• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 40oz2freedom1

40oz2freedom1

New Here

• 1 posts
  • Device:Blackberry Bold 9650

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

Any chances when the iPhone 5 releases and with the compatibility of 4G LTE we will see it available for USCC?

Edited by 40oz2freedom1, 23 April 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#2 comprichard

comprichard

Kewl

• 104 posts
  • Device:galaxy s2

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Looking at how sprint is lying and practically stealing from its customers just to stay afloat I hope not

#3 freibrauer

freibrauer

Kewl

• 151 posts
  • Device:LG Optimus

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Looking at how sprint is lying and practically stealing from its customers just to stay afloat I hope not

Hu? What did they lie about? Or steal?

#4 comprichard

comprichard

Kewl

• 104 posts
  • Device:galaxy s2

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hard to edit.
Its quite normal to see post on how stores tell customers they will waive fees then when the bill arrives they are told sorry we don't waive those yet day after day stores do it with no repercussions
Yet the customer has to pay.

Its also common to people complaining about slow data speeds and when asked why did you stay the response is almost always that when they called or went to a store it was either a software issue or a temporary tower issue then when the fourteen days is up now it becomes well sorry you can pay the etf.

Next common issue is city's like Chicago where multiple complaints are made daily since march.
Sprints answer from the forums is

We are currently waiting on the network vision upgrades so as towers degrade we are shunting traffic to other towers. Which has caused an overload.
estimated time to fix June or July.
Are they waiving etf fees even though them causing the problem by not fixing towers as they degrade NO..

Now if you feel that's OK then I suggest you run on over there and sign up and don't worry if you can't make calls or get online just make sure you pay them every month and sooner or later they might fix it.

#5 badge

badge

Amazing Person

• 536 posts
  • Device:Most of them

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Apple charges the carriers an arm and a leg for the Iphone. I don't think it would be profitable for US Cellular.
  • nicholas9543 likes this

#6 Johntriger

Johntriger

Amazing Person

• 471 posts
  • Phone #:9186414604
  • Device:Samsung S3, Nexus 7
  • Google Talk:johntriger@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:johntriger@gmail.com

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Apple charges the carriers an arm and a leg for the Iphone. I don't think it would be profitable for US Cellular.

us cellular barley makes much as it is giving out many battery's a day to all its customers. the stores are allways busy wheni go and there are at least 1-2 people per like 30 min i am there who come to swap battery's. they are not cheap probably like 10$ or more each bought in bulk. ( just a ruff estimate maybe someone can clarify but i dont know the exact amount) apple doesnt even allow companys to touch there phones you have to go to the apple store which would make battery swap not work... it would be a total jip for uscc to get an iphone. plus sense replacement fee for iphone is like 800...and uscc changes 100 to replace your phone on certain plans. it seems a bit illogical for them to ever get the iphone.
  • nicholas9543 likes this

Email me for help here: johntriger@gmail.com  

(Super Fancy Donate Button)

#7 RWC4USC

RWC4USC

Kewler Than Kewl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Some important things to think about before you want to demand an iPhone. 1st off, Apple is very unreasonable when it comes to selling the iPhone. Some may argue and say they have a right to be so arrogant about their product, but at the same time, the cell phone industry is a very competetive market. So they should at least be reasonable. Apple sells their iPhones to the carriers at right around $500-$600 a phone. Which means when the company sells you the iPhone immediately they are losing out on the phone. And Apple also requires the phone carrier to purchase "X" number of iPhones, and if the carrier can't sell all of those iPhones, 'Hey too bad for them'. They're out of luck on that one... Of course they earn all of this money they invest through your monthly plan, but it is an intial loss up front...so w/ a company like US Cellular that offers a 1-and-done contract, if a customer were out of contract, renewed, got the iPhone, and then bailed USC would be out of money. Thus I'm sure there would be some sort of extra contract/agreement that would come w/ the phone. It would be too risky to not take that route.

Also look at the history of all the carriers that got the iPhone. They one way or another had to find a way to make up for those upfront costs.
AT&T - Jacked their prices up, Got rid of their unlimited data, then began throtling their data.
Verizon - Jacked their prices up
Sprint - Didn't jack their prices up, but got rid of their 1-year contracts, got rid of their customer loyalty program, and cut a lot of towers out of their network as a short-term fix to somewhat cancel out to upfront loss due to purchasing the iPhone

Now, with that all being said. In my professional opinion, and this is in no way official. But I believe that US Cellular is more likely to get the iPhone in 2012, then in any year previously. First obvious reason, which has already been well stated, iPhone 5 will be LTE, and US Cellular stated in 2011 they would consider the iPhone when they had 4G LTE technology. Second, Q3 of 2011 had good results. Q3 of '11 had low churn, meaning US Cellular gained more customers then they lost. And the revenue per customer was better then in the previous year Q3 of 2010...then Q4 came along and everything went south. What else happened in Q4? iPhone 4S came out. I think that a couple of things were a result of this. One, they had a lot of their money invested in rolling out 4G LTE as quickly as possible. Two, I don't think they realized the negative impact it was really going to have on the company. Yeah iPhones had been released before, but before it was only on 1, or 2 carriers. Now you have Sprint, C-Spire, and several other smaller carriers getting the iPhone. Which meant more possibilities that the customer would leave for another company simply for the iPhone.

Do I want to see increased prices or sacrafice call quality by cutting towers out of the network just so we can sell the iPhone? No, not really. I wish the average consumer realized that anything the iPhone can do, Android can do better. But the fact is, the average consumer isn't going to realize that. They see iPhone everywhere they go. On TV, at Wal-Mart, on the internet. There are iHomes, iPods, iPads, Apple has marketed their product very well.

Will US Cellular get the iPhone 5? I'd say there's an 90% chance that they will...the iPhone may cost the company upfront, but if they don't get it they will continue to see Churn rise, and customers going to other carriers. Which will be even more of a loss in the long run.

#8 freibrauer

freibrauer

Kewl

• 151 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

I would disagree with two things... Q4 was actually better for USCC. Q2 was terrible, Q3 was slightly better than Q2 and Q4 better than 3. Q4 was the second consecutive improvement in their customer loses. Yes total customers lost increased, but it always does for the 4th quarter because it’s a holiday season but USCC saw a substantial increase in new customers as well and thus their net losses were better than the prior quarter.

Q1 numbers come out May 4th, while adds will certainly be down (as they always are Q1) it will be interesting to see if they can continue to improve upon their net losses/adds as they have the past two quarters. They peaked in Q2 by my count with about 50,000 Customers lost then, since then it has declined two consecutive quarters.

Also Sprint sold a ton of towers in 2008, well before the iphone. They were spending money in 2011 and 2012 through their network rebuilding basically. Ever since they sold a ton of towers about 4 years ago sprint has really struggled and they are still working to fix that. But it isn't because of the iphone that they are having those tower problems, it’s because of short sighted decisions made 4+ years ago.

#9 RWC4USC

RWC4USC

Kewler Than Kewl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I respect your opinion, and won't argue with you on the issue of sprint, it sounds like you're more informed about it then I am, so I will trust you are correct. I however still believe Q4 wasn't as successful of a quarter. If you look at the price of their shares, earlier in 2012 we were gradually climbing up the charts. As soon as Q4 results were released, the following Monday what was almost a price of around $49 began to slowly decline. I do believe now it's in the $37-$38 range. The price of a share signifies many different things. But more importantly it provides money for the company to grow, improve, and expand. I'm sure US Cellular see's this in a similar light.

#10 freibrauer

freibrauer

Kewl

• 151 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

I respect your opinion, and won't argue with you on the issue of sprint, it sounds like you're more informed about it then I am, so I will trust you are correct. I however still believe Q4 wasn't as successful of a quarter. If you look at the price of their shares, earlier in 2012 we were gradually climbing up the charts. As soon as Q4 results were released, the following Monday what was almost a price of around $49 began to slowly decline. I do believe now it's in the $37-$38 range. The price of a share signifies many different things. But more importantly it provides money for the company to grow, improve, and expand. I'm sure US Cellular see's this in a similar light.

I actually purchased some shares of Sprint not too long ago (in addition to Clearwire). They’re decent buy low cost, high risk, high reward plays right now. I also own shares of USCC. I don't want to get to off topic here but just wanted to clear a few things up about what you just said.

Yes the price of USCC's stock has declined recently but that's less about the 4th Quarter vs. 3rd Quarter results than other factors. Investors change their minds on stock often less because of business results and more to do with emotions. In the long run that averages out but in the short term (quarter to quarter) it can often lead to misleading performance. Q3 was a pretty good quarter for the stock price and this was largely in part due to a better Q3 than Q2.

However in Q4 things changed a bit. Investors became less convinced in USM's (USCC’s stock ticker) long term position. Suddenly it wasn't just the high end providers of ATT and Verizon with the iPhone. Now Sprint had it. USCC had publicly declined the iPhone and a lot of investors became more conscious of the device gap. I have recently seen a lot of articles speculating on the smaller carrier’s ability to compete given the increase in device cost and the expenses accociated with a 4G build out.

USCCs financials in Q4 were not as strong as Q3 in large part because operating costs increased (likely buttociated with the 4G build out). In prior quarters USCC was able to offset these costs by upselling its current customer base to the belief plans which was leading to an increase in ARPU that was offsetting the customer losses. It would appear that by Q4 those increases were slowing as presumably the majority of people who needed or wanted belief plans were already on them and thus the customer losses were eating into revenues more than they had in prior quarters.

Revenues were still up but they didn't increase as rapidly as costs did or as rapidly as their competitors. The fact that their competitors were increasing revenues at a higher % than USM was, in addition to the fact that it was USCC's 9th? Consecutive quarter with customer losses was likely the biggest responsibility for their stock price declining.

Also it's worth noting a big impact on their stock price was likely the research investment firm Brigantine downgrading USCC's stock to a Sell. It's worth mentioning that another research investment firm named National Security's upgraded USCC's stock yesterday from Sell to a Neutral, likely on the news of their new Prepaid venture with Wal-Mart (UPrePaid) or they know something about USCC's Q1 numbers which come out later today. Just to give you an example of the importance of these types of upgraes and downgrades on investors, USCC's stock was up over $1.00 yesterday on a down day for the market as a result of that upgrade. While, similarly Sprint was down, and ATT and Verizon basically remained neutral yesterday.

*The above is all my own personal opinion, reasoning, and speculation, I could be wrong about why investors started lowering their value of USCC in response to its Q4 numbers*

Also my last point is. USCC makes no money off of their stock.

The stock is publicly traded so if I buy a share I own a part of the company. However USCC makes $0 when I purchase a share. The only time a company makes money off of stocks is when they issue more stock. Companies will issue shares usually when they are in a pinch for cash or when they want to expand and need to raise capital to do so. Selling stock offers a benefit over taking debt in that it doesn't need to be paid back. USCC wants its stock price to be high not so much because they benefit directly from the share price (because they don't) but because a higher stock price means the owners of USCC's net worth goes up and it also reflects the value of the company.

Obviously the more valuable your company the better shape you are in, if you need to issue stock in the future, want to sell the company, or just if you want to placate your owners and make them happy and willing to invest more money in the company. Best case of a high stock price for USCC is that it will increase the net worth of the Carlson’s (family that owns USCC’s parent company) and lead to the Carlson’s wiliness to invest more in USCC.

Edited by freibrauer, 04 May 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#11 RWC4USC

RWC4USC

Kewler Than Kewl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

... Touche

#12 RWC4USC

RWC4USC

Kewler Than Kewl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Some what disappointed with the results of churn for Q1, everything else was good though

Sent from my Motorola Razr V3M

#13 phonegeek20

phonegeek20

Hanging Around

• 10 posts
  • Device:htc

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

I don't think usc will ever get the iPhone but

who knows they might

#14 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 14,582 posts
  • Device:S5

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Well, at some point I see it happening. I would optimistically say late 2012 at very best (iPhone 4) and mid 2013 at the latest. The iPhone 5 will be 2014 if its launched in 2012 globally.

That's if they ever do, but I still say its a very high risk/high reward device. If its a hit, great. If not, you just bet the farm.

Don't misunderstand me, I am all for ANY new devices, not just androids. I think the iPhone would be pretty big on uscc, and it actually makes me wonder if uscc didn't launch it because of their push for android? For sure a large number of Droid users would migrate to it along with countless others. Could it be that, financially, uscc couldn't sustain both?

Sent from my CM9 cross-dressed MB855

Edited by iRub1Out, 06 May 2012 - 09:38 AM.

(Devices I've owned)

S5 - S4 - S3 - EM - E2 - E1 - Moto X - Nexus 4 - iPhone 5S

The importance of commas:
Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#15 smpark3

smpark3

Kewl

• 124 posts
  • Device:a phone

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

3 more very small carriers will be selling the iphone 4s.

Bluegrass Cellular
Golden State Cellular
Nex-Tech Wireless

I can't see USCC holding out much longer. Well, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Edited by smpark3, 08 May 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#16 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,069 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S3

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

This is a post I made in Feb about the iPhone, same logic applies

For those wondering why uscc isn't super motivated to acquire the iPhone, read the following article-

http://online.wsj.co... ... 340d4.html

For those to lazy to read, essentially even though sprint sold 1.8 million iphones and saw a significant increase in new line activations, they still posted enormous financial losses due to the cost and agreements with apple. Sprint is quoted as saying share holders will have to wait until at least at least 2017 for stock prices/value to normalize. ouch

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

Swyped while swerving from my Motorola Electrify

#17 smpark3

smpark3

Kewl

• 124 posts
  • Device:a phone

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Though the iphone hurts the bottom line, so does losing customers. The former hurts more than the latter, but competition can be fierce and can drive a company out of an industry or eaten up by a bigger fish. Something has to give.

Can android and Window phones save the day? No idea. Apples little ecosystem is nice and easy to use and they are 2 years ahead of everyone else.

I'd hate to see what happens if USCC is the last of the carriers holding out. Smaller carriers carrying the Iphone where USCC has a presence may hurt, since it seems USCC focuses on those smaller towns for customers.

At any rate, it should be an interesting topic to keep following. Will it be a David vs. Goliath story? Will Apple break every carrier at the negotiating table? Will USCC finally give In?

If the iphone comes to USCC, i think we can expect prices for plans and data to eventually go up to cover the subsidized cost. We may be seeing that already with how the new belief plans are structured. Cost passed on to the customer.

Speculation is down the road, Apple will just form it's own cellular service and take on the industry.

• rrockstar.kidd likes this

#18 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,069 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S3

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Speculation is down the road, Apple will just form it's own cellular service and take on the industry.

AKA Skynet
Swyped while swerving from my Motorola Electrify

#19 ForzaManny

ForzaManny

Becoming Kewl

• 99 posts
  • Device:HTC Pro 7
  • Google Talk:forzamanny@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:117661563763513105836

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Its not just a matter of saying one day " hey lets have our own network"

You have to have spectrum, and all usable spectrum is already in carrier hands.
The only way Apple gets spectrum is if other carriers allow them to buy it wholesale, or the Government auctions off some more.

Now realistically, no one - not even apple can hope to be able to afford all that even with their 40B in cash reserves. not to mention carriers will make sure Apple takes the hardest route to get spectrum.

Apple makes thier money by selling a $600 iphone to carriers, carriers in turn subsidize the handset - I think based on latest cost for devices Apple is making near $400 profit off each iphone sale. If apple offered the phone directly, they would not be getting that $400 profit, i dont see anyone paying $600 for an iPhone when they have become accustomed to paying $200 ( although technically Apple could offer an iphone for free on contact and only be eating up $200 as apposed to carriers eating up $400!)

in 2005 - T-Mobile spent almost 5 Billion to aquire AWS Spectrum from the goverment... 5 Billion just to be able to have air waves. now throw in costs of actually building out the towers and logistics and everything that goes into testing a network....the end cost was closer to 20Billion.... i just dont see how Apple could pull off a move like that... regardless of their loyal customer base.

$40 Billion will NOT be enough.

If apple was to announce something like this... i could see all carriers immediately stop selling iPhones and would cut off revenue to apple immediately!

At least thats how i see it....

#20 kenstedm

kenstedm

Amazing Person

• 440 posts
  • Device:HTC Desire

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Its not just a matter of saying one day " hey lets have our own network"

You have to have spectrum, and all usable spectrum is already in carrier hands.
The only way Apple gets spectrum is if other carriers allow them to buy it wholesale, or the Government auctions off some more.

Now realistically, no one - not even apple can hope to be able to afford all that even with their 40B in cash reserves. not to mention carriers will make sure Apple takes the hardest route to get spectrum.

Apple makes thier money by selling a $600 iphone to carriers, carriers in turn subsidize the handset - I think based on latest cost for devices Apple is making near $400 profit off each iphone sale. If apple offered the phone directly, they would not be getting that $400 profit, i dont see anyone paying $600 for an iPhone when they have become accustomed to paying $200 ( although technically Apple could offer an iphone for free on contact and only be eating up $200 as apposed to carriers eating up $400!)

in 2005 - T-Mobile spent almost 5 Billion to aquire AWS Spectrum from the goverment... 5 Billion just to be able to have air waves. now throw in costs of actually building out the towers and logistics and everything that goes into testing a network....the end cost was closer to 20Billion.... i just dont see how Apple could pull off a move like that... regardless of their loyal customer base.

$40 Billion will NOT be enough.

If apple was to announce something like this... i could see all carriers immediately stop selling iPhones and would cut off revenue to apple immediately!

At least thats how i see it....

Apple does not make $400 profit per unit, you're not even factoring in R&D or software development costs. All those people working on iOS factor into the cost. The hardware cost itself may be south of $200, but that's not the whole story.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iphone, 4G LTE

1 2