Sign in to follow this  
iR1O

[How 2] Unlock Bootloader

Unlocking the Motorola Electrify M's Bootloader

Now, I know what were all thinking... YAY! UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER!!!

Well, lets hold on a second. If you've never done this before do yourself a favor and CAREFULLY read the link provided by Motorola: Here

...Well, as exciting as this post started, it is now over. Be sure to CYA if you choose to do this and understand that your warranty (both physical and defect) are now void - so don't drop the darn thing while you're on the can!

You will have to create a Motorola Account to sign in and download the tool used to unlock it. I will add it to the Downloads section as soon as it uploads.

Edited by iRub1Out

I wonder if uscc will still honor the warranty for advanced exchange and such, I doubt Motorola emails them the list of phones that have had their boatloader unlocked?

Swyped while swerving from my Samsung GS3

According to this, once you apply for and get your unlock code, your warranty is void – even if you don’t actually use it to unlock your bootloader or if you choose to lock it again later.

WHEN IS MY WARRANTY VOIDED ?

Your device warranty will be voided as soon as an unlock code has been generated through our online tool, regardless of whether you actually unlock your device. Please do not request a bootloader unlock code unless you have read and accepted the terms of our legal agreement.

It appears you might be able to relock some devices, but it still won't matter from a warranty perspective.

HOW DO I RE-LOCK MY DEVICE AND GO BACK TO ORIGINAL SOFTWARE ?

You can re-lock your device. Re-locking a bootloader will ensure that the device will only boot to Motorola signed and provided Android Images. PLEASE NOTE: Re-locking a device will not reinstate your device warranty as damage might have occurred when the device was unlocked.

To return to Original Software, you will need to reflash a Motorola signed software image to your device, or send it in to our service center to get reflashed. MOTOROLA reserves the right to charge for any assistance required by users during this process. At this time, we are not posting a recovery image for the Photon Q 4G LTE.

Also, I’m guessing that carriers will look up what devices have been unlocked from Motorola’s database. There is a Check Product Warranty tool off this page that presumably provides the info if you enter the phone’s IMEI/ESN/MEID Number.

A good hack would be a way to obtain your own bootloader code or somehow unlock your phone without going through the Motorola site, so that you could return it back to factory state should you need your warranty. =-*

I think it would be hard to tell, unless it was sent into the repair center.  As far as AE is concerned, there really isn't any tools commonly availible to check this sort of stuff.  I'm sure with Verizon its probably different.

I would think though if you pay the $5.95 a month for insurance, it should still only cost you $100 to replace it even if the warranty is voided.

Edited by fish2222

I hate to bump this but I'm getting stuck unlocking the bootloader.  I'm lost at step #3:

1. Put your device in fastboot mode (press the power button and volume down button at the same time and connect your device to your computer with a USB cable).
  2. On your computer, open a command prompt or Terminal session.
  3. Go to the Directory where you installed the Android SDK tools, and type:  $ fastboot oem get_unlock_data

I opened a command window for where Android SDK tools is located but I cannot understand what I am to do from there.  My command line looks as such:

C:\Program Files <x86>\Android\android-sdk>

No fastboot command will work from here.  What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Wischmaster

I believe this was answered on the other thread you posted troubles to. If it was not answered, the command line example you gave, the parts contained within the < > were to be replaced with where ever they are on your computer. If I am not mistaken. Head over to that other thread and read. I think your answers are there.

It isn't a perfect world! Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2