• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 JohnB

JohnB

Amazing Person

• 542 posts
  • Device:Moto X / Electrify M

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Well heck, I guess I'll scratch that off of my list of things to do this weekend :D

#22 buddhaja

buddhaja

Hanging Around

• 12 posts
  • Device:Motorola Electrify M

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well guys, believe I've made a step in the right direction. I've got cwm 6.0.1.4 flashed and am making backup now, gonna try and stock root it. If anyone knows the best way to stock root a ROM, plz let me know otherwise i'll be doing some research.

#23 fish2222

fish2222

Kewler Than Kewl

• 376 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Haven't seen anything new yet, but so far I have to say I haven't even missed root access.  Phone has been great so far without it.  Except the Facebook 'cr-app' which I despise anyway lol

I'm with you on this. The phone works great. I can wait till they figure out a bug free way to root, or for the 4.1 update so they can figure it out again. lol

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

#24 buddhaja

buddhaja

Hanging Around

• 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Well i did it guys got root. Gonna write up a tutorial, attach files and you all will be able to f up your devices. LOL, jk. Let me know of any problems

• Badger48 and JadeFalcon like this

#25 JohnB

JohnB

Amazing Person

• 542 posts
  • Device:Moto X / Electrify M

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Well, it seems buddhaja may have brought a Christmas present!

#26 JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon

Kewl

• 156 posts
  • Device:Electrify M

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Man that's awesome!! I was curious about flashing CWM, since I unlocked the bootloader. But I didn't have a spare phone if I bricked this thing, so never tried.

#27 buddhaja

buddhaja

Hanging Around

• 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Alright, for those of you who lost root after ota update, or got the phone after ota update. Here you go. Long awaited root, LOL.

Use this guide at our own risk, i am not responsible for bricked or broken phones.

1. Of course you'll need android sdk, and Motorola USB Drivers for windows, cause i couldn't get it to work on Ubuntu 12.04.

Just google them.

2. USB Debugging needs to be on.

3. Phone needs to have unlocked bootloader.

Google that as well.

4. Download files.

1. cw-recovery.img - http://www.mediafire...22r5i1771cs1nf2

2. SU-Busybox-Installer.zip - http://www.mediafire...mutqmcqakjkperw

4. Put phone in mass storage mode and go ahead and copy SU-Busybox-Installer.zip to sdcard.

5. open cmd prompt, and type

adb devices

to make sure your drivers are working properly. Should return a serial number under "List of devices."

Then navigate cmd prompt to the folder where the recovery img is

6. Then type

adb reboot bootloader

to enter fastboot mode.

7. to be safe type

fastboot devices

just to make sure fastboot recognizes the phone. Should again return serial number.

8. Then install clockworkmod 6.0.1.4 (might work with other version, just havent tested them)

fastboot flash recovery cw-recovery.img

9. Once that finishes, can't remember if it restarts itself or you have to press power button, but if not the former then do the latter.

Then in cmd prompt type

adb reboot recovery

you should the be in cwm recovery.

10. Now for root, from cwm, volume down to "install zip from sdcard", then press power button, then "install from external sdcard",

then volume down to "SU-Busybox-Installer.zip" and press power. Once that finishes "Go Back" to the main menu of cwm and reboot.

11. Then install Superuser.apk from Play Store.

Should now be all set, Check with Root Checker from the market.

Sorry if any of this is vague. Let me know if you have problems.

It also occurs to me that version of cwm is the touch version, didnt try touch functionality. Someone let us know.

Edited by buddhaja, 22 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

• Badger48 likes this

#28 buddhaja

buddhaja

Hanging Around

• 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

One thing i see wrong is to replace "cw-recovery.img" in step 8 with "recovery.img if you use download link in step 4.

--FIXED ABOVE--

Edited by buddhaja, 22 December 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#29 buddhaja

buddhaja

Hanging Around

• 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

and also im not responsible for brick phones in any way shape or form. use this at your own risk

--FIXED ABOVE--

Edited by buddhaja, 22 December 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#30 JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon

Kewl

• 156 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

hrm... well in Step 8, I get no errors, and in CMD it shows everything was fine.

When I hit Step 9 and reboot to recovery, it fails to load. Instead I get the RED Triangle over the open droid.

Not sure why it's not booting into recovery. Did you start with a freshly wiped phone? Or were you able to root with a fully configured/customized stock phone?

Thanks,

-J

#31 JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon

Kewl

• 156 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Actually in step 8 am seeing an error: <bootloader> Variable not supported!

Then it goes on to target reported max download, etc etc.. OKAY

#32 buddhaja

buddhaja

Hanging Around

• 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

do you have unlocked bootloader? i had done no other mods except ran motofail2go unsuccessfully.

also i was doing a little research and i think that your phone erasing cwm recovery on reboot. after step 8. instead of hitting power button, trying type

fastboot reboot

in cmd prompt then continue, not sure this will actually help butworth a try.

it also seems that the photon q was having this issue. Check out this thread over at xda

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2021555

Edited by buddhaja, 23 December 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#33 fish2222

fish2222

Kewler Than Kewl

• 376 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Once we can get root without unlocking the phone, then I will jump on it.  I hate voiding the warranty!

#34 JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon

Kewl

• 156 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

do you have unlocked bootloader? i had done no other mods except ran motofail2go unsuccessfully.

also i was doing a little research and i think that your phone erasing cwm recovery on reboot. after step 8. instead of hitting power button, trying type

fastboot reboot
in cmd prompt then continue, not sure this will actually help butworth a try.

it also seems that the photon q was having this issue. Check out this thread over at xda
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2021555

Thanks, I tried these and saw that thread on the Q as well. Nothing has worked. Guess I'm just stuck with stock.

#35 Matthius

Matthius

Amazing... Enough Said

• 3,437 posts
  • Phone #:8652565702
  • Device:Galaxy s4

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Had electrify m rooted and unlocked till jb ota update was released. To get the update of course I flashed back to stock via rsd lite 6.1 and lost root.BTW love the update now just need root. Anyone help I've tried all methods so far. Flashed Cwm and nothing sticks seems like new update overwrites immediately upon reboot.

#36 dBuster

dBuster

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,757 posts
  • Device:EM, S4, Tab2, N7, X

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Had electrify m rooted and unlocked till jb ota update was released. To get the update of course I flashed back to stock via rsd lite 6.1 and lost root.BTW love the update now just need root. Anyone help I've tried all methods so far. Flashed Cwm and nothing sticks seems like new update overwrites immediately upon reboot.

I have yet to hear of a root solution since the jelly bean update/upgrade. Have not heard from those who had root and tried root keeper i believe to take the update/upgrade and whether they kept root.

Keep your eyes open and check the forums here as i am sure once it happens it will be all the rage here...

#37 JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon

Kewl

• 156 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I'm too afraid to try root keeper and lose... Sent from my rooted XT901 using Tapatalk 2

#38 Matthius

Matthius

Amazing... Enough Said

• 3,437 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Ha I just acquired root I have electrify m unlocked flashed stock firmware back through RSd lite 6.1 to accept 4.1.2 ota jb update. Finally got it after 2 days tried flashing cwm recovery and failed continually. Flashed twrp and finally found binary that worked to gain root access ...its superuser-3.1.3 arm signed. I have tried every method out there numerous zips to root and nothing till I found this zip. I'll help whoever I can to walk through this yea baby no preloaded crap apps anymore this setup is amazing.

#39 Matthius

Matthius

Amazing... Enough Said

• 3,437 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

The twrp recovery that worked for me is at http://aosp.us/?p=294 I flashed it through windows 7 adb commands held volume up and hold power for about 2 seconds to boot into recovery and from there downloaded and flashed the superuser arm zip Google it to download. I'm so stoked I actually got it froze tdcc through ROM toolbox and have mobile hotspot working also

• JadeFalcon likes this

#40 Matthius

Matthius

Amazing... Enough Said

• 3,437 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Please spread the word this is a working simple custom recovery & root method for Electrify M after jb ota update.

1 2