Sign in to follow this  
DaddyDobie

Question on using recovery...

For some reason my phone didn't like loading CM7 with cMTD, I did the same steps about 4 or 5 times and it finally just worked. I want to play around with some different ROMs now to see if I like any others better, but I don't want to have to mess with using cMTD removals and hoping I can get everything working again. If I backup with CW, then flash another ROM with cMTD, can I just use Recovery to get CM7+cMTD back?

For some reason my phone didn't like loading CM7 with cMTD, I did the same steps about 4 or 5 times and it finally just worked. I want to play around with some different ROMs now to see if I like any others better, but I don't want to have to mess with using cMTD removals and hoping I can get everything working again. If I backup with CW, then flash another ROM with cMTD, can I just use Recovery to get CM7+cMTD back?

Do you have my Desire? Sounds like same issues I had at first.... Here's the thing. Most other ROMs use different cMTD values. I can't say for certain that you couldn't do this but it's usually not recommended. As long as you backup, we will get you back to that I promise. Once the cMTD and everything has loaded once, it seems to work better/easier after that. I'm sure others can pop in with more info if I missed anything. Hope this helps!

You can go back to CM7 backup. After you restore the backup of CM7 you will have to run the boot.zip you got for you cmtd originally. Just one extra step than normal. Not a big deal. You can also use the same cmtd files for most roms. I have used the cmtd files from Ethereal Rom for all the roms I've tried so far.

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. I have nandroid backups of Oxygen 2.3.2 with cMTD and MIUI without cMTD. I am planning to install MIUI with cMTD next. If I decide to go from MIUI back to Oxygen, and both have cMTD, do I need to use recovery first? Are you saying all I would need to do is restore my Oxygen nandroid backup and run boot-cMTD.zip again? Wouldn't I also need to modify the mtdpartmap.txt since they use different settings? Also, what wipes would be needed?

There are two files, boot.zip and recovery.zip. All they really do is tell either your ROM or CWM recovery what your partition sizes are (based on mtdpartmap.txt). If you don't change the sizes, you don't need to install recovery.zip between flashes/resotres of MIUI/Oxygen/Anything.

If you do change the sizes, you'll need to format boot, system, data, and cache, flash recovery.zip, and then do the advanced->reboot recovery option. Otherwise, you can leave your data and cache alone when flashing between ROMs (though for a really 'clean' install, it's still a good idea).

After flashing any ROM or restoring a nandroid backup that used cMTD, go ahead and flash boot.zip since the ROM likely re-wrote the boot partition and won't recognize the partitions unless you flash boot.zip.

If you want to restore a nandroid backup, all you have to do is make sure your recovery is flashed to cMTD sizes big enough to hold each partition.