• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts
  • Device:Axiom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Here it is, a simple guide to flash US Cellular's Samsung Axiom (SCH-830) with a pre-rooted ICS 4.0.4 ROM (thank "ssego" for cooking it up for us).

***Disclaimer*** by doing this you ARE voiding your warranty! You can fry your phone in the process, experience boot loops, render your phone inoperable, grow a third arm, so on and so forth. The long & short, bad things happen sometimes, YOU run that risk by flashing anything other than the carrier's (US Cellular) software & I take no responsibility for any problems which occur. If you are willing to accept the consequences then keep reading. At this time Clock Work Recovery (CWM) is Not available for this phone, we are hoping to see something in the near future.

~Preparation steps~

Step 1. Go download the phone drivers from here (you may not need to take this step if your computer recognizes your phone as a mass storage and the SD Card).

http://www.all-samsu...-download.html/

Step 2. go download Odin from here

http://android.sc/do...n-3-04-version/

Step 3. Back up anything you can't live without (pics, contacts, etc). When I flashed the ROM it did Not change any of my personal files, but again it is possible.

Step 4. Go into settings, scroll down to where it is labeled "Developer Options". Once the options open & you get past the warning screen, place a check mark in "USB Debugging". Also go into Security and check mark the spot from "Unknown Sources" (you can change this back after the flash).

Step 5. Download the pre-rooted ROM here ****Link for the pre rooted ROM is over at TeamUSCellular.com under Axiom**** (http://www.filedropper.com/debloated)

Now the fun begins! ;) ~Flashing Steps~

1. Power your phone down and plug your Samsung factory USB cord into your computer and phone.

2. Open ODIN on the Desktop.

3. You will need to power the phone on by Holding Down on the Volume Button & pushing the Home button (big physical button at the bottom) at the same time. Push the Power button while holding down the other two, if you have done this correctly you will see a !Warning! screen with a triangle at the bottom.

If you have any doubts about doing this hit the Volume Down button to restart the phone. If you are ready to proceed, hit the Volume Up button, you then will find yourself on a screen that says "Don't turn off the Target".

Over in ODIN you should see the ID:COM box light up with the box underneath showing COM with a number behind it.

Step 4. check mark the PDA box in ODIN and click the PDA button, from here locate the "Debloated.tar" file in your computer and click open. You should see the path of the file beside the PDA button.

Step 5. When I flashed the ROM, I had the "AutoReboot" & "F.Reset Time" checkmarked in ODIN (ssego told me he only had AutoReboot checked). Set the phone down on and click "Start" in ODIN. You will see the com box in ODIN change to a progress bar. When ODIN finishes the phone will reboot (may take a couple of seconds, don't panic).

Step 6. Go to Google PlayStore and download the SuperSU app (https://play.google....ainfire.supersu) , BUSYBOX INSTALLER APP(https://play.google....sybox.installer) & ROOT CHECKER APP (https://play.google....ykrim.rootcheck).

Open Super user and make sure it is up to date. Open Busybox and make sure it is also up to date.

Now open Root Checker and hit verify root access, you should see a result of "Congratulations, Your Device has Root Access"

You now have Full Access to your phone. In reference to Ssego's ROM everything is functional. I did noticed my speed dial contacts went from 99 to 9, apparently not uncommon (not sure why, but it has happened on the Axioms big brother the S3 also.) The speed dial reduction is not happening to everyone.

I did have a minor problem getting the GPS to lock, but modified the GPS.config with file manager resolving the problem (may have been a result of the F.TimeReset being check marked.) If this happens to you send me a PM, I'll walk you through the fix.

If you are new to Root access, be careful. It is a wonderful thing, if you like to tinker, things can go south fast! Make sure you read up on things (settings, apps, etc.) before you jump in.

I have uninstalled several system apps using Titanium Back-up, thus freeing up more resources for the phone. If you are unsure about the app, make a backup & freeze it to see if it is a necessary system app. The biggest factor for me wanting root access, was uninstalling the "Synchronoss TEDC" app to allow for unrestricted tethering access as we don't have landline internet access.

I hope this guide has helped you work through the somewhat confusing process. If this helped you out hit the thanks button!

Twisty

P.S. The driver and Odin files were for a Windows machine.

Edited by Twisty, 08 April 2013 - 01:11 AM.

final1359060432169.jpg

#2 sethert99

sethert99

Hanging Around

• 24 posts
  • Device:Galaxy Axiom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

How do I get the rooted ROM? I download it, but WinRar and 7zip both think the file is corrupt. Do i need to change the extension?

#3 snodrog742

snodrog742

Seriously 2.0...

• 5,875 posts
  • Phone #:2706812326
  • Device:iPhone 5s
  • Google Talk:teamuscc2011@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:106781649499633521245

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I got an error as well.  Let me message him and see if he can reupload it

meblend3.jpg

#4 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts
  • Device:Samsung Axiom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm the one who uploaded it.  I'm going to download the file from the link and test it myself.  If it doesn't work for me I'll re-upload it.

#5 snodrog742

snodrog742

Seriously 2.0...

• 5,875 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thanks ssego!

meblend3.jpg

#6 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts
  • Device:Samsung Axiom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

File opened fine for me.  I'm using 7zip on Windows 7 x64.  Maybe it was a bad download for you guys or something..  strange.  Hopefully we'll have a working custom recovery soon so we don't have to download this massive file just for root.  I invited you on GTalk sno, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

#7 snodrog742

snodrog742

Seriously 2.0...

• 5,875 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

I finally got it to work with Ez7z. You could try this: http://teamuscellula...oated-root-rom/ since it's the same file, just unzip it.

• sethert99 likes this

meblend3.jpg

#8 sethert99

sethert99

Hanging Around

• 24 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

File opened fine for me.  I'm using 7zip on Windows 7 x64.  Maybe it was a bad download for you guys or something..  strange.  Hopefully we'll have a working custom recovery soon so we don't have to download this massive file just for root.  I invited you on GTalk sno, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

I've tried it on Windows 8 x64 and Ubuntu 12.10 x64. It tells me it's corrupt? I'll try snodrog's download and see if it helps.

#9 sethert99

sethert99

Hanging Around

• 24 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I think this download is going to fix the problem. On the original download it downloads 21mb of data and says it's complete. but this one is downloading 546mb. I should have seen the 21mb as a problem sooner.

#10 sethert99

sethert99

Hanging Around

• 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Got it, thanks! :) anyone know what the SIM Toolkit icon in the app drawer is? It appeared after installing the ROM. Can Busybox installer be removed after you've installed busy box?

#11 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hey just FYI, if you are trying to download anything from the mobile platform use Opera browser. It is the 1 mobile browser that will download large files. I downloaded the Rooted ROM from Opera and unzipped it using a compatible app from the Play Store.

final1359060432169.jpg

#12 Ddizane1980

Ddizane1980

New Here

• 4 posts
  • Device:Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

I'm new and trying this root process and I also get an error when clicking the 7zip file. I tried it in PeaZip and it says archive is not readable would you like to try a password?

Edited by Ddizane1980, 23 January 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#13 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

When I used this file (Winrar), I didn't unzip the file, I opened Odin 3.0.4 and located the file in windows. Odin & Winrar took care of the rest.

I have tried to unzip the file and not received any errors, so I'm not sure what the problem is. My system is running XP home Odin and Winrar.

final1359060432169.jpg

#14 Ddizane1980

Ddizane1980

New Here

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

When I used this file (Winrar), I didn't unzip the file, I opened Odin 3.0.4 and located the file in windows. Odin & Winrar took care of the rest.

I have tried to unzip the file and not received any errors, so I'm not sure what the problem is. My system is running XP home Odin and Winrar.

The file ext. for me is 7z and does not show up when I look for it.

#15 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Try "Winrar", believe there is a trial period for use.

final1359060432169.jpg

#16 Ddizane1980

Ddizane1980

New Here

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

The archive is corrupt.

#17 Ddizane1980

Ddizane1980

New Here

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Is this all supposed to be done from your mobile phone? Maybe that is where I'm going wrong

• na7q likes this

#18 na7q

na7q

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,674 posts
  • Device:Note II & Electrify
  • Google Talk:mike.ph4
  • Google Plus:117490729411959897180

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

computer as stated

Donations to me can be sent here!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2014-1369138552-6.g

"just because you have an engine spot doesn't mean you can put in a jet engine"
- Zenzr

#19 snodrog742

snodrog742

Seriously 2.0...

• 5,875 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://teamuscellula...oated-root-rom/

Try the zip rather than the 7z

meblend3.jpg

#20 IsaacV

IsaacV

New Here

• 1 posts
  • Device:Samsung Axiom R830
  • Google Talk:kmxisaac@gmail.com

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hey there, It worked fine, however it's just me, or the WiFi is gone!? Please help // Nevermind, Something went wrong with my loca WiFi Network, Works Great!

Edited by IsaacV, 18 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

1 2