Evil John

Anyone having issues with WiFi dropping and reconnecting?

My wife has a new Electrify M.

Keeps dropping and re-establishing the WiFi connection.

It is a new router (as of this summer), and I'm not seeing any other problems.

Thanks,

J

Yes, I am having the same issue with my Electrify M.  It is very frustrating.  It even happens sometimes when I am in our basement (very close to the router) and no signal from any other networks.   This is where it is most annoying because I don't have a good 4G signal.

This is the first I have seen of someone else having the same issue, which makes me glad I am not alone.  (I think!?)  I have been working with USCC tech support on it but I haven't gotten very far yet.

Here is what I have learned/done:

- First, my wife also has the Electrify M, and it is connected to the same Linksys Router in our house.  She has NEVER had the issue.

- I have tried changing the frequency (channel), issue still existed.

- I updated the router to the latest firmware, issue still existed.

- I did a factory reset of the router, and set the network up again with a different name and WEP password, issue still existed.

- I tried putting the Router in "G Only" mode rather than "Mixed", issue still existed.

- At the recommendation of USCC, I connected to my neighbors WiFi (with their permission, including WPA password), the issue never happened.

In the end I am trying to prove it is my router or my phone that is the issue, but I have conflicting results.  USCC has said they won't do anything unless it fails on a different network other than my own, even though my wife doesn't have the issue on her phone. 

I have not done a factory reset of my phone yet, and I am past my 15 days so I can't just swap it out anymore.

Anyone else have an idea for us?  I think there is a larger issue here than just the channel (frequency).

G only?

Not bashing, seriously, but considering it's a linksys, plus it's probably a little dated (2+ years)?

They simply wear out, it's a big issue especially with linksys in my experience. They a have the shortest lives of any I've ever used. Plus what you're describing is EXACTLY what both of mine did before pooping out entirely.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

- I did a factory reset of the router, and set the network up again with a different name and WEP password, issue still existed.

- At the recommendation of USCC, I connected to my neighbors WiFi (with their permission, including WPA password), the issue never happened.

Anyone else have an idea for us?  I think there is a larger issue here than just the channel (frequency).

So two things here:

First:  I have had the same issue as you and iRub1Out with my old Linksys WRT54G.  You could try installing DD-WRT firmware (that's what I did on my old one and it helped me get by for a few months until I bought a new router)  Read up on it when you have time, it's really cool what they've been able to do with old routers and bringing them back to life.

Second:  You setup your wifi as WEP, your neighbors is WPA, so I would recommend changing your wireless to WPA (it's much more secure also)

If you need help with any of those let me know and we can setup a time to work on it

G only? Not bashing, seriously, but considering it's a linksys, plus it's probably a little dated (2+ years)? They simply wear out, it's a big issue especially with linksys in my experience. They a have the shortest lives of any I've ever used. Plus what you're describing is EXACTLY what both of mine did before pooping out entirely. Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, G Only.  Most of our house is wired Ethernet, so I never worried too much about it. I agree it is probably getting to the point where I need a new router anyway...  I just want to make sure it really is likely to fix my issue before doing it, but I am happy to get a new router if that truly fixes the issue.  The only thing still bugging me is that my wife is connected to the same old router, with the same phone, and isn't seeing the issue.  It still makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the Electrify M itself, but maybe specific to G, or WEP, or something like that.

The OP (Evil John) said he was having the same issue, but that he had a new router.  I would be curious what model he has too, in case our issues really are related somehow.

Edited by Micah008

So two things here:

First:  I have had the same issue as you and iRub1Out with my old Linksys WRT54G.  You could try installing DD-WRT firmware (that's what I did on my old one and it helped me get by for a few months until I bought a new router)  Read up on it when you have time, it's really cool what they've been able to do with old routers and bringing them back to life.

Second:  You setup your wifi as WEP, your neighbors is WPA, so I would recommend changing your wireless to WPA (it's much more secure also)

If you need help with any of those let me know and we can setup a time to work on it

Thanks for the links.  I will check it out.

I know there was a reason I originally went with WEP because there was some device that didn't support more than that.  But, I can't remember what it even was (maybe we don't even have it anymore).   I will try switching to WPA to see if that helps with this issue.

I tried switching to WPA, but it didn't help the issue either.  I will try more things as time allows... since this had taken a while to figure out I am past my 15 days either way on the phone, and not ready to buy a new router just yet.

You could try assigning a Static IP address to your phone using the MAC address, In the seettings in you router.

G only? Not bashing, seriously, but considering it's a linksys, plus it's probably a little dated (2+ years)? They simply wear out, it's a big issue especially with linksys in my experience. They a have the shortest lives of any I've ever used. Plus what you're describing is EXACTLY what both of mine did before pooping out entirely. Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Not bashing here either, but the WRT54G series routers from Linksys are some of the best ever made.  I use one that is 4+ years old with no issues at all, plus they are one of the most unhackable units out there (learned that from my ethical hacking class), and they have tons of open source software developed for them.

Normally, I have found though if you are having issues with one, do a factory reset, and re-add your settings.  I think the settings in them can get corrupted from time to time.

I've never had a linksys (the original G series were hands down the best).

Mine always, always, always pooped out after 2 years. They would run slow, keep dropping connection...

All I'm saying is that the G series is very dated, it's old technology. I wouldn't be surprised if it were just going bad, I wasn't implying anything else.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Visiting family for Christmas, and I am having the same issue with my phone connected to their network also.  They have a brand new Linksys EA4500.  Again my wifes Electrify M doesn't have any issue connected to the same network.  I guess time to exchange the phone under warranty and try another ... unless anyone has another idea...  

Evil John- Did you ever figure anything out with yours?

I talked to a Us cellular Tech about this today and he confirms there is something wrong with the wifi and they are working on a fix. He said it would probably be rolled out in the next update.

I finally got sick enough of this issue to do something more about it...  I tried a few other things with Tech Support, and they eventually sent me a new phone through Advance Exchange. 

The new phone does not have the issue.  Problem solved.  No new router needed.  :)

Glad it got solved. Another great story about the good guys in the customer service game.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

True, wish I could say that about some reps Badger. Not that I know everything, but I always do my research and when talking to reps, they are just too "make the sale" scripted. I mean yes do your job but truly know the phone your selling.

Edited by simple _1

I do agree with that simple.  It definitely depends on the rep you get and how much they care about learning the devices.  Maybe I've been lucky, but it seems like at USCC the majority of reps I've spoken with are that way; when I was at Sprint the reps who cared were in the minority (at least the ones I spoke with).