buddhaja

Motorola Electrify M Root after OTA update

Alright, for those of you who lost root after ota update, or got the phone after ota update. Here you go. Long awaited root, LOL.

Use this guide at our own risk, i am not responsible for bricked or broken phones.

1. Of course you'll need android sdk, and Motorola USB Drivers for windows, cause i couldn't get it to work on Ubuntu 12.04.

Just google them.

2. USB Debugging needs to be on.

3. Phone needs to have unlocked bootloader.

Google that as well.

4. Download files.

1. cw-recovery.img - http://www.mediafire...22r5i1771cs1nf2

2. SU-Busybox-Installer.zip - http://www.mediafire...mutqmcqakjkperw

--UPDATE--For some reason this recovery doesnt work on some Electrify Ms,

If you get to step 9 and can't get into cwm recovery, start over and you                  this recovery img in place of the one above. http://www.aosp.us/wp-content/files/cw-recovery.img

4. Put phone in mass storage mode and go ahead and copy SU-Busybox-Installer.zip to sdcard.

5. open cmd prompt, and type

adb devices

to make sure your drivers are working properly. Should return a serial number under "List of devices."

Then navigate cmd prompt to the folder where the recovery img is

6. Then type

adb reboot bootloader

to enter fastboot mode.

7. to be safe type

fastboot devices

just to make sure fastboot recognizes the phone. Should again return serial number.

8. Then install clockworkmod 6.0.1.4 (might work with other version, just havent tested them)

fastboot flash recovery cw-recovery.img

9. Once that finishes, you have to unplug the device, power down, then hold power + volume up to reboot to recovery.

you should then be in cwm recovery.

10. Now for root, from cwm, volume down to "install zip from sdcard", then press power button, then "install from external sdcard",

then volume down to "SU-Busybox-Installer.zip" and press power. Once that finishes "Go Back" to the main menu of cwm and reboot.

11. Then install Superuser.apk from Play Store.

Should now be all set, Check with Root Checker from the market.

Sorry if any of this is vague. Let me know if you have problems.

It also occurs to me that version of cwm is the touch version, didnt try touch functionality. Someone let us know.

This is what I'm getting at Step 8.

(bootloader) Variable not supported!target reported max download size of 31457280 bytessending 'recovery' (5340 KB)...OKAY [  0.416s]writing 'recovery'...OKAY [  1.395s]finished. total time: 1.815s

Step 9 does not boot into recovery. Instead I get the RED triangle with !

From here, I can either press the power button to reboot, or press BOTH vol up + vol down, which takes me to the android recovery instead.

I just factory reset the phone and tried again with same results.

*UPDATE*
I read that in the /system/ folder, there is a file named recovery-from-boot.p file that reinstalls stock recovery on boot. I browsed to that directory and confirmed I have that file in my phone - and thus can't complete step 9 because stock recovery is reinstalled I guess?

Edited by JadeFalcon

Google that as well.

@buddhaja - First off, Thanks for your experimenting, as it will help the development of this phone very much.  My only "issue" is with step 3.  Granted, I know just rooting voids the warranty and all, but I would rather not have my phone officially "stamped" by Motorola as being bootloader unlocked.

Google that as well.

@buddhaja - First off, Thanks for your experimenting, as it will help the development of this phone very much.  My only "issue" is with step 3.  Granted, I know just rooting voids the warranty and all, but I would rather not have my phone officially "stamped" by Motorola as being bootloader unlocked.

I feel exactly the same way. I am going to wait for a root that works without unlock like my E2 did. I really have no reason to void the warranty at this point.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

nvm i thought you had the same problems i did. but your problem was with the bootloader deal :P 

Edited by raiden209

hello im having the same problem that jadefalcon is having, (bootloader) Variable not supported!...... i was hoping this was as easy as the first root method guess not. my bootloader is unlocked and has been for awhile.raiden209 did you

have any issues like this or was it pretty smooth for you?

Well the only other thing i did was tried the motofail2go exploit, i read somewhere it strips that file out or changes the name of it cause i dont have it in my /system/ directory. so try the motofail2go exploit first then go through the tutorial. Let me know.

--UPDATE--

the motofail2go exploit didn't work but maybe somehow it gains very temp root, enough to strip this file

Edited by buddhaja

raiden and I spent some time on this today, he walked me through trying a few things I hadn't thought of before. Still no go.

I will try the motofail2go method again, just prior to using your guide. Think I'll go ahead and factory reset it as well, just to be sure. I know factory reset was a big part of the motofail2go method - which is probably where removing that file comes into play. If I find a workable sequence, I'll report back with the steps.

May as well update....

Ok, I flashed the stock rom found here:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/3143-motorola-electrify-m-stock-firmware-unlockable/

This did indeed remove the /system/ file recovery-from-boot.p which was constantly re-flashing the stock recovery.

However, now I'm faced with CWM not flashing correctly (I THINK). Whenever I try to reboot into recovery, the phone just hangs on the unlocked bootloader warning screen - then eventually reboots itself to a normal startup. It's like it tries to boot from the recovery partition, but doesn't know what to do and gives up.

Probably doesn't help, but I believe the stock rom flash was definitely a step in the right direction (for me at least)

Edited by JadeFalcon

did you reunlock the bootloader afterwards? Sounds like cwm still not flashing properly

update: sry im an idiot, dont think it would hang on the ulocked bootloader screen if not.

Edited by buddhaja

Yep. that's what's frustrating. And also why I'd like to learn how to build a rom. Curious if we can incorporate the recover partition into that with cwm.

This is what I'm getting at Step 8.

(bootloader) Variable not supported!target reported max download size of 31457280 bytessending 'recovery' (5340 KB)...OKAY [  0.416s]writing 'recovery'...OKAY [  1.395s]finished. total time: 1.815s

Step 9 does not boot into recovery. Instead I get the RED triangle with !

From here, I can either press the power button to reboot, or press BOTH vol up + vol down, which takes me to the android recovery instead.

I just factory reset the phone and tried again with same results.

*UPDATE*

I read that in the /system/ folder, there is a file named recovery-from-boot.p file that reinstalls stock recovery on boot. I browsed to that directory and confirmed I have that file in my phone - and thus can't complete step 9 because stock recovery is reinstalled I guess?

Hey, I'm having this same problem, but I'm not seeing the recovery-from-boot.p file on my phone and unfortunately wasn't with it enough to make a backup of the stock recovery image before hand so now I can't factory reset either.  Does anyone have a copy of the stock rom handy?  The link in these formus says the file's missing still.  I'm hoping I could maybe make a clockworkmod img from it using the tools here: http://builder.clockworkmod.com/

Thanks.

I ended up getting the stock files from here:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/3143-motorola-electrify-m-stock-firmware-unlockable/#entry48008

With that I was able to extract the recovery_signed(.img) file, reload it with the "adb reboot bootloader", "flashboot flash recovery" process and do a "normal" factory reset.

So, many thanks!

Next, I tried to build a clockworkmod img based off of that stock recovery_signed(.img) file.

However, after loading that via "flashboot flash recovery" it seems to boot and then reboot immediately - still with the "warning your bootloader is unlocked" message, but not nearly as long of a delay on that as I was getting with the recovery.img posted originally in this.

Anyways, if someone else wants to take a stab at this the files are here:

http://jenkins.cyanogenmod.com/job/recovery/14332/

For now, I need some sleep.

Cheers.

BTW, even when flashing the stock recovery image back down, I still got the

(bootloader) Variable not supported!message, so maybe it's nothing to worry about?

I will be a working on this tonight. Though I will be setting it up to be flashed via RSD Lite rather than manually using adb flashing in command prompt. It will require unlocking the boot loader of course, but should make it a simple process for everyone. :)

I will be a working on this tonight. Though I will be setting it up to be flashed via RSD Lite rather than manually using adb flashing in command prompt. It will require unlocking the boot loader of course, but should make it a simple process for everyone. :) Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

I'd personally prefer an adb method as I don't have a windows machine handy and I think rsd lite is a windows app.

Next, I tried to build a clockworkmod img based off of that stock recovery_signed(.img) file.

However, after loading that via "flashboot flash recovery" it seems to boot and then reboot immediately - still with the "warning your bootloader is unlocked" message, but not nearly as long of a delay on that as I was getting with the recovery.img posted originally in this.

Anyways, if someone else wants to take a stab at this the files are here:

http://jenkins.cyanogenmod.com/job/recovery/14332/

For now, I need some sleep.

Cheers.

BTW, I found that once the recovery boot has failed and it's rebooted into the normal system you can use "adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg" to get the failed boot's kernel messages (this is actually a really nice feature).  In this case it amounts to a failed root fs mount, though I'm not sure what to do about that yet.  I guess it's further into the world of building custom roms by hand, but probably not until later ...

Anyways, the log is here in case any one's curious:

http://pastebin.com/t2xmkpYy

After much fighting trying to make one, I was finally able to find a clockworkmod that works for my Electrify M XT901:

http://aosp.us/?p=294

I'll post a copy here as well (nevermind, it wouldn't let me do that)

It's based off off of the Razr M, but it works just fine. With that flashed (via fastboot flash recovery), I was able to finally install the SU-Busybox.zip posted up above, and with that gain root.

Hope that helps someone else.

Edited by bpkroth

Well then.. I just got back to my comptuer (let cygwin install overnight n such) to work on this and I see bpkroth found another image that worked! Just tested it out on mine, and was able to boot into CWM! And phone is rooted!

So thank you for that!!

buddhaja, if you can - maybe add a link to the alternate recovery image on your OP? In case others have issues using one image or the other.

Thank you both very much!!!

Edited by JadeFalcon

After much fighting trying to make one, I was finally able to find a clockworkmod that works for my Electrify M XT901:http://aosp.us/?p=294

I'll post a copy here as well (nevermind, it wouldn't let me do that)

It's based off off of the Razr M, but it works just fine. With that flashed (via fastboot flash recovery), I was able to finally install the SU-Busybox.zip posted up above, and with that gain root.

Hope that helps someone else.

So, will this worked if you still have a locked boot loader?

You will still need an unlocked bootloader.

That's what I was afraid of. I still can't believe someone hasn't found an exploit like the old root and on the E2 so an unlocked boot loader is not needed.

Edited by fish2222

Worked perfectly. One word of advice would be for anyone is to put your cw recovery img in your main system directory documents , instead of in any subfolders. I fumbled for a few minutes untill a lightbulb said to move the file to where cmd prompt starts when opened. Thanks o.p. and all others for contributing. Nice to have root. Will install ota root keeper and hope that when j.b. rolls out this spring it stays rooted and will allow the ota.

Edited by slyedog