[HOW-TO] Setup/Use apktool - Page 2 - Galaxy S III Guides/Tutorials - TeamUSCellular

Photo

[HOW-TO] Setup/Use apktool

apktool setup how to compile decompile

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,298 posts
  • Device:Moto X
  • Google Plus:https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RyanMarkwald

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I found it.  It was in the Mms folder that was decompiled.  Thanks for the reply.  

EDIT:  LOL. Apparently I need to learn how to use the forum Editor.  

Ah yes, I forgot to add that.  That's where it would go, glad you found it!

- Follow me on Twitter: @ryanmarkwald

#22 grad

grad

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,002 posts
  • Device:Moto X 2014
  • Google Talk:penickj

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm attempting to compile the newest Mms.apk from cm10.1 for the s3 & I'm getting this error.

jerad-penicks-imac:apktool 1.5 penickj$ ./apktool b Mms
I: Checking whether sources has changed...
I: Smaling...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
aapt: warning: string 'pref_summary_input_type' has no default translation in /Users/penickj/apktool 1.5/Mms/res; found: cs da el es fi fr hr hu it iw nl pt ru zh_CN
aapt: warning: string 'pref_summary_sms_split_counter' has no default translation in /Users/penickj/apktool 1.5/Mms/res; found: cs da el es fr hr hu it iw ja nl pl pt ro ru zh_CN
aapt: warning: string 'pref_title_mms_notification_vibrate_settings' has no default translation in /Users/penickj/apktool 1.5/Mms/res; found: cs da el es fi fr hr hu it iw ja nl pl pt ro ru zh_CN
aapt: warning: string 'pref_title_sms_split_counter' has no default translation in /Users/penickj/apktool 1.5/Mms/res; found: cs da el es fr hr hu it iw ja nl pl pt ro ru zh_CN
I: Building apk file...
jerad-penicks-imac:apktool 1.5 penickj$

I have done this successfully just a few cm10.1 builds ago (2-4-13).  I'm using the most current apktool also (1.5.2).  Any ideas on how to get compiling without errors?

Edited by grad, 07 February 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Samsung Galaxy S3, CM11 latest nightly, Lean kernel 9.3

Moto X, Locked Bootloader, Rooted and Write Protection Off, Stock Rom 4.4, Xposed Framework

Moto X 2014, Unlocked Bootloader, Twrp 2.8.0.1, Stock Rom - Kit Kat 4.4.4, Xposed Framework 

#23 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,298 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

You have the fully built apk in the dist folder right? They did change a few things in MMS so maybe that's where is coming from...? Maybe once the translations are eventually added, the errors will go away. I wouldn't worry about them if the apk is building. You could make sure you have the latest aapt file from Android's development site if you haven't already. -Sent from my US Cellular SGS3

Edited by RMarkwald, 07 February 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#24 grad

grad

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks. I thought I downloaded the most current aapt from here: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list I'll check the Android development site.

Yes the Mms.apk file is there.  I tried pushing the file to the phone in /system/app but the Messaging app does not show up in the app drawer after all a reboot and making sure the permissions are correct.  I also tried to place the Mms.apk in the zip file you posted to flash (I've used that zip file many times before), but this last time it aborts the install. That was all at work I did that.  I will try it from home right now.   

Moto X, Locked Bootloader, Rooted and Write Protection Off, Stock Rom 4.4, Xposed Framework

Moto X 2014, Unlocked Bootloader, Twrp 2.8.0.1, Stock Rom - Kit Kat 4.4.4, Xposed Framework 

#25 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,298 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks. I thought I downloaded the most current aapt from here: http://code.google.c.../downloads/list I'll check the Android development site.

Yes the Mms.apk file is there.  I tried pushing the file to the phone in /system/app but the Messaging app does not show up in the app drawer after all a reboot and making sure the permissions are correct.  I also tried to place the Mms.apk in the zip file you posted to flash (I've used that zip file many times before), but this last time it aborts the install. That was all at work I did that.  I will try it from home right now.   

It won't install like a normal apk file will, you'll have to manually put it into /system/app.  The issue with it not showing up is simple:

Take the newly built one and open it in a zip archiver, the default Ubuntu/Linux one is fine.  Delete the Android_Manifest.xml from it.  Open the original Mms.apk you decompiled, and open that apk with the zip archiver.  Extract the Android_Manifest.xml and META-INF folder, and add it to your newly build Mms.apk.  Put the new Mms.apk into /system/app, and reboot your phone.  It should now appear.

#26 grad

grad

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I didn't install it like a normal apk.  I used root explorer to mount system, copied from my sd card and pasted it into the system/app folder, that rebooted the phone, then after it fully booted I went back and checked the permissions, changed the system back to read only and rebooted again. 

I will try what you suggested, though.  Thank you. 

#27 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,298 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I didn't install it like a normal apk.  I used root explorer to mount system, copied from my sd card and pasted it into the system/app folder, that rebooted the phone, then after it fully booted I went back and checked the permissions, changed the system back to read only and rebooted again. 

I will try what you suggested, though.  Thank you. 

Gotcha, my bad. Replacing the two files should do the trick.

-Sent from my US Cellular SGS3

• grad likes this

#28 grad

grad

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

@RMarkwald. Did as you prescribed and all is working well. The errors were still present as i posted above in compiling the Mms.apk in apktool after I updated my sdk.  After compiling the Mms.apk I switched out the Android_Manifest.xml and added the META-INF from the old Mms.apk to the new and pushed it to system/app, changed permissions and rebooted. I am good to go now. Thanks again for your help.

#29 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,298 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Excellent!

Don't worry about the warnings.  If there truly is a problem, it'll stop building and not output an apk file, and it'll tell you what happened.

#30 C-Money

C-Money

Kewler Than Kewl

• 392 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S III

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

just set this up and way over my head let the learning begin. lol

#31 C-Money

C-Money

Kewler Than Kewl

• 392 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S III

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Pretty cool stuff here, thanks for the basic walk through

#32 RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,298 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Pretty cool stuff here, thanks for the basic walk through

WORD!

Have fun with this, it can get pretty crazy/hairy/annoying/fun/frustrating...all at once!

• RMarkwald and C-Money like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apktool, setup, how to, compile, decompile

1 2