dtmetz

How to Install CWM (or TWRP8) Without Tripping The Flash Counter

15 posts in this topic

Warning: This worked for me without tripping my flash counter. Your results may vary.

In case anyone didn't know you can manually install a custom recovery with out flashing with Odin.

First, root using this method to if you haven't already - http://teamuscellula...-flash-counter/.

This comes from this post for the Verizon SG3 - http://rootzwiki.com...n-galaxy-s-iii/.

DO NOT FOLLOW THE STEPS FOR ROOTING. You can follow the steps for installing the customer recovery.

The steps are as follows.

1) Download a custom recovery.

CWM recovery.img: http://goo.im/devs/i...35/recovery.img

OR

TWRP image (courtesy of birdman): http://goo.im/devs/birdman/twrp8.img

Move the recovery to your SD Card and connect with ADB (or from a terminal app).

Then install the recovery you downloaded. (Switch recovery.img with trwp8.img if you grabbed that instead)

shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
20480+0 records in
20480+0 records out
10485760 bytes transferred in 2.408 secs (4354551 bytes/sec)
shell@android:/sdcard # reboot recovery

The stock recovery can be found in the Stock Odin files if you needed.

Edited by dtmetz
codeman6100 likes this

thanks for this! also - never used TWRP before, it is awesome!

just a warning, TWRP apparently can brick our phones (it bricked mine, formatting /system seems to format more than JUST system)...

just a warning, TWRP apparently can brick our phones (it bricked mine, formatting /system seems to format more than JUST system)...

Did you brick it while flashing TWRP or afterwards while inside of TWRP? Only reason I asked is because your first comment made it sound like you flashed it and showed your approval...I'll be shocked if a recovery allows you to brick a device.

Sounds like he installed TWRP okay, but formatted /System and had problems. But if you don't flash something over int /System then I would expect your phone not to boot up. /System isn't like clearing the cache that will rebuild it self.

sounds silly but with our phone it needs to be asked.

do i move the recovery to sdcard (internal) or ext_SDcard (the physical sdcard)?

since we are all so used to calling our physical sdcard the "sdcard" but with our phone sdcard is actually theinternal storage... i needed to ask.

Edited by v_lestat

Did you brick it while flashing TWRP or afterwards while inside of TWRP? Only reason I asked is because your first comment made it sound like you flashed it and showed your approval...I'll be shocked if a recovery allows you to brick a device.

Sounds like he installed TWRP okay, but formatted /System and had problems. But if you don't flash something over int /System then I would expect your phone not to boot up. /System isn't like clearing the cache that will rebuild it self.

Sorry guys, yes i flashed the recovery and checked it, out, it was so pretty. but then i was going to try flashing an AOSP rom, and when I did format /system it formatted the whole phone. I understand the phone won't boot without anything on the system partition, but you should still have the bootloader, recovery, etc. formatting /system removed everyrthing. Maybe I was unlucky, and it was just a fluke. But I'm not willing to try again. lol.

Sorry guys, yes i flashed the recovery and checked it, out, it was so pretty. but then i was going to try flashing an AOSP rom, and when I did format /system it formatted the whole phone. I understand the phone won't boot without anything on the system partition, but you should still have the bootloader, recovery, etc. formatting /system removed everyrthing. Maybe I was unlucky, and it was just a fluke. But I'm not willing to try again. lol.

Were you able to recover your phone or was it a complete brick and had to be replaced?

Another question: Can we install this OVER CWM? Or does CWM need to be removed first before I can install TWRP?

Were you able to recover your phone or was it a complete brick and had to be replaced?

Another question: Can we install this OVER CWM? Or does CWM need to be removed first before I can install TWRP?

I don't wipe /system.

You can flash this to your phone, it'll replace CWM.

- Sent from my US Cellular SGS3

I don't wipe /system.

You can flash this to your phone, it'll replace CWM.

- Sent from my US Cellular SGS3

Thanks for the reply. Do I have to use this method or is there another way I can flash TWRP to my phone? Possibly an odin file?

Locking this thread as a guide

Swyped while swerving from my Samsung GS3

Edited by thatoneguy

Locking this thread as a guide, post questions/issues here

But, but... what if they don't want TWRP? This thread had CWM too.... me confuseded

Locking this thread as a guide, post questions/issues here

But, but... what if they don't want TWRP? This thread had CWM too.... me confuseded

I got this :)

Post here with questions, issues, etc

snodrog742 likes this