22 posts in this topic

Thanks to the instructions for rooting an Aviator found here on this site, I was able to root my Aviator and in the process learn a great deal about ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) and DDMS (Dalvik Debug Monitor) via a bunch of Google queries while trying to decipher the instructions. Ultimately, I wanted to get rid of the bloatware on my device, and also the annoying blocker of the "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot" app that also blocks other WiFi apps from working with a message that states "Tethering and Portable WiFi Hotspot service requires a subscription plan. Call 611 to subscribe."

Using DDMS, I was able to trace the WiFi hotspot blocker to /system/app/TPM-Prod-Client.apk (com.synchronoss.sm), and I used ADB to remove it. I had to reboot my phone in order to stop a message about the process failing from appearing every 2-3 seconds (the WiFi hotspot blocker was running this frequently), and then I was able to turn on my WiFi hotspot without it being disabled immediately thereafter!

I just wanted to share the wealth in return for the favor :'(

EDIT: Removing the WiFi hotspot blocker via Titanium Backup can also be done. Just uninstall "Synchronoss TEDC 1.0.0.67"

Edited by usc_customer_1983
oditius, 123sit, thatoneguy and 2 others like this

very helpful! Thanks for sharing!

Swyped while swerving from my Motorola Electrify

I used titanium backup to "freeze" this app. is this going to be sufficient to stop the tether block? or does it need to be un-installed somehow? if so, what app can i use to un-install this Synchronoss?

I used titanium backup to "freeze" this app. is this going to be sufficient to stop the tether block? or does it need to be un-installed somehow? if so, what app can i use to un-install this Synchronoss?

Use titanium to UN-install it....

getting tired of updating my apps on my gs3

FYI - I've upgraded to FG04 and rooted my phone again, but this time it appears that removing this package is causing the phone to not display anything. A logcat seems to indicate that it doesn't believe that it is finished booting. I know that removing all the Amazon software shouldn't have caused any issues and this is the only other package that I tried to remove.

Has anyone else tried this?

FYI - I've upgraded to FG04 and rooted my phone again, but this time it appears that removing this package is causing the phone to not display anything. A logcat seems to indicate that it doesn't believe that it is finished booting. I know that removing all the Amazon software shouldn't have caused any issues and this is the only other package that I tried to remove.

Has anyone else tried this?

Its there found it and removed it on mine after update.

So I went into TB and I can not find this file...would it be under anything else? I am on the Note 2 running the Jellybomb rom... thanks in advance

I doubt jelly bomb still has the blocker, but I'd ask in that support thread.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Hey Guys...noob here.  So I'm rooted and I just removed the wifi hotspot blocker via TB.  So now that this is removed, will I be able to use my phone as a hotspot without paying the $25/month or would I need another program/app.  Thanks!!

Hey Guys...noob here.  So I'm rooted and I just removed the wifi hotspot blocker via TB.  So now that this is removed, will I be able to use my phone as a hotspot without paying the $25/month or would I need another program/app.  Thanks!!
you should beable to use the stock one with no problems

Awesome thanks for the reply. I've tried it out and it seems to be working. I want to get rid of my home Internet to save a little money and avoid paying the $25 for the tethering, think I'm good

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Just checking does this still work with the up date if any

One can let me know that would rock

thanks

My step mom is saying that our bill has gone up and ive been using wifi hotspot with that removed do you think they are able to figure it out or is it something else

Maybe you blew your bandwidth cap and they looked into your traffic? It's trivial for them to see if you tether by looking into traffic headers, you have to give them a reason to look

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dBuster likes this

Maybe you blew your bandwidth cap and they looked into your traffic? It's trivial for them to see if you tether by looking into traffic headers, you have to give them a reason to look

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Concur

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Ever thought of cell phone jammers wifi blocker? This is a handheld device
that disables signals from another phone and causes the other phone to
stop working. I saw some on websites for sale but cost too much. Anybody
know how to find one at a real cheap price? And I am a Verizon
customer.