DigiMuzik

Electrify / Hero S upgradeable to 4G? "Outlook not so good"

Would you be willing to at least try a WP7 for 7 days?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to at least try a WP7 for 7 days?

• Yes
    • No
    • Might Consider

Update

The only reason I kept this going was because I was told by someone who should have honestly known better that this was possible. I have since re-contacted the store where I heard this and spoken to someone else who confirmed what most everyone else is saying: that person was wrong. I've also learned the difference between corporate and agent stores and while I thought this was the former, it was the latter. (Nothing at all against Agent stores; I've heard good things about them - they're just farther removed from US Cellular, and you need to take their "too-good-to-be-true" promises with a bit of salt.)

Here are the facts as far as I know them - if anyone has proof/evidence to add, I'll gladly update this post.

• [*:1ynq760w]The Electrify, in particular, has none of the same 4G guts as the Photon - See Cythrawls many posts/pics in this thread for proof
(as I responded, I never doubted this even from the start - I just got too hung up on the trustworthiness of a US Cellular employee and the word 'Upgradeable' which is different than 4G-Capabale)
  • [*:1ynq760w]US Cellular IS indeed rolling out some sort of 4G network next year, complete with new phones that will definitely have 4G -
http://www.uscellular.com/4G
[*:1ynq760w]A US Cellular employee tried to convince me the Electrify would be 'Upgradeable' to 4G, but they have since been corrected by their coworkers - no proof other than my word, but I have no reason to lie - they didn't convince me to keep my phone
[*:1ynq760w]Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner - there are some great deals on phones, just not 4G ones - http://teamuscellular.com/2011/11/us-ce ... ay-prices/

In order to help others out, if you ever hear an agent tell you or someone else these phones will be 'upgradeable' to 4G, kindly advise them to speak to their supervisor/manager/tech agent to get their facts straight so they do not mislead any other customers.

Original Post

I finally returned my Electrify last week. Going to stick with my Desire for a while longer. But when I told the agent one of my reasons for switching was the new 4G availability maps (http://www.uscellular.com/4G/map-preview.html), she said that the Electify and Hero S were both 4G phones, or would be 'upgradeable' to 4G. There's an interesting cookie to nibble on. Anybody know more details about this?

That would be great. The only question I have is their sprint siblings, (photon 4g & evo design 4g) are wimax & us cellular 4g is lte I'm not sure how well they will play together or if at all. Not sure what 4g format they would have, hopefully lte. Someone more in the know will have to answer that. I hope they do have the 4g & that they can be turned on.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

The only way that it'll work is if they went with the Atrix design from ATT when they made this phone and it would have to be the Atrix 4G if I am not mistaken to accomadate the LTE hardware, if the LTE hardware is their, then a firmware update (the one that is coming out) could possibly enable it, more than likely it's not and you will have to get a new phone, not everything in life is free ^-^

Alright I am going to put this misinformation to rest for the final time.. (Because I am beginning to start to sound like a broken record with this)

The Electrify does NOT have 4G Antennas in the device.

(The HERO-S too is in this category)

I get so annoyed over this, and the fact that people wont take it as an actual fact (USCC Agent stores as well - and that some sort of magical software will make this work) that I took the liberty of pulling one apart, and highlighting the areas where the 4G Antennas (connectors) and components would be (and ARE there on the Sprint Photon 4G)

Its not there.. The Phone will NEVER get a 4G Signal... EVER!!!!

Consider this debate, in the grave...

This is not a dig at anyone, just getting tired of hearing the same stuff again and again....and again..

I wondered if I'd hear from you, as I saw your similarly vehement reply on another forum. ^-^

So the Electrify doesn't have the same 4G guts as the Photon. That's great evidence. But I don't say that's enough to put this debate 'in the grave'. I'm certainly not stating that I know 'for a fact' these phones will run at 4G speeds; I'm just opening up to USCC-related discussion. Here are still some open points:

Different Technology

WiMAX isn't the same technology as LTE. Do they use the same hardware? Is USCC's LTE the same as Verizon's? Maybe some soft-switch can be flipped to use the phone's current hardware at higher speeds. I'm certainly not a cell-phone tech expert to know this, but as a developer, I have seen and programmed enough 'magical switches' to know magic is possible. :)

Hard/Soft Upgrade/Replacement

If a hardware change is required, perhaps there's some plan to allow devices to be sent away for a modification or to be replaced outright, perhaps for some fee (they never said it was freely upgradeable). Sure, that's a longshot, but does anyone know one way or the other for sure?

US Cellular's Commitment to Customer Service

This is mostly why I want an answer direct from US cellular. If there is no way these phones are being upgraded, they need to get the word out to their agents pronto. If they're pushing these phones as being 4G phones incorrectly, that's seriously false advertising. And if a customer buys a phone under that pretense, they should at least be given the opportunity to re-upgrade to a real 4G device when one is available, preferably with some sort of buy-back for their old device. Since US Cellular likes to keep its customers happy, I see this as a very likely option if all else fails.

It sounds like the agent locations are not being honest with their customers, or they are simply dumb and don't understand that 4G really is not just a switch that uscc isn't telling us about. There is no magical switch, the hardware of the phone will not support 4G. In order to run 4G a second antenna is required. These phones do not have and will not be getting 4G.

Besides, 4G is all hype anyway and I'd not a deal breaker for these phones. I honestly wouldn't want 4G on the current data plans. It doesn't bother her in the slightest not having 4G, because the phone still rocks my socks.

Sent from my MB855

I wondered if I'd hear from you, as I saw your similarly vehement reply on another forum. :)

So the Electrify doesn't have the same 4G guts as the Photon. That's great evidence. But I don't say that's enough to put this debate 'in the grave'. I'm certainly not stating that I know 'for a fact' these phones will run at 4G speeds; I'm just opening up to USCC-related discussion. Here are still some open points:

Different Technology

WiMAX isn't the same technology as LTE. Do they use the same hardware? Is USCC's LTE the same as Verizon's? Maybe some soft-switch can be flipped to use the phone's current hardware at higher speeds. I'm certainly not a cell-phone tech expert to know this, but as a developer, I have seen and programmed enough 'magical switches' to know magic is possible. :)

If a hardware change is required, perhaps there's some plan to allow devices to be sent away for a modification or to be replaced outright, perhaps for some fee (they never said it was freely upgradeable). Sure, that's a longshot, but does anyone know one way or the other for sure?

This is mostly why I want an answer direct from US cellular. If there is no way these phones are being upgraded, they need to get the word out to their agents pronto. If they're pushing these phones as being 4G phones incorrectly, that's seriously false advertising. And if a customer buys a phone under that pretense, they should at least be given the opportunity to re-upgrade to a real 4G device when one is available, preferably with some sort of buy-back for their old device. Since US Cellular likes to keep its customers happy, I see this as a very likely option if all else fails.

That is all well and good, but it would need a 4G Antenna RF rececpiticle.

Which as you can see on the Photo it does NOT.

There is a 3G one at the bottom of the phone.

The others are on the left are QUITE CLEARLY free of the Antenna RF recepticals. Those NEED TO BE THERE to test the phone in the factory or in an RF isolation array to test the RF on the phone.

If you dont have any way of testing the RF the device does NOT get FCC Approved.

They AREN'T THERE... PERIOD.

You can easily see this by just taking your battery cover off. Go on- do it... Come back when you have done so...

Done it?? Ok Good...

Now get a sharp object like a pin, tooth pic or something (dont worry I am not going to tell you to break your phone)

Underneath the kickstand there is a rubber stopper. Use your pin/toothpick to remove it...

On the left there are two more... again use you toothpick/pin to remove them... Now look at them... ALL of them...

You will see only ONE has a connector.. not 2, not three, but ONE.... All phones (even those cheap nasty ones) have easy access to the RF recepticals so you dont have to pull the whole thing apart to put it into test equipment. Some phone have it behind the battery, but there are there for all of them. The fact there are connectors physically MISSING and me even showing you on the darn board, is a pretty darn good indicator that there is NO FRAKKING 4G Antennas at all on this device.

No magical software fix isn't going to make this happen.. That is like saying a 3 core Intel i5 CPU has 6 cores in it that are magically unlocked with software.. it doesn't and it wont...

Im sorry, but this is gone to the grave. Its like arguing that Santa Clause is a real person who lives on the north pole, delivers presents to billions of kids in one night with zero proof..

I gave you proof and yet you STILL deny it... is this a religion or something?

And you wonder why my reply about this topic are so vehement... because people like you cant accept the truth even with proof staring you point blank in the face.

^-^

Not all agent locations are so obviously incompetent, just fyi. I run my store with the expectation that every associate knows the capabilities and limitations of every device, including both hardware and software specs and available updates. If they can't/won't, theyre gone.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

I wondered if I'd hear from you, as I saw your similarly vehement reply on another forum. :)

Different Technology

That is all well and good, but it would need a 4G Antenna RF rececpiticle.

Which as you can see on the Photo it does NOT.

There is a 3G one at the bottom of the phone.

The others are on the left are QUITE CLEARLY free of the Antenna RF recepticals. Those NEED TO BE THERE to test the phone in the factory or in an RF isolation array to test the RF on the phone.

If you dont have any way of testing the RF the device does NOT get FTC Approved.

They AREN'T THERE... PERIOD.

No magical software fix isn't going to make this happen.. That is like saying a 3 core Intel i5 CPU has 6 cores in it that are magically unlocked with software.. it doesn't and it wont...

Im sorry, but this is gone to the grave. Its like arguing that Santa Clause is a real person who lives on the north pole, delivers presents to billions of kids in one night with zero proof..

I gave you proof and yet you STILL deny it... is this a religion or something?

Actually I thought it was religion that yelled and screamed at people who choose to disagree, and has to go around making sure everyone knows they're right...not the other way around. ^-^:)

Sent from my HTC Merge

Actually I thought it was religion that yelled and screamed at people who choose to disagree, and has to go around making sure everyone knows they're right...not the other way around. :) :)

Sent from my HTC Merge

Think this explains what I meant to say more clearly, Gotta love Douglas Adams.... :)

The Babel fish is small, yellow, leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the NON-existence of God.

The argument goes like this:

`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book, "Well, That about Wraps It Up for God."

^-^

WHAT!?!? I hate Christmas now... thanks. >^-^

Cythrawl, I thought you were generally helpful on this forum and actually read people's posts. What gives? I listed three possibilities outside of the missing antenna, and you didn't respond to any of them; you just repeated your story about the missing antenna. You've obviously spent plenty of time digging into this (I like taking apart my electronics too!), and I'm sorry you feel like nobody's listening. I fully agree with you that the Electrify does not have the same 4G hardware as the Photon and have never disagreed with that point. Please read my post and don't accuse me of "denying your proof." Stop squashing legitimate discussion in a "General Discussion" forum.

Also, stop killing our Christmas cheer. Believing is seeing! And... something about wormholes or rips in the fabric of space-time. I saw it in a movie once, so it must be true.

OK I see both sides and I too have been wondering this question. I do have a couple questions That I'm sure can easily be answered so help clear some things up for me.

1. has anyone else notice that in the build.prop there are allot of setting turned on and off dealing with the LTE setting?

2. in this build.prop it names VZW4g sim card (yes Verizon uses a 4g sim card) so will this be USCC way as well?

3. Speaking of Verizon's 4g phones my friend has the Thunderbolt with the VWZ4g sim card and there are special copper contacts on the back cover that looks like they are the antennas so is this possible with the Electrify?

4. Being these unused connections like the top one next to the camera, the plug covers a screw right by the hole so an add-on could be screwed into place to accommodate this antenna for these copper contacts like the thunderbolt?

I know I am reaching on some of this but I was a little shocked when I read the build.prop and it listed not only LTE settings but Verizon 4g on my USCC Electrify phone. And if you look at the 4g areas USCC and Verizon will be very similar.

Side note I am wondering if I remove the comments on the lte lines and inserted my friends 4g sim card if anything would happen??? Any ideas from a programmer on this meaning would I not only likely crash my phone but possible damage the sim card?

Just for a heads up, I did my 4GLTE training, and it says right in there that the Electrify is NOT a 4G Phone (It does however show some devices that ARE and I can say right now that every device we are selling CURRENTLY as of 11/18/11 is totally NOT nor EVER WILL BE 4G Capable.)

Now I cant exactly leak a slide or internal company documents and I am not about to lose my job trying to put a stop to this utter myth you keep spreading, but all of you conspire against the truth when even darn well USCC employees tell you the 4G is stripped (Motorola's words... STRIPPED) from this phone.. They (Motorola) have said from day one (which I might add I have ALSO been saying from day one when the Electrify was announced and I SAW it in testing internally) that Motorola was concentrating on getting the best 3G service out of it.

The Build.prop will have the 4G references to it as the phones beating heart is a Photon. The fact that Photon ROMS work on it is a great indicator of this (And no the 4G enable does NOT work on them either) if it was the software, Homebase ROM would be able to turn on the 4G.. it tries, and then fails and stops... The Cyanogen Photon ROM works with zero modifications (apart from APNs)

I think the total speculation you have going in this thread (regardless to people telling you otherwise) is going to get people's expectations up, and when you are all disappointed when it DOESN'T (And WONT) Happen. us USCC employees are going to take the flak because of non-based in fact rumors started on here.. if I get one customer who is ripped because 4G isn't on the Electrify and they say well "Digimuzik on TeamUSCC Forums said otherwise" are you going to supply a way for these customers to vent at you instead of us?^-^

No I didn't think so..

If a customer tells me an Agent location told them this, I will report it to the Area Agent Manager.. Who will in turn deal with the issue.

What I am trying to do is stop the FUD that is gathering in this thread... I am TRYING to stop people from expecting something that ISN'T going to happen....

I Cant even believe this discussion is carrying on. Whats next? a personal signed letter from Mary Dillon.. Or maybe a signed Email from Motorola...

In fact let me email someone in our Device Group *high up in the company* and I will personally email to you the reply.. and maybe THEN, we can all stop this utter bulldung...

If they want to vent at me, they're more than welcome to come to this thread where I have not said anything false. You're welcome to tell them your username so they can clearly see you never promised 4g from these devices.

If other people think my original post is misleading, I'd be more than happy to add a big scary disclaimer to say I'm not promising or saying this is a for sure thing. I think anyone who takes a few seconds to actually read this thread will realize most people don't think this will happen. Including me, since I didn't buy the agent's line and returned my phone anyway.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

OK I see both sides and I too have been wondering this question. I do have a couple questions That I'm sure can easily be answered so help clear some things up for me.

1. has anyone else notice that in the build.prop there are allot of setting turned on and off dealing with the LTE setting?

Yes it will.. its a Sunfirebased ROM. Sunfire is also the Photon Designation. It has some left over fluff from the Photon in there.

2. in this build.prop it names VZW4g sim card (yes Verizon uses a 4g sim card) so will this be USCC way as well?

Yes LTE Sim cards are required. This will be the same for USCC. LTE on USCC & Verizon are for Data only, there is no customer info stored on the SIM, you wont be able to swap SIMS out and it just work like it does on GSM. its just for Data Only. LTE is a hybrid extension of GSM and not CDMA.. its kinda like a GSM Datapath piggy backed on top of the CDAM Voice Path...

3. Speaking of Verizon's 4g phones my friend has the Thunderbolt with the VWZ4g sim card and there are special copper contacts on the back cover that looks like they are the antennas so is this possible with the Electrify?

Those are usually for charge pad charging.. If the Antenna was part of the metal rear cover you would get a similar iPhone type Antenna problem when you hold it otherwise.. HTC have been adding Charge Pad Hardware on their phones now for about 7-8 months..

4. Being these unused connections like the top one next to the camera, the plug covers a screw right by the hole so an add-on could be screwed into place to accommodate this antenna for these copper contacts like the thunderbolt?

Sorry.. my mistake (there is one next to the memory Card Slot (look hard and you will see it). Thats the Bluetooth one.. The one next to the camera would still need an external way of plugging in the RF port.. You would have to fix that connector to the board along with the caps and other components needed to regulate the voltage to it as well.. those are also not there... Sorry I wish it WAS that way. but it isnt... hence why I am getting a little passionate about this subject.

I know I am reaching on some of this but I was a little shocked when I read the build.prop and it listed not only LTE settings but Verizon 4g on my USCC Electrify phone. And if you look at the 4g areas USCC and Verizon will be very similar.

Side note I am wondering if I remove the comments on the lte lines and inserted my friends 4g sim card if anything would happen??? Any ideas from a programmer on this meaning would I not only likely crash my phone but possible damage the sim card?

No that wont work. You can put the HomeBase or any other Photon Stock ROM on the Electrify, the 4G sections are in the Wireless Networks settings, and you can try to turn them on, but they fail. If I remember right logcat reports the errors, but I dont remember what it is, and I am not about to try Homebase again any time soon.

In fact let me email someone in our Device Group *high up in the company* and I will personally email to you the reply...

I would love and look forward to something like that (some public statement from US Cellular would be even better). But what I'd love more is for agents to be educated and stop spreading false information. They're the ones telling people that the Electify and the Hero S will be 4G phones, not me. That was my point in the 'customer service' option...people are going to be ticked that their US Cellular Agent/Salesperson told them it was a 4G phone, not some random guy on a forum.

That was the point of this thread in the first place... to get some answers to the misinformation (if that's what it is) that's out there.

I think the total speculation you have going in this thread (regardless to people telling you otherwise) is going to get people's expectations up, and when you are all disappointed when it DOESN'T (And WONT) Happen. us USCC employees are going to take the flak because of non-based in fact rumors started on here.. if I get one customer who is ripped because 4G isn't on the Electrify and they say well "Digimuzik on TeamUSCC Forums said otherwise" are you going to supply a way for these customers to vent at you instead of us?;D

That is absolutely enough! We all know this forum would not exist without speculation. We make that perfectly clear and show we are not affiliated or have any ties to USCC. If you cannot live with this forum speculations, stay out of this topic. I understand this topic is very passionate to you but you cannot come after members with remarks like that as for anybody else. You as employees are trained to take the flak if a website creates it whether it be this site or any other. I'm very disappointed with the emotions that come into this rather than sticking to the facts or just allowing the rumors to fly if you cannot keep emotions out of it. I know words in writing can be taken out of context and come across a lot stronger than you intend but this is getting out of hand. I'm not saying you people cannot have emotions and must be zombies but please be respectful to each other and keep from attacking each other or pointing fingers. Rumors and speculation will always be allowed here and that is a fact. So all of you need to get your emotions in check or this topic will be closed. I'm not saying Cyth is the only one wrong or out of line but this hurt me deeply seeing this directed at our members. On that note, keep on posting but also be respectful of the facts and evidence that has already been posted. We do not need to keep beating the same topic to death. Questions are always allowed though.

P.S. I will also refer to our site rules: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=445. Thank you.

Yes it will.. its a Sunfirebased ROM. Sunfire is also the Photon Designation. It has some left over fluff from the Photon in there.

Yes LTE Sim cards are required. This will be the same for USCC. LTE on USCC & Verizon are for Data only, there is no customer info stored on the SIM, you wont be able to swap SIMS out and it just work like it does on GSM. its just for Data Only. LTE is a hybrid extension of GSM and not CDMA.. its kinda like a GSM Datapath piggy backed on top of the CDAM Voice Path...

Those are usually for charge pad charging.. If the Antenna was part of the metal rear cover you would get a similar iPhone type Antenna problem when you hold it otherwise.. HTC have been adding Charge Pad Hardware on their phones now for about 7-8 months..

Sorry.. my mistake (there is one next to the memory Card Slot (look hard and you will see it). Thats the Bluetooth one.. The one next to the camera would still need an external way of plugging in the RF port.. You would have to fix that connector to the board along with the caps and other components needed to regulate the voltage to it as well.. those are also not there... Sorry I wish it WAS that way. but it isnt... hence why I am getting a little passionate about this subject.

No that wont work. You can put the HomeBase or any other Photon Stock ROM on the Electrify, the 4G sections are in the Wireless Networks settings, and you can try to turn them on, but they fail. If I remember right logcat reports the errors, but I dont remember what it is, and I am not about to try Homebase again any time soon.

Not trying to fuel the fire or anything in this thread but why do you keep mentioning the photon in regards to the "LTE is all over the build prop" comment? The photon does not officially have anything to do with LTE.

Also just a bit more food for thought on the subject at the link below there is a screenshot shown where an LTE modem does show up from the photon in device manager. Also in the link there is information about a confidentiality request with the FCC which is interesting. Not that any of this is necessarily the same for the electrify just some interesting information.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1233294

That is absolutely enough! We all know this forum would not exist without speculation. We make that perfectly clear and show we are not affiliated or have any ties to USCC. If you cannot live with this forum speculations, stay out of this topic. I understand this topic is very passionate to you but you cannot come after members with remarks like that as for anybody else. You as employees are trained to take the flak if a website creates it whether it be this site or any other. I'm very disappointed with the emotions that come into this rather than sticking to the facts or just allowing the rumors to fly if you cannot keep emotions out of it. I know words in writing can be taken out of context and come across a lot stronger than you intend but this is getting out of hand. I'm not saying you people cannot have emotions and must be zombies but please be respectful to each other and keep from attacking each other or pointing fingers. Rumors and speculation will always be allowed here and that is a fact. So all of you need to get your emotions in check or this topic will be closed. I'm not saying Cyth is the only one wrong or out of line but this hurt me deeply seeing this directed at our members. On that note, keep on posting but also be respectful of the facts and evidence that has already been posted. We do not need to keep beating the same topic to death. Questions are always allowed though.

P.S. I will also refer to our site rules: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=445. Thank you.

I will publicly apologize, I kinda stepped over the line (bad day TBH).

Thing is, this is speculation (and backed up with zero facts or proof) so why is it in the Electrify Thread?... Surly this must be moved to the rumor mill where all the other speculations go and not on the main thread of a device...

Just sayin'

Not trying to fuel the fire or anything in this thread but why do you keep mentioning the photon in regards to the "LTE is all over the build prop" comment? The photon does not officially have anything to do with LTE.

Also just a bit more food for thought on the subject at the link below there is a screenshot shown where an LTE modem does show up from the photon in device manager. Also in the link there is information about a confidentiality request with the FCC which is interesting. Not that any of this is necessarily the same for the electrify just some interesting information.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1233294

I am done with this speculation.. I will state "Wait and see" when our 4G network rolls out..

If I am right I will be posting a big picture of Nelson Muntz in this thread saying "I told you so"

If I am wrong, I am sure you guys can think of something for me to do in response..

;D

If I am wrong, I am sure you guys can think of something for me to do in response..

;D

Pay for our (Electrify owners') 4G upgrades ;D (if there is actually any cost involved). But FTR I'm with you on this speculation...

;D

Pay for our (Electrify owners') 4G upgrades ;D (if there is actually any cost involved). But FTR I'm with you on this speculation...

Anything requiring money is deffo out... Esp on the wages we are on ;D