How to Install CWM (or TWRP8) Without Tripping The Flash Counter - Galaxy S III Guides/Tutorials - TeamUSCellular

Photo

How to Install CWM (or TWRP8) Without Tripping The Flash Counter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 dtmetz

dtmetz

Hanging Around

• 21 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Warning: This worked for me without tripping my flash counter. Your results may vary.

In case anyone didn't know you can manually install a custom recovery with out flashing with Odin.

First, root using this method to if you haven't already - http://teamuscellula...-flash-counter/.

This comes from this post for the Verizon SG3 - http://rootzwiki.com...n-galaxy-s-iii/.
DO NOT FOLLOW THE STEPS FOR ROOTING. You can follow the steps for installing the customer recovery.

The steps are as follows.

1) Download a custom recovery.
CWM recovery.img: http://goo.im/devs/i...35/recovery.img
OR
TWRP image (courtesy of birdman): http://goo.im/devs/birdman/twrp8.img

Move the recovery to your SD Card and connect with ADB (or from a terminal app).

Then install the recovery you downloaded. (Switch recovery.img with trwp8.img if you grabbed that instead)
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
20480+0 records in
20480+0 records out
10485760 bytes transferred in 2.408 secs (4354551 bytes/sec)
shell@android:/sdcard # reboot recovery

The stock recovery can be found in the Stock Odin files if you needed.

Edited by dtmetz, 27 July 2012 - 08:04 PM.

• codeman6100 likes this

#2 bru_1 (W4NJE)

bru_1 (W4NJE)

Rectal Technician

• 960 posts
  • Phone #:5409471155
  • Device:SCH-R530U
  • Google Talk:southernstyle250@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:southernstyle250@gmail.com

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

thanks for this! also - never used TWRP before, it is awesome!
Hey Derp!

If I've helped you, why don't you click that 'Like This' button? Thanks!

Sent from my LG UX840 via EasyEdge

#3 bru_1 (W4NJE)

bru_1 (W4NJE)

Rectal Technician

• 960 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

just a warning, TWRP apparently can brick our phones (it bricked mine, formatting /system seems to format more than JUST system)...
Hey Derp!

#4 Voide

Voide

Becoming Kewl

• 92 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S III

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

just a warning, TWRP apparently can brick our phones (it bricked mine, formatting /system seems to format more than JUST system)...

Did you brick it while flashing TWRP or afterwards while inside of TWRP? Only reason I asked is because your first comment made it sound like you flashed it and showed your approval...I'll be shocked if a recovery allows you to brick a device.

#5 dtmetz

dtmetz

Hanging Around

• 21 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like he installed TWRP okay, but formatted /System and had problems. But if you don't flash something over int /System then I would expect your phone not to boot up. /System isn't like clearing the cache that will rebuild it self.

#6 v_lestat

v_lestat

Kewler Than Kewl

• 258 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

sounds silly but with our phone it needs to be asked.
do i move the recovery to sdcard (internal) or ext_SDcard (the physical sdcard)?

since we are all so used to calling our physical sdcard the "sdcard" but with our phone sdcard is actually theinternal storage... i needed to ask.

Edited by v_lestat, 05 August 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#7 bru_1 (W4NJE)

bru_1 (W4NJE)

Rectal Technician

• 960 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Did you brick it while flashing TWRP or afterwards while inside of TWRP? Only reason I asked is because your first comment made it sound like you flashed it and showed your approval...I'll be shocked if a recovery allows you to brick a device.

Sounds like he installed TWRP okay, but formatted /System and had problems. But if you don't flash something over int /System then I would expect your phone not to boot up. /System isn't like clearing the cache that will rebuild it self.

Sorry guys, yes i flashed the recovery and checked it, out, it was so pretty. but then i was going to try flashing an AOSP rom, and when I did format /system it formatted the whole phone. I understand the phone won't boot without anything on the system partition, but you should still have the bootloader, recovery, etc. formatting /system removed everyrthing. Maybe I was unlucky, and it was just a fluke. But I'm not willing to try again. lol.
Hey Derp!

#8 ben62884

ben62884

Kewl

• 195 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Sorry guys, yes i flashed the recovery and checked it, out, it was so pretty. but then i was going to try flashing an AOSP rom, and when I did format /system it formatted the whole phone. I understand the phone won't boot without anything on the system partition, but you should still have the bootloader, recovery, etc. formatting /system removed everyrthing. Maybe I was unlucky, and it was just a fluke. But I'm not willing to try again. lol.

Were you able to recover your phone or was it a complete brick and had to be replaced?

Another question: Can we install this OVER CWM? Or does CWM need to be removed first before I can install TWRP?

#9 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,288 posts
  • Device:Moto X
  • Google Plus:https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RyanMarkwald

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Were you able to recover your phone or was it a complete brick and had to be replaced?

Another question: Can we install this OVER CWM? Or does CWM need to be removed first before I can install TWRP?

I don't wipe /system.

You can flash this to your phone, it'll replace CWM.

- Sent from my US Cellular SGS3

- Follow me on Twitter: @ryanmarkwald

#10 ben62884

ben62884

Kewl

• 195 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

I don't wipe /system.

You can flash this to your phone, it'll replace CWM.

- Sent from my US Cellular SGS3

Thanks for the reply. Do I have to use this method or is there another way I can flash TWRP to my phone? Possibly an odin file?

#11 jr19

jr19

Hanging Around

• 32 posts
  • Device:S3

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Do we use this link for recovery now instead? http://goo.im/devs/i...0.1.0-kexec.img

I don't really want to brick my phone, but I'd like CWM installed. The http://goo.im/devs/i...35/recovery.img link no longer works.

#12 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,069 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S3

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Here's the link to the newest twrp (2.2)

http://techerrata.co...2.2.0-d2vzw.img

Swyped while swerving from my Samsung GS3

#13 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Locking this thread as a guide

Edited by thatoneguy, 20 August 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#14 snodrog742

snodrog742

Seriously 2.0...

• 5,812 posts
  • Phone #:2706812326
  • Device:iPhone 5s
  • Google Talk:teamuscc2011@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:106781649499633521245

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Locking this thread as a guide, post questions/issues here

http://www.teamuscel...ry-on-thier-S3?

But, but... what if they don't want TWRP? This thread had CWM too.... me confuseded

meblend3.jpg

#15 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Locking this thread as a guide, post questions/issues here

http://www.teamuscel...ry-on-thier-S3?

But, but... what if they don't want TWRP? This thread had CWM too.... me confuseded

I got this :)

Post here with questions, issues, etc

http://www.teamuscel...cussion-thread.

• snodrog742 likes this

1 2