mad_dog

What is everybody using for *stable* JB ROM on R-760?

}{ello all!

I went back to the stock ROM after having no luck with one of Dark_Knight's CM10 ports. It was one of his orignal releases after he rejoined the community. This was before he started promoting the use of allenme's scripts. I LOVED the ROM, but it suffered from a few serious flaws:

1) I could not get a GPS lock even when the phone was sitting flat on a table outdoors.

2) I was never notified of new voicemails

3) Battery life was around 13 hours of non-use with Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS disabled, and just a few hours with any sort of use.

I was wondering what people are using for a current JB rom. I LOVED the features of JB and would be much endebted to anyone who can shed light on the current de-facto standard ROM.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mad_dog

That particular ROM in that thread is no longer being dev'd, not here anyway, and not by SlickRick aka CorruptData. On XDA, under original development you can find the latest KingKang, picked up by another dev, or the one I and many others are using PACman v19.3.0, which is a bit more stable and customizable. Will need to use the converter found in my signature. Also you can find there CM10 and CM10.1 for a simpler JB experience.

.: :: Sent from USC-GS2~PACman via Tapatalk 2 :: :.

But that term - "stable" - is too loose.

Will it be 80-90% functional? Sure, but roms, generally, are going to have a bug here and there.

So, will it work, yes, will it be perfect? Not for everyone.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

:D 80-90% stable? Ha ha ha.... Ha! I'll try a 50/50 on the right day. But your right, what I consider stable and useable as a daily driver may not for someone else. For what I do, PACman v19.3.0 has shown no glitches, but ultimately it's subjective for each user. Choose wisely, and know how to dig yourself out if things go sideways.

in my mind being 80-90% stable means it can easily get a normal user by - generally speaking. Allenme is spot on!

In other words (IMO) 75% of the battle is:

Calling

Data 3G/4G

SMS/MMS

Anything above those things is simply additional points. IDK, maybe I'm weird, but just having a rom that CORRECTLY connects to voice, data, and works like it should...I'm happy

It's when it can't correctly do calls/data that I consider it utterly useless - not even worth flashing - simply because my phone, although a S3, is still vital to its core purpose, to be a phone.

I agree with Allenme - everyone has their own opinion on exactly what "stable" means - everyone is different

And stability issues can arise in, what most consider stable, ROMs from user error during a flash... so, people really need to follow instructions to a t...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

}{ello all!

I went back to the stock ROM after having no luck with one of Dark_Knight's CM10 ports. It was one of his orignal releases after he rejoined the community. This was before he started promoting the use of allenme's scripts. I LOVED the ROM, but it suffered from a few serious flaws:

1) I could not get a GPS lock even when the phone was sitting flat on a table outdoors.

2) I was never notified of new voicemails

3) Battery life was around 13 hours of non-use with Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS disabled, and just a few hours with any sort of use.

I was wondering what people are using for a current JB rom. I LOVED the features of JB and would be much endebted to anyone who can shed light on the current de-facto standard ROM.

Thanks in advance!

Im actualy on the epic 4g touch of cm10.1 and it is very stable in my opinions. I actualy havnt found any yet.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Been using miui 3.1.11 with no issues. GPS, data, music, etc. works. I downloaded the e4gt version from miui.us and used the converter. Miui is different from other jb roms- Apple-like in appearance, use of folders instead of the app drawer, etc. I tried several others and found cna also works well for me, but is not getting updates like miui does.

Thanks! Going to give this a shot now. My phone isnt wanting to take any rom zips tonight. it will update the gapps though. Any ideas? im back on gb on droidroidz kernel with cwm touch.

Just tried king kang paranoid android and pacman and no dice. each one says error in whichever zip i choose and then another line says installation aborted. I'm clerly missing something since 3 different roms wouldnt work. factory reset all times as well.

Edited by smalltimehack

Flash sbrissens or JTuck's CWM 6 kernels, and you shouldn't get those errors. The roms you are trying need to be flashed from CWM 6.

aha. gotcha. ill give it a shot.

nope. didnt work either. same error. i gotta head to the gym real quick and ill try fresh installs then. all the zips show on my sd so idk.

Edited by smalltimehack

Post the exact error message, might help narrow down the problem. Chances are, with either CWM 6 kernel, you'll want to do a full wipe data/factory reset, and maybe under Mounts, format system. Then try flashing rom, gapps, converter if needed.

the next line after installing update is assert fail and theres a bunch of get props then the error in sd card and it lists the location of the zip and then in parentheses it says status 7. installion aborted is the end. sorry for the thread jack. i should have opened a new thread.

edit. formatted system and wiped data on this install.

edit 2. phone no longer boots past samsung screen. it hangs up there.

Edited by smalltimehack

Try the steps in my last post with CWM 6. The asserts are picking up prop info from ICS, and ering out. Format system under Mounts, wipe data/factory reset, then flash rom, gapps, then converter if needed. Make sure you have a backup just in case.

it hung on the reboot after i formatted last time so im flashing ics and will do the kernel again. i updated to jtucks kernel so i was on cwm 6.

im trying to do pacman. do i need the gapps from the xda forums or can i use the converter with inverted apps and be good? i swear im not stupid. im just missing something. lol.

it hung on the reboot after i formatted last time so im flashing ics and will do the kernel again. i updated to jtucks kernel so i was on cwm 6.

im trying to do pacman. do i need the gapps from the xda forums or can i use the converter with inverted apps and be good? i swear im not stupid. im just missing something. lol.

Running PACman here too. Yes, you need gapps first, then inverted, as the inverts don't include a full package. Not flashing gapps will cause all sorts of issues, the inverts only overwrite a few that are listed.

Edited by allenme

keep trying it on cwm 6 and nothing. still getting the same errors. fresh downloads fresh wipes. zips on my sd card. idk what im doing wrong.

now gapps wont flash where before it would. this time it popped up a message at the end saying it was bad. wth is going on here guys?

Edited by smalltimehack

keep trying it on cwm 6 and nothing. still getting the same errors. fresh downloads fresh wipes. zips on my sd card. idk what im doing wrong.

now gapps wont flash where before it would. this time it popped up a message at the end saying it was bad. wth is going on here guys?

I'd just remove the first few assert lines from the updater-script myself. I might have to add to the .prop file for my recovery to show D710 so it will flash those ROM's.

i have no clue how to do that. tried sbrissen kernel as well and that wouldnt even odin. ill give it a go tomorrow. im burned out on it tonight.

Updated my Kernel. I can confirm I was able to flash PAC ROM with no edits.

Edited by JTuck

got it running. forgot to update the bad gapps so that didnt go but its running. time to start playing. thanks everyone for the help. i really appreciate it.