Jab73180

First impressions

So after trying the Axiom and now the M, I am convinced that US Cellular's 4G just plain sucks. I am getting faster speeds in 3G at my house then 4G!

Lol. Honestly, it seems if you live outside of the Milwaukee Area, it seems that 4G is limited. Not asking where your area is, but I'm just saying.

So after trying the Axiom and now the M, I am convinced that US Cellular's 4G just plain sucks.  I am getting faster speeds in 3G at my house then 4G!

That sucks that neither phone works good.  I guess it proves it's not the phones, but USCC's coverage.

So after trying the Axiom and now the M, I am convinced that US Cellular's 4G just plain sucks. I am getting faster speeds in 3G at my house then 4G!

Lol. Honestly, it seems if you live outside of the Milwaukee Area, it seems that 4G is limited. Not asking where your area is, but I'm just saying.

I'm familiar with the area and there are at least 3, if not 4 (all LTE) towers within a 2 mile radius.  I'm not sure if all LTE is this weak, or just USCC's.

I'm surprised but I think I had better 4G signal with the Axiom. It seems my Moto loves to fall into 3G a lot. The 4G signal in general must suck so bad that the Moto's 3G over rides it.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The Axiom worked better for me but the wife is liking the Moto. We did the BOGO, so I told her that she can keep her's, but it sucks we both can't be satisfied since one of them was free.

Guess it just depends on the location.  At my home I get great 4G even when the bars are low.  When I'm at work, I used to get no bars, and barely any 3G.  Now I get better bars, and 4G

I actually get better 4G over by Spring Green, Richand Center and Muscoda than I do at the office I work at on the West Side of Madison.

Not sure about Boaz and Gotham I have not done and G4 test in them areas as I usally dont stop going threw them. I do not make it threw boaz much but I can stop one day on my way to or from work and do a speed test at Gotham.

I got and Electrify M for my wife a couple weeks ago. It is an outstanding device, very snappy, sleek design, and a great value for the price. I have a GS3 and most of the thoughts I will share involve comparing the two. My first impression was that it feels very small, especially coming from a GS3. I actually still have a hard time believing the 4.3 inch screen size as it feels so much smaller than my old Mesmerize's 4 inch screen. 

When I was still in the store getting it activated for my wife, I downloaded quadrant standard and did a side by side benchmark with my stock GS3. The results were amazingly close (both scored over 4700, but GS3 edged it by 70 points). I have only owned Samsung droids, so the Motorola UI took a little bit to get comfortable with. It wasn't bad, but was not what I was used to. Especially how the menu button is located on the right and basically brings you to the task manager regardless of what screen you are on. The actual menu function is represented by the almost totally hidden 3 vertical dots. The main settings being located on the far left home screen through me off too.

The biggest strength of this phone is the unbelievable battery life. My GS3 was a huge improvement over the Mez, but the Electrify M blows them all away. My wife is a light user, but she regularly ends the day with 70% battery! The biggest weakness is probably the lack of accessory choices, but that could improve as its only been out a month. 

Conclusion: You have to decide what factors are most important to you and base your decision off that when considering buying the M over the GS3. For me the extra screen real estate for video and web browsing was the biggest factor. I have big hands and with a minimalist case like the DBA Thin Grip, it still fits fine in my front pocket. I love my GS3 especially since I rooted, changed over to the GoLauncher and automated everything with Tasker. I have no regrets with my pick. However, my wife is very happy with her Electrify M. So if you are an anti-Samsung person, price sensitive, or you really don't want the added size, but still want performance on par with the GS3, the Electrify M is definitely your best choice.

Just read the battery is not a removable battery, that raises concerns for me. Does anyone have any input on the battery? My only other grip is the camera quality, my Mesmerize takes better photos. I do not own the M but have lived in the US Cell store since I was available for an update. Again any feedback would be great.

Does this phone have a fit to screen option for chrome?

**update

I came across dolphin browser. Will be my first third party browser that I use since I had a android phone. Always used internet browser. Chrome is nice but its turning me off a little with this phone. Still on trial tho. But Dolphin browser pretty smooth.

Edited by simple _1

Just read the battery is not a removable battery, that raises concerns for me. Does anyone have any input on the battery? My only other grip is the camera quality, my Mesmerize takes better photos. I do not own the M but have lived in the US Cell store since I was available for an update. Again any feedback would be great.

The battery is not an issue. I go all day and have plenty left over. If you read the reviews, they pretty much all list the battery life as a feature.

Got the phone back on the 28th and I'm so glad that I chose something different.

This little machine is a beast. Great multi-tasker,quick and smooth, battery life and reception is what people say it is.

I came from the S3 and no complaints but I was in a situation to pick something else. The EM feels so great in hand. Nice heavy feel, and with the ballistic SG case on it, makes the phone more solid and not bulky at all. I'm also very impressed with the power. Simple things like YouTube not buffering while watching and the uniqueness of the UI. Will need time to play with the smart actions feature. The stock keyboard is nice too, it doesn't over suggest when typing.

I really prejudged this phone due to the size(came from mes to S3) thinking this would be like the mes feel, not at all.

I'm a stock user so no rooting experience to share.

Honestly, the S3 is a good phone and size but the EM is just as powerful as far as specs, only shorter memory. This phone should last me for a while. Still can swap at this time but most likely won't, and the abuse use I put on this phone over the weekend, I can't go back to the S3. Yeah more development and cases for the S3 but the EM is already fast, 4Gd, and it will get JB. No hurry for that tho.

And the abuse use meaning is basically me using the phone and testing how much it can handle ie multitasking.

Edited by simple _1

The only problem I have with this phone is that it loves to get stuck in 3G mode a lot. My area is all 4G but when the signal gets low, it loves to switch to 3G mode and most of the time I have to switch on airplane mode for a second to get 4G back. Hopefully with the Jelly Bean update they fix this?

I also need to get a case for this thing. Hopefully I can find a durable case here soon, since I've been almost a month without one...

The only problem I have with this phone is that it loves to get stuck in 3G mode a lot. My area is all 4G but when the signal gets low, it loves to switch to 3G mode and most of the time I have to switch on airplane mode for a second to get 4G back. Hopefully with the Jelly Bean update they fix this?

I also need to get a case for this thing. Hopefully I can find a durable case here soon, since I've been almost a month without one...

I decided to go with the RAZR M Otter Box Commuter Cases and I am pleased with the way they fit.