Mobile hotspot tethering block can be removed - Electrify M Discussion - TeamUSCellular

Photo

Mobile hotspot tethering block can be removed

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ace3166

Ace3166

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,032 posts
  • Device:Moto X

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Looks like you can remove Tethering/mobile hotspot block on the M without rooting.
Settings-Apps-All-SyncronossTEDC-disable
  • Badger48, pistolpetefan23 and Cablefed like this

#2 syrkel2

syrkel2

Hanging Around

• 15 posts
  • Device:motorola electrify m

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I did this a few days ago. the galaxy s3 users use the same method but they have to be rooted. I can confirm that this works because i'm using my 4G to post this right now using the built in mobile hotspot.

#3 Cablefed

Cablefed

New Here

• 3 posts
  • Device:Electrify M

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

I moved over from a Sung Mesmerize to a EM and am beside myself USC is charging to tether. I have tether on my phone but the wife does not. I just upgraded our plan with unlimited data and no tether. I'm gonna try this method and see if any issues come up. Hopefully not....$480 ($20 a month for two devices) a year to tether....give me a break! I don't want to root the phones just yet. We rely on our tethering for our internet source to our PC's. I just signed up for a new plan and we are still rolling on the old plan. I'm going to try this on the wifes phone and see how it reacts. Stay tuned...

#4 Ace3166

Ace3166

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,032 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

I moved over from a Sung Mesmerize to a EM and am beside myself USC is charging to tether. I have tether on my phone but the wife does not. I just upgraded our plan with unlimited data and no tether. I'm gonna try this method and see if any issues come up. Hopefully not....$480 ($20 a month for two devices) a year to tether....give me a break! I don't want to root the phones just yet. We rely on our tethering for our internet source to our PC's. I just signed up for a new plan and we are still rolling on the old plan. I'm going to try this on the wifes phone and see how it reacts. Stay tuned...

It works for now,but I would expect a future update would remove it,so I wouldn't depend on it for too long.

I think it may be a carryover from the Droid Razr M and because of the FCC ruling agaisnt Verizon about blocking tethering.

There were rules laid down for some spectrum Verizon purchased and blocking tethering violated one of those rules.

#5 RWC4USC

RWC4USC

Kewler Than Kewl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

If your a$$ gets caught, they will completely disable your data. I know you think it's a genius idea to screw the system on this one. But it's people like you that drag the speeds of the network down because of your selfishness.

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Edited by RWC4USC, 05 December 2012 - 04:29 AM.

#6 Damin69

Damin69

Hanging Around

• 39 posts
  • Device:Motorola Electrify M

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

If your a$$ gets caught, they will completely disable your data. I know you think it's a genius idea to screw the system on this one. But it's people like you that drag the speeds of the network down because of your selfishness.

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Man that is pretty harsh. And I am a bit shocked. If I have x amount of data that I pay for a Month on my plan what difference does it make how I use it. It Also has ZERO to do with anyone else. So you are saying that for paying more per month to use data that I already pay for is some how screwing someone else if I tether my laptop once in awhile and never go over my per month Data? I really do not see your Logic.

Back about 12 years ago ISPs used to charge you  a fee per computer in your house if you had more than one computer going on line if you were useing a Router. So do you feel that by someone with only one computer is getting the short end of the stick compared to the the guy down the street that has 3 computers online through his router? The guy with one is streaming Videos sucking up tons of band width taking full advantage of that Unlimited data he has using 100s of GB a month while the guy with 3 computer just him is wife and kid check thier emails FB a bit use about a gig a month for all the computers. So you feel that because they have 3 computers online at one time they should pay an extra fee?

Enjoy your Day!!

• Cablefed likes this

#7 Cablefed

Cablefed

New Here

• 3 posts
  • Device:Electrify M

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Dude.. I use 1-2 GB per month I doubt I am bogging down the network especially when all I use is G-Mail and Yahoo....to have to pay an additional $20 per line just to use tethering is crazy. If they update the system so be it. If not I'm cruising on without paying for tethering. If I get busted then I just change carriers...my 2 years is way past up. Besides US Cell gets $2148 a year from me and I'm the selfish one?

PS I disabled the app on the wifes phone and tethering is working fine. :P

• Damin69 likes this

#8 dBuster

dBuster

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,959 posts
  • Device:EM, S4, Tab2, N7, X

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I moved over from a Sung Mesmerize to a EM and am beside myself USC is charging to tether. I have tether on my phone but the wife does not. I just upgraded our plan with unlimited data and no tether. I'm gonna try this method and see if any issues come up. Hopefully not....$480 ($20 a month for two devices) a year to tether....give me a break!!!! I don't want to root the phones just yet. We rely on our tethering for our internet source to our PC's. I just signed up for a new plan and we are still rolling on the old plan. I'm going to try this on the wifes phone and see how it reacts. Stay tuned...

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Dude.. I use 1-2 GB per month I doubt I am bogging down the network especially when all I use is G-Mail and Yahoo....to have to pay an additional $20 per line just to use tethering is crazy. If they update the system so be it. If not I'm cruising on without paying for tethering. If I get busted then I just change carriers...my 2 years is way past up. Besides US Cell gets $2148 a year from me and I'm the selfish one?

PS I disabled the app on the wifes phone and tethering is working fine. :P

Did you root to disable the app on the wife's phone??  I am looking to do this also and I know with the Samsung devices you need to root and then disable/uninstall, however I have found that this EM device can disable without root... But I have not seen the tedc app that needs to be disabled.

#9 GoldenHurricane

GoldenHurricane

New Here

• 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I wanted to add that you can Bluetooth tether with both the M and the GSIII w/o root. I know it works for devices like the new iPad, which i use it for. All you have to do is go to: Settings -> under Wireless & Networks go to Tethering & Mobile Hotspot -> select Bluetooth tethering and then connect to the device as you normally would with Bluetooth.

• Ace3166 likes this

#10 applegateman

applegateman

New Here

• 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I was teethering wirelessly using mobile hot spot for the first five weeks of owning my em by disabling the syncro app. Then I started experiencing a bsod (blue sreen of death) stating an irq conflict and memory dump then rebooting. I am only able to teether now by using a usb connection. I upgraded my computers bios but am unable to teether wirelessly. Any Ideas??

#11 dBuster

dBuster

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,959 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

I was teethering wirelessly using mobile hot spot for the first five weeks of owning my em by disabling the syncro app. Then I started experiencing a bsod (blue sreen of death) stating an irq conflict and memory dump then rebooting. I am only able to teether now by using a usb connection. I upgraded my computers bios but am unable to teether wirelessly. Any Ideas???

Is there anything else that you can use to test the wifi hotspot on the phone is still working?  Sounds more like a corrupt windows since you got the BSOD...  Have you tried a USB wifi adapter to see if it works or not on the computer that is?

#12 nicholas9543

nicholas9543

Kewl

• 130 posts
  • Device:Motorola Electrify

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

This is no longer available after the jelly bean update. Just a heads up. Sent from my XT901 Motorola Electrify M while responding to a fire.

#13 Ace3166

Ace3166

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is no longer available after the jelly bean update. Just a heads up. Sent from my XT901 Motorola Electrify M while responding to a fire.

It is available until a factory reset is done.

#14 Damin69

Damin69

Hanging Around

• 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

It is available until a factory reset is done.

Which I have been reading Takes Place the very first time you reboot your phone after the JB update it Factory Resets the PHONE.

#15 crimpshrine

crimpshrine

Kewl

• 156 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Why would they release a update that factory resets your phone? I know there will be a lot of unhappy people when they update their phone, including me!

#16 dBuster

dBuster

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,959 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

The release does NOT factory reset your phone. Only one person had that happen and it is unknown as to why. Relax everyone... i have rebooted several times and have not been factory reset at all. There is a way to put your phone into a safe mode with only seeing factory loaded apps and settings so read up on jelly Bean is all I can say... kit is not this release on general but Android jelly bean from what I have read. What is known is that if your synchronous TEDC is not disabled prior to the update you will not be able to disable it the way the EM normally can disable apps after the update. I personally could never get the hotspot to work before worth ICS and still can't even with synchronous tedc disabled. So either i have a bad EM or something else is wrong. Personally i would love to tether as i am getting download speeds of 27mb! Whereas before the update it was only 18mb at best... Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dBuster, 09 February 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#17 dBuster

dBuster

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,959 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well it looks like i can use foxfi and not have any problems.. actually looks like it takes the place of the stock hotspot app... at least it takes you to it... just leave the tedc disabled before update... Update Looks like the stock app is working now. i think foxfi must have installed something that was missing from the stock app since it works now. Go figure... Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dBuster, 10 February 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#18 Themilkman

Themilkman

New Here

• 1 posts
  • Device:Motorola EM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

New to this forum but I just tried the instructions above and the only option I was given was a force stop. This disable option was not even highlighted. I just upgraded from the original Mortorola Electrify to the M model. Was told to do a system update right away so did the new version of JB take the disable option away. Just wondering because I miss the hot spot option from my old phone. I drive over the road and liked the security of wi-fi connection for my laptop versus the free wi-fi at truckstops or rest areas on the interstates. Any ideas are appreciated.

#19 pistolpetefan23

pistolpetefan23

Kewler Than Kewl

• 301 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

New to this forum but I just tried the instructions above and the only option I was given was a force stop. This disable option was not even highlighted. I just upgraded from the original Mortorola Electrify to the M model. Was told to do a system update right away so did the new version of JB take the disable option away. Just wondering because I miss the hot spot option from my old phone. I drive over the road and liked the security of wi-fi connection for my laptop versus the free wi-fi at truckstops or rest areas on the interstates. Any ideas are appreciated.

If you did not disable prior to updating to Jelly Bean than it will not work. It only works on Jelly Bean if it was disabled prior to updating, then it will carryover.

#20 dBuster

dBuster

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,959 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

But if you root your phone you can freeze tedc with titanium backup or even uninstall it. Or what ever method you desire to use to do the same thing...

Or look up the thread on flashing ICS back to you device disable tedc then upgrade again. I believe rsdlite is the app and or search term to find that thread or maybe someone who can post links and knows it can share that link here.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

1 2