Hurk

Electrify M Root - ICS

Matthius, thanks a bunch for working on this.  Is there a chance you could write up a tutorial on how exactly you did this?  I'm not sure how to use Twrp. Thanks in advance.

I'd still like to try this tool to see if it works to get root without all the headaches...  I am too chicken to try it though.

http://liliputing.com/2012/10/how-to-root-android-4-1-2-on-the-google-nexus-7-video.html

I tried that last night and it didn't work

Sent from my XT901 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Yep, rooted using CWM and deleting the recovery file mentioned above. I found it interesting this even worked. When I had that recovery file in ICS I couldn't flash CWM at all. Had to flash the stock rom that was posted in another thread before I could root.

Thanks!

Yep, rooted using CWM and deleting the recovery file mentioned above. I found it interesting this even worked. When I had that recovery file in ICS I couldn't flash CWM at all. Had to flash the stock rom that was posted in another thread before I could root.

Thanks!

Did you check frozen TEDC after the OTA to see if hotspot worked before rooting? Just curious. I don't have a need to root my phone at the moment.

Actually, no I hadn't looked at it. I forgot to, actually. I DID disable it before updating. And it was still disabled when I looked after update and rooting. So... I'd think it held up after the update and before root.

Sent from my rooted XT901 using Tapatalk 2

I disabled synchronous TEDC before the ota and it was still disabled after it was done. The hotspot works great! No need to root here yet... I have disabled all the bloatware i want disabled. About the only thing I could see rooting for now would be the actual ability to uninstall the bloatware to free up space.

I am sure ROM loaders will want the root but that is not for me.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't let me disable after update.it was disabled before update

You must have one of the rare cases in which it didn't stay disabled. Were you by any chance rooted prior to the ota?

Im with dBuster here. Rooted at the beginning, never got to 228 update and did the jb update over the computer. Disabled bloatware, awesome feature, and am good to go. I'd have to say after this update the phone is damn near perfect!

I'm going to assume you have to have unlocked bootloader to gain root after jb update using this method, correct?

Probably so.  I am just waiting for a version that will do it without unlocking like on the E2.

Edited by fish2222

I'm going to assume you have to have unlocked bootloader to gain root after jb update using this method, correct?

Probably so.  I am just waiting for a version that will do it without unlocking like on the E2.

you and me both

I disabled synchronous TEDC before the ota and it was still disabled after it was done. The hotspot works great! No need to root here yet... I have disabled all the bloatware i want disabled. About the only thing I could see rooting for now would be the actual ability to uninstall the bloatware to free up space. I am sure ROM loaders will want the root but that is not for me. Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Will this rom from here http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/3143-motorola-electrify-m-stock-firmware-unlockable/ safe for warranty repair? 

Thanks!

That is the stock firmware to get you back to factory setting. I have heard discussed something about a counter on the phones that shows they have been messed with, however someone here nows a lot more than me on that. Mts

Thanks for the link, I got it to work.  I did have issues with cwm at first but I found out that after you flash root.zip you have to remove recovery-from-boot.p ASAP before rebooting

After you flash cwm, remove the usb cable and power off the phone by hitting the power button on the side of the phone

once the device shuts off hold the volume up and power button at the same time.

flash the root.zip, reboot phone then delete /system/recovery-from-boot.p file before doing anything else

If you dont delete that it will bring you back to android recovery when you reboot

You should make a tutorial for this this great find Matthius

Fortunately I did not have to do this. I updated my SW with RSD lite, however. I lost root, but I did NOT lose CWM.

I loaded JB with RSD Lite, reflashed the CWM provided by Matthius, installed root.zip and I was good to go!

I've rebooted multiple times and I have yet to lose recovery or root access. 

So there is still no positive way to root this phone?? Because its a great phone in all i just want to get rid of all the bloatware.

So there is still no positive way to root this phone?? Because its a great phone in all i just want to get rid of all the bloatware.

I have disabled all the bloatware I wanted to without root. You really do not need root unless in my opinion:

A. You need synchronousTEDC disabled and did not do it before the upgrade or you factory reset and need to deal with that file again.

B. You want to run a different rom.

C. You want to uninstall the disabled bloatware. Although disabled they do nothing and uninstalling would just free up a little memory...

I am sure there are more reasons, but in my opinion those would be the ones...

Anyone care to add to my list? For the EM that is...

It is not a perfect world! Sent from my XT901 using tapatalk

I root to have a custom recovery with a backup. Especially for games and any other app that will lose its data when changing phones or any other cause of that data loss.

i cant get my bootloader unlocked can anyone help me i really want to root my electrify m

Really should be looking for the jelly bean root thread. There are also other newer threads on routing the EM in the forums....

Such as:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/3850-How-to-Root-the-M-for-dummies.-Works-for-Jellybean!

It isn't a perfect world! Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dBuster