Sign in to follow this  
EliezerB

Can replace unlock pattern screen with regular password?

My wife has an HTC Desire (not rooted). Is it possible (via app or OS upgrade via US Cellular) to replace the poor pattern unlock screen with a normal password unlock screen? She currently has v2.1, upgrade 1.

Has US Cellular released any Android upgrades for this phone yet? If so, how does she get them?

Thanks,

Eliezer

You should be able to change the screen unlock security to either a PIN or a password. Look for settings under Menu and security to find the different options. I’m not running 2.1 Eclair with HTC Sense anymore or I’d tell you exactly where to find them.

US Cellular and HTC released the 2.2 Froyo update about a year ago. Start here to learn about and download the official upgrade. The HTC Desire is the last phone listed on this page.

http://www.uscellular.com/androidupgrades

Although the HTC Desire is now considered a somewhat old and limited device compared to today’s newer phones, you can breath some new life into it by installing 3rd party ROMs. I’m running Oxygen which is now Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The most significant advantages of 3rd party ROMs is much better memory management to get around the Desire’s limited memory, allowing you to install a lot more apps, and also significantly better battery life. I learned to ropes to installing Oxygen from other posts on this forum. It takes a little research and reading, but isn’t difficult if that should interest you at some point.

I went through all the Eclair settings and it seems there is no such option to switch to a password. Does Froyo allow for swapping the pattern with a regular password?

I had the option in eclair to do so... not sure why it is being weird now.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

I had the option in eclair to do so... not sure why it is being weird now.

Is anyone able to provide me with step-by-step instructions so I can try this?

hit Menu, settings, click something to the effect of Location and Security, click set up screen lock. Should give you: None, Password, Pattern or Pin" if I remember correctly. There ya go

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

From what I can find on the interwebz, it seems like 2.1 only allows the pattern for security.

As gpgp00 said you could update the phone to 2.2, or you could use a 3rd party app