HELP US Cellular Samsung Galaxy SIII uses Verizon network - Page 2 - Galaxy S III ROMs Q&A/Discussions - TeamUSCellular

Photo

HELP US Cellular Samsung Galaxy SIII uses Verizon network

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,069 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S3

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Sounds like during activation it latched on to another carriers tower and now it's locked into it. The same thing happens if you dial*228 outside a us cellular area. In fact, we had a tower outage in my area and for a day we had to manually program phones because if we did*228 it locked the phone to Sprint. Call dts, it's a rare but non unheard of issue. I'm sure they'll be able to remedy it.

Swyped while swerving from my Samsung GS3

#22 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

I have The following Verizon related data in the build.prop:

#Verizon Wireless default ecclist
ro.ril.ecclist=112,911,#922,*911

#SSO Intent
ro.sso.intent=com.motricity.verizon.ssoengine.Establish_Token

#System property for VVM and BUA as required by Vzw
ro.HorizontalVVM=true
ro.HorizontalBUA=true

Is that all supposed to be there?

#23 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

The last thing you want to do is lie about what happened. if it's obviously rooted and they see that, but you tell them you didn't do it they are far less likely to work with you. In all likelihood they will just reflash it and you'll be about your way you can reroot it if you wish, but there's no way to ever know exactly what happened.

I didn't lie about it. They knew from the start that it was rooted, but they say they can't reflash the phone because they either don't have the software or refuse to do so because I rooted the device.
EDIT: USCC Corporate says they have no software at all for the SIII and that I should send it to Samsung. So that's what I'm going to do.

Edited by evantobin, 25 July 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#24 VIthe3rd

VIthe3rd

Amazing Person

• 405 posts
  • Device:SGS3

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Use insurance if all options become a dead end....

I used to flash the Motorola V3's and I had gone through about a dozen of them in a 2 year span.... Insurance was my friend while I was trashing phones.

#25 jwendt79

jwendt79

Amazing Person

• 529 posts
  • Device:SGSIII
  • Google Talk:jwendt79

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

The last thing you want to do is lie about what happened. if it's obviously rooted and they see that, but you tell them you didn't do it they are far less likely to work with you. In all likelihood they will just reflash it and you'll be about your way you can reroot it if you wish, but there's no way to ever know exactly what happened.

I didn't lie about it. They knew from the start that it was rooted, but they say they can't reflash the phone because they either don't have the software or refuse to do so because I rooted the device.
EDIT: USCC Corporate says they have no software at all for the SIII and that I should send it to Samsung. So that's what I'm going to do.

I had to take my sgs3 in for data problems and they refreshed it for me at the store here (Goldsboro, NC) so some stores gotta have it. also my flash counter was at 4 and I'm pretty sure the guy saw it while he was in download mode cause I saw him starring at the phone...but he didn't say anything. Plus the re-flash didn't fix the problems and they swapped the phone for a new one the same day, actually upgraded me to the 32gb model cause they were out of the 16.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

#26 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

I had to take my sgs3 in for data problems and they refreshed it for me at the store here (Goldsboro, NC) so some stores gotta have it. also my flash counter was at 4 and I'm pretty sure the guy saw it while he was in download mode cause I saw him starring at the phone...but he didn't say anything. Plus the re-flash didn't fix the problems and they swapped the phone for a new one the same day, actually upgraded me to the 32gb model cause they were out of the 16.

Well you're lucky you don't have a store that says "Since the device is rooted we can't do anything. We recommend you look online and fix it yourself" :/

#27 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 16,220 posts
  • Device:G3
  • Google Plus:https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JonVD/posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

They were just being rude about it. Goto a different store there's no reason for them to be so abrasive about helping you.

(Devices I've owned)

G3 - S5 - S4 - S3 - N2 - EM - E2 - E1 - Moto X - Nexus 4 - iP5S - iP6

The importance of commas:
Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#28 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

They were just being rude about it. Goto a different store there's no reason for them to be so abrasive about helping you.

I'll try that tomorrow.

The value for ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric seems to be getting overridden with the string 311480 which is Verizon even though in build.prop it is set to 311220. This makes the phone think that 311480 (Verizon) is Verizon. Now, just to find where it's set to 311480
EDIT: The phone seems to be ignoring the property.
EDIT: After doing a full factory reset (Dial *2767*3855#) My Phone now is connecting to "CELLULAR ONE SO WISCONSIN & NO ILLINOIS" this makes me think that flashing this phone is as easy as changing a string in a config file or it's just hopping networks...

Edited by evantobin, 25 July 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#29 Geordanbrown

Geordanbrown

Hanging Around

• 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

I know this happens with me if I'm roaming on a Verizon network and try to do a *228.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Current Device: Galaxy S4, previous owner of the Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S, HTC Merge, HTC Desire, BlackBerry 8830, BlackBerry 8330.

Been with U.S. Cellular for 12 years

#30 ben62884

ben62884

Kewl

• 195 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

Is it possible you used the wrong root method and it screwed up your phone? There are quite a few root methods that can do that. You need to use the correct method. How did u root it?

#31 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 16,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Is it possible you used the wrong root method and it screwed up your phone? There are quite a few root methods that can do that. You need to use the correct method. How did u root it?

JUST the root method wouldn't change the device in this fashion. It can't manipulate the internal properties, unless there is more to what happened. Such as an attempted ROM or something like that.
Like I said earlier, if all you did was gain root access (I believe you used the sprint method?) Then you should be able to do a "tower switch"

Here. Call USC on a different line, ask them to do a tower switch on the phone (requires you to pull the battery). This will reconnect the phone to the proper tower. If then you still have issues then its time to replace it.

There is no cost or risk in doing this at all. I've done it before, its simple.

(Devices I've owned)

Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#32 tritium man

tritium man

Becoming Kewl

• 66 posts
  • Device:Iphone 4S

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Maybe Verizon and USCC are merging?

#33 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

I've already sent the phone out to Samsung where they are going to completely restore the device. I don't think doing a tower switch would work anyways because the device wasn't even connecting to US Cellular it was changing the home provider's numeric ID to the first one it could find and just saying that provider was US Cellular. That's why roaming wasn't being triggered, because it thought whatever network it was on was US Cellular when it obviously was not.

#34 v_lestat

v_lestat

Kewler Than Kewl

• 258 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sounds like during activation it latched on to another carriers tower and now it's locked into it. The same thing happens if you dial*228 outside a us cellular area. In fact, we had a tower outage in my area and for a day we had to manually program phones because if we did*228 it locked the phone to Sprint. Call dts, it's a rare but non unheard of issue. I'm sure they'll be able to remedy it.

Swyped while swerving from my Samsung GS3

100% agree.....

if you do *228 when your roaming you will completely screw the phone as when you go back home it will always try to reconnect to verizon.
if you did that and didnt realize you were roaming then you are screwed.

plus, uscc phone support should, it think, be able to hit your phone or reactivate it.
meaning ask them to wipe the phone from their system, and then readd it.

i would also call the 1-800 number you got on the orange papaer that came with the phone and see if they can do any activation magic since they are the ones who did the activation to begin with.

be sure, and i mean 100% SURE you are in a USCC area and go into clockwork mod, do a complete wipe of data, cache and dalvik, and do a wipe data and factory reset from within clockwork.
see what happens.
you may also try after that doing a factory reset from within the phone software though it essentially is the same thing as wipe data factory reset via clockwork.

you can also, if someone doesnt mind doing it, get backup of someone stock system from clockwork and reflash it.
that will kill any residual stuff thats hanging around.

last thing, try real hard to find a number for USCC corporate, not support, but someone within Corporate, or call the store and ask who the USCC regional rep is.
explain to them, no matter how stubborn they will be that rooting does absolutely nothing with regards to activation or radio modifications, all it does is change the file permissions so we cna access things.
if you can get someone within corporate explain to them that no one is willing to help and that all you want i s the phone flashed back to stock or a replacement phone so that it works on USCC. you are not asking for miracles, or upgrades or anything.
tell them you realize that rooting was an error and you take full responsibility for doing so but reflashing back to stock should take care of it.
and this will prove to everyone that, if after flashing to stock, it still connects to Verizon, that it was the phone all along.

be firm yet polite, honest and not too demanding and i think you can get this resolved.

Edited by v_lestat, 26 July 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#35 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 16,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Well, let us know what the result is. I'm sorry to see it go THAT far, I'm sure there was a better solution than sending it to Samsung.

(Devices I've owned)

Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#36 sageDieu

sageDieu

Almost The Best

• 954 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S4
  • Google Talk:sageDieu@encounterpc.com

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Maybe Verizon and USCC are merging?

lol

calm-1.png

Samsung Galaxy S4

#37 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Well, let us know what the result is. I'm sorry to see it go THAT far, I'm sure there was a better solution than sending it to Samsung.

Just saw the ODIN files were posted for the phone making me think that probably would have fixed it... Samsung should restore my flash counter as well though. I'll update this when they tell me anything.

Edited by evantobin, 26 July 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#38 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 16,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Good deal. I am curious as to their analysis.

...vzw and USC, together? Please... we all know USC would NEVER let their customer service go to s*** that easy!

Lol. Made my day.

(Devices I've owned)

Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#39 evantobin

evantobin

Hanging Around

• 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

...vzw and USC, together? Please... we all know USC would NEVER let their customer service go to s*** that easy!

Lol. Made my day.

Verizon's network team offered to block the phone from their network and even help me flash it back. While USCC tells me to go call Samsung. I swear the memos on my account say DON'T HELP THIS PERSON HE IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN or something knowing the store by my house.

#40 ben62884

ben62884

Kewl

• 195 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

did you ever get this situation worked out?

1 2