Performing an External to Internal SD swap for Samsung Galaxy Axiom - Axiom Development - TeamUSCellular

Photo

Performing an External to Internal SD swap for Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Samsung Axiom SD Swap US Cellular

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 L0B0

L0B0

New Here

• 1 posts
  • Device:Galaxy Note 2

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Hi guys,

I just finished following your excellent root guide for my little brother's Galaxy Axiom. It went flawlessly, thanks! The purpose of the root was to allow us to swap internal and external SD card locations by using a script. The Axiom only comes with 2gb internal, and with the new ban on moving apps to external storage we aimed for this solution. Unfortunately the only options are for the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note2. Do you guys have any advice? Thanks!

#2 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts
  • Device:Axiom

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Can you clarify, I'm not sure what you mean by ban on moving apps to SD.

final1359060432169.jpg

#3 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts
  • Device:Samsung Axiom

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

The way most modern phones are set up the mount point /sdcard points to a folder in internal storage while the external sdcard is mounted at /ExtSdCard.  It appears that they do this so that devices without external sdcards don't have issues with older software that is hard coded to look for an /sdcard mount point to store data on.  When you install an app on these phones (Axiom included) it is stored in the /data/app folder of the internal memory.  If you move it to sdcard using the OS's built in method it simply moves it to the /sdcard mount point which is also in internal memory, so you don't gain any space by doing it.  Moving an app to SD is not even an option on my Axiom.

I've been working on this problem but I'm not having much luck.  Ideally I'd like the internal memory to stay the same and mount the external sd at /sdcard..  but there's something stopping me and I think it's related to how Samsung has everything set up.  The /sdcard mount point appears to be a symlink to /media/data and when I try to unmount /sdcard I get errors.  I've tried using the scripts and apps that were designed for the S3 to fix this issue but they don't work on the Axiom.  I'm not giving up, and if anyone has any suggestions I'm listening.

#4 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the explanation, I just received the "insufficient storage" notice when trying to update a few of my apps. What about a program like "Link 2SD" with an alt partition on the EXT SD?

Edited by Twisty, 08 February 2013 - 02:11 PM.

final1359060432169.jpg

#5 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Im using Link2sd already. Its nice but doesn't totally fix the problem. Some games, notably Gameloft games, store game data in a folder on /sdcard. Since our phones have /sdcard in internal memory those games take up HUGE amounts of app space. Install Sims 3 and you'll see what I mean. Link2sd doesn't fix that.

#6 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

I ended up having to re-flash the nand backup due to an issue with Link 2 SD. Everything appeared to be working but I would receive an error w new downloads "insufficient memory".

Not exactly sure what went wrong.

final1359060432169.jpg

#7 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'll tell you what went wrong.  The gallery thumbnails file is stored in the /data partition (internal memory) along with all other app data.  The thumbnail cache on my phone has been as large as 700MB on it's own, and all the other apps cache data there too.  What we need to compliment Link2SD is something that moves the /data directory to SD as well so that most of the data is stored on SD like it should be.  I've tried some of the data2sd mods but the only one that seemed to work was hardcoded to save it's output to /sdcard...  which for us doesn't do a bit of good.  Your internal memory was most likely full of cache files and various other app data that should be on the external sdcard.

#8 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I looked at and app called All data to SD, I initially did not have the proper partition on my card so it didn't work. I may give it a try after I get back to home coverage area ( that's where my laptop is so I can fix my phone if something goes south).

final1359060432169.jpg

#9 Twisty

Twisty

Becoming Kewl

• 98 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Here is the link if anyone else is feeling froggy

https://play.google....ls?id=rappsd.v1

final1359060432169.jpg

#10 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

That's the app that I mentioned in my post above.  It would work if we could change the destination to /ExtSDCard but it's hardcoded to /sdcard.

#11 sethert99

sethert99

Hanging Around

• 24 posts
  • Device:Galaxy Axiom

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I know how to do this. I currently have 14.8gb internal SD. I can post a tutorial here tomorrow afternoon. You need root.

#12 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

Id like to find a way to undo whatever Samsung did and make things run correctly.. with internal still internal and the external mounted to /sdcard.. but nothing I've tried works.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

#13 sethert99

sethert99

Hanging Around

• 24 posts
  • Device:Galaxy Axiom

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

I know. Why'd they even put that restriction there?

#14 ssego

ssego

Becoming Kewl

• 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Presumably for phones wuthout external sd slots. Makes sense for them.. but not for us.

#15 therealtoddster

therealtoddster

Almost The Best

• 605 posts
  • Device:Note3

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I know how to do this. I currently have 14.8gb internal SD. I can post a tutorial here tomorrow afternoon. You need root.

Any update?

#16 BoгИX

BoгИX

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,975 posts
  • Device:SGS3

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Any update?

Here it is:

http://teamuscellula...ternal-SD-Cards

Sent from my SCH-R530U

• therealtoddster likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Samsung, Axiom, SD, Swap, US Cellular

1 2