Sign in to follow this  
dixie_boysles

Rooting and Applying Custom ROM

Alright, I have searched multiple Forums, was recommended here and now I must ask because I am frustrated. I have the 2.3.4 GB and I HATE it with a passion. I HATED 2.2 as well. Loved 2.1 but dont want to be stuck in the past. I have had a horrible experience with my phone and am ready to switch unless I do something with it. I have read multiple sites and it is all very confusing. i understand that Rooting is gaining Superuser access and that flashing a rom is like installing a new OS.

But every site I go to seems to make thing difficult by talking about all this extra crap and then not mentioning what the heck it is for and what it does. SOOO

1) What is the fasted easiest way to Root my phone?

2) What is the BEST ROM to use that is stable, doesnt have all the bloatware on it, and is really nice and smooth?

3) How do i install this ROM

4) What is Voodoo and lagfix crap I keep reading about and is it necessary

5) Are all the above all i need to install or do I need more crap to have a properly working phone without any problems

Like I said, it should not be this hard to do all this, but everytime I get the courage to do it, i start reading and then i get all this rooting jargon and keep what I have.

I have no Mez experience so hoping one of our members here that has actually done the process will chime in. I can direct you here: http://www.teamuscellular.com/Forum/vie ... f=74&t=241 if you haven't read it already. If nobody chimes in I will try and contact you personally and do my best. I have faith in our members though. :-)

That helps! BUT I have 2.3.4, that thread mentions having 2.2 then doing it so im not sure if it will help. i guess my problem is not so much the rooting thing, that seems easy. its the Loading custom ROMS. Dont get me wrong, i love the look and feel of my phone, but HATE the glitchy crap and bloatware and laggyness of it since update to 2.3.

I look at all the ROMS, and its like "well this doesnt work and this does work" Look under the list of "Doesnt Work" on the latest CWM7 for the Mez, SMS and camera doesnt work, wtf. what good will my phone do me then? Like I said I want a stable, fast ROM that I can load apps on and stuff just like stock that wont cause me issues. I seen the SuperClean ROM that says its basically like GB, but without bloatware. I would like something like that, but aI want all the feature of my phone to work

Use ODIN. It's idiot proof. That's why I used it. I'm not sure if there is a way to root gingerbread yet but you can use ODIN to flash a pre rooted stock gingerbread rom. You can also flash a Clockwork mod recovery which you'll need if you want to try out developer's roms. The stock rom is good once you have it rooted you can remove bloat apps that cause alot of the slow down with Titanium backup from the market. That has worked best for me. This sounds complicated but it's really simple.

I am really sorry that I haven't answered this post yet. Normally I would have been all over this! I have been MIA lately due to work being out of site..but don't worry, BigDaddy is back ;) Do you still need some help? I can point you in the right direction if Need be and get you on your way to root with your Mez. Incidentally there is not a 1-click root solution for 2.3.4 yet but it really isn't necessary. PM me if you want some help and I will give you a write-up that answers your questions and gets you where you need to be. Furthermore, I would reccommend you running Awesome Sauce...its super stable and the developer is a hell of a nice guy who does quality work and has worked with Team Heinz. But there are other good roms as well TSM is nice as well as MIUI...so it is up to you. As I said PM me and I can get you started if you still need help....

i agree with big daddy. Awesome Sauce is a very good ROM for the Mes and runs very well if you go through the flashing process properly. i am currently running it on my Mes. if you want to start out with something more simple, JP has also made a stock GB rom that is debloated and deodexed that runs clean as a pin. i would suggest going small at first to get the hang of it before you jump into custom ROMs, just so you can familiarize yourself with the processes. i did some soft bricks to my Mes going through different flashing processes, but not only was it a learning experience, but my Mes is okay and running better than ever

I'm going to agree with awesome sauce rom as well! I'm sure bigdaddy30 has already got you going but if you need more help feel free to pm me or keep posting here!

Any new updates on this?

I face the same thing, sort of, really didn't love 2.1, laggy, battery life.

Jumped from 2.1 right to 2.3.4, never did install 2.2.

Well now after fight the little things that don't work well with 2.3.4, I think I am ready to root.

Thought about getting an Electrify, would really like to wait until 4G and hopefully Galaxy 2. But both could be a long time.

So not that I can't live with my stock Mez if I had to but...........................................

Going to need step by step instructions, and I mean step by step.

What to D/L, what to back up and with what, what order to do all this in, ROM, Kernels, VooDoo, awesome sauce. All well above my head.

Ya know I looked at the link provided www.teamuscellular.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=241 but even it was all greek.

Thanks for any info,

Merv

hey Merv. if you are ready to root, that is cool. i waited for a good while to do so myself, but now that i am rooted and running a custom ROM i am quite happy with the decision. if you are looking to improve battery life though, you might not get that out of rooting, especially if you use a custom ROM which usually will overclock your CPU out of the box. this can and will decrease battery life, but your Mes will be faster. since i have had my Mes, i have realized that the days of going more than a day before charging again are long gone especially with heavy use, so i am prepared to keep my battery going strong throughout the day via several charging cables in locations i can use them while working, home, etc. as far as rooting your Mes, you can use superoneclick if you wish to root the phone yourself. if you want something a little easier, there is as prerooted stock gingerbread ROM available that is flashable with Odin, which means when you successfully flash it, you will be rooted right away with the superuser app preinstalled. another thing to consider is that rooting, and even running a custom ROM will probably not fix problems that you might experience with the stock version of GB because the ones that are easier to run are based off of the stock GB for the Mes, so in turn those problems would still be there since the core of both ROMs would be the same. basically, the only thing you will get out of a custom ROM is different theming and better performance of the device, but some problems will not change. it is well known that GB for the Mes has some issues, thus custom ROMs based on it do as well, but what people don't realize is that samsung needs to fix the stock build before the custom builds will be better. if you don't report issues to samsung, then don't blame the custom ROM dev for issues because samsung needs to fix them. anyway, daheazle has a pretty good tutorial for getting Awesome Sauce running on your Mes here. being a noob, a ROM like AS is a great place to start because it is based off of the stock gingerbread ROM for the Mes and runs very good. when you become more familiar with this stuff, you can go into ROMs that run in a different format like Cyanogenmod. my advice is, read up on it. look at as much threads here that you can regarding rooting the Mes, because you should be well informed before trying it. when i was a newbie not too long ago, i did my best and even soft bricked my phone a few times in the learning process, but i got through the rough stuff and am now successful at this kind of stuff. the info to get you started is here, so read up. if you have any questions, we will answer them for you when we can

Hey, thanks, great write up.

Battery life issue shouldn't be a problem, charger in car and at work. Getting about 16 hrs under normal use now.

Was actually getting more, changed launcher to ADW and using the Fancy Widgets weather/clock, sucking more battery.

I'd be nice to run faster, but if it isn't going to fix most of what GB lacks, apathy will probably keep me from rooting.

I can get a few different looks with launchers, D/L'ed GO and as said above ADW, have tried Pro.

Might just delete all, settle with TouchWiz, hope for new fantastic phones when and if 4G hits soon.

Will keep this article, forum and your advise in mind if and when I get around to doing something.

Once again, THANKS

Merv