UPEngineer

JB Update - Experiences - Opinions

So then 5 days of testing..  not too bad...  At least they will get the bugs and quirks hopefully shaken out of the final release on the 12th...

I'm not sure just how tight lipped you guys that are testing Jelly Bean out are suppose to be but I was wondering if any of you could give any insight on if there is a better 4G connection with the new update? My 4G signal seems very low most of the time and it will change to 3G mode and get stuck a lot. I'm just seeing if Motorola might of fixed some signal connection issues with the new update. Thanks!

It may be where you are or three building you're in.

Are you FULLY in a 4G area on their coverage map? If so it could be neighboring steel buildings that restricted the signal.

I doubt it's software related.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Where I work is in a steel building and I understand that is the cause of me having trouble at work, but I can be traveling down the highway and it will lose 4G and then get stuck in 3G unless I put it in airplane mode for a second. And yes, I'm in a good 4G area, no fringe area or anything like that.

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to fix some 4G connection problems in some release notes I saw, but I could of been dreaming?

Okay I can tell you this, if you look at the speedtest results I am including screen shot of you will see.  To me my opinion, I think it has improved 4G...  But that is me.

As far as tight lipped goes, I reached out to a few others who are testing also and asked for input as to a JB update tip thread possibly to let everyone know what to keep an eye out for what might be different, etc...  Look for that later today.

But for now the screen shot!  If you notice the results above the word Jelly Bean and compare to those below Ice Cream Sandwich...  Taken from the same location just different times of the day.  If that matters or not I do not know yet.

post-4419-0-01338400-1360600940_thumb.pn

Edited by dBuster

So I am sure everyone has seen that the Jelly Bean update to 4.1.2 is coming to the Electrify M.  Some of us have been testing the release for the past 5 or so days.  This thread is being created with some things experienced and some possible tips.

Please do not expect myself or those others who participated to be knowing how to root or do anything to modify the new version, at least not right now.  We have been focused on testing and making sure that the update doesn't break our phones.

Where to begin.  

1.  Speed and performance - In my experience with the new version it is fast!  Remarkably Smooth!  Some have experienced minor glitches such as a flicker here and there when swiping one way or the other but I have yet to find that to interfere with anything especially performance.  There were some quadrant results posted and there was a question regarding differences experienced and all I can say is that there was a difference in what apps were running in the background and that will affect any performance test.

2.  You will need to pay attention to how to clear cache.  I have not personally done the clearing of the cache but someone else has and they had issues if I recall correctly.  But for those who want to know here it is:

• You can clear cache using the startup menus.

• Volume up+down+power for 4-5 seconds
    • Choose Recovery mode (volume down to navigate, volume up to select)
    • You should see the dead Android ! graphic.
    • Press volume up+down. This may not work every time; may have to try several times.
    • Should go into the boot menu where you can choose to clear cache.

3.  The use of the power button.  I believe this is a Jelly Bean change but here it is, and if you do put your phone in SAFE mode, the word SAFE is displayed on the phone itself.

System

• You can long press the 'Power Off' option in the power menu to boot your device to safe mode. When booting in safe mode the device only loads and runs applications, present on the device in its factory-fresh, out-of-the-box state.
  • A new 'Reset app preferences' button lets you quickly reset default applications for specific activities, background data restrictions, notifications suppressions, and more.

4.  I am a heavy Tapatalk user and I experienced issues such as reading one thread and then backing out to the thread list all of the threads would have been marked as read.  Then logging out and trying to log back into a forum would loop the login process for me.  I uninstalled and re-installed the latest version and cleared the data from the programs menu for Tapatalk and the issue was still there.  

The fix I found by working with jeremy972, that he said on his old Electrify that last version that was still working well of Tapatalk was version 2.4.8.  So I removed all Tapatalk from my phone and installed just the 2.4.8 version.  Issues were there at this point, but I went to the play store and let it upgrade to the current version and something in the process was fixed and now my Tapatalk is working exceptionally well!

jeremy972 also found I believe that if he uninstalled and then re-installed the latest version it seemed to work for him.  Me, I had to do as described above.

5.  Battery Use - Maybe I ought to have started out with this one.  Oh well.  You will notice after updating your phone/device that your battery usage will go up.  You may experience this for a day or two before everything settles down.  It is normal with the update.  Nothing to worry about!  Do not post unless your only getting an hour or so of use on a full charge  =o  Trust us all it will settle down!!!  

6.  Under battery use - ANDROID OS - Everyone will also experience a high percentage of battery use going to Android OS.  It was explained to us that this is also normal after an update as everything is in the state of sync and that once things settle down in a day or so the percentages will be back to what they were pre-update/upgrade.

7.  Rebooting the phone while connected to a computer via USB cable after update causes phone to be reset.  There was a case of someone after getting the update had their phone connected to the computer via a USB cable and when they went to reboot their phone as they normally do daily, it wiped or reset their phone!  Personally I have yet to experience a reset.  I have rebooted several times and not once did I reset.  But it could happen.

8.  Communications - WIFI - Bluetooth - Some will notice that things are different regarding those areas of the Operating system as well.  The notable one being the Bluetooth tethering.  It is there just need to explore to locate it.  Android changes moved it to a different area of the same tethering area.  Some experienced issues with Bluetooth pairing with portable devices such as ipods.  If you clear the connections and re-establish as it was like a first time it should clear things up and work.  If not post and others who had the issue can chime in.

9.  Sound - I experienced as well as others what seemed like subdued ringers.  When I say that I am referring to the volume level your were used to for your ringer with ICS will be different and almost sound like it is quieter with JB.  Just need to turn it up a little more.  That is all I did.

10.  Different apps loaded - bloatware - yes bloatware is there.  There are different ones and many of the same ones.  I have disabled many of them and if anyone wants to know what I disabled I can post that here in a different reply.  Mainly it all lies with preference as to what you want to disable.  I must add in though, there is one that I will not mention in this thread but if you update/upgrade without it disabled you will not be able to disable it after the update/upgrade.  See other threads in this forum and you will see.

11.  4G-lte - OMG!  Is all I must say.  Speed test wise I saw a big improvement with my 4G speeds!  I will attach the speedtest results showing the Jelly Bean results as well as Ice Cream Sandwich results.  Download speed is amazing.  Not sure if the update changed something with the radio for 4g or not.  But I am pleased.

post-4419-0-84488600-1360618822_thumb.pn

12.  Camera - You will notice that the soft keys or buttons for back home and what the other one is called I am drawing a blank now, but anyhow, as with the ICS version the buttons will not turn or rotate when you go from portrait to landscape.  I thought that it might be changed with JB but not yet.  The camera is pretty much the same style as the ICS version but in my opinion after using it a few times seems a little faster.  The first time using the camera though it seemed like I was looking at an old interlaced computer monitor but that was only the first time in the camera after the update.  After that it was and has been rock steady.

Have I missed anything?  I am sure I have but there are others who will add in their experiences as well to this thread.  I started this to help those in the update/upgrade process trying to keep some questions down to a minimum and possibly to help others out.  Please do not shoot the messenger.  

One thing to add, update went smoothly, I was washing dishes when my update/upgrade applied.  I only happened to see the update/upgrade android bot out of the corner of my eye.  I am sure it will be different for everyone else but it is painless as far as I was concerned.

Enjoy your Jelly Bean!!!   :-!

Well I was waiting for clearance from someone prior to posting this.  Been 4 hours 30 minutes since my last try to contact without a reply so here goes nothing...  Hopefully this doesn't touch off any legal questions from testing...

**** UPDATE ****

It appears that with the latest Jelly Bean release on this device that Speed Dial settings are not there.  You have other options such as direct dial and or Google Now.  I am sure that you could probably find a third party app to replace the speed dial.  Personally I haven't used speed dial with an android device only with the old non smart phones.

Edited by dBuster

Doing some sleuthing it looks like Google took out Speed Dial from all phones on JB. What a joke. I guess I'll have to check out the Direct Dial thing, or perhaps download a different dialer. Any suggestions? I used Go Contacts which had a dialer previously I believe and it was ok but not great. 

I use speed dial too for certain family contacts, but direct dial won't hurt. I need to try something different anyways but if not, I will search apps as well.

Nice details @dbuster, but honestly, I never thought a update or test update for a OS would be top secret. That's funny, no offense to the beta testers tho.

No update yet by the way and its the 12th. I know, there pushing them out.

Edited by simple _1

I use android pro widgets for dialer shortcuts on my home screen. Very similar to the htc favorites widget, maybe that would work for you guys.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I agree about taking out the speed dialer but maybe their thinking was to take it out and maybe more would use the new Google now app instead.

My opinion on Google now is that they are trying to make a fad like siri is for the apple product... maybe it has other uses but the trade off on battery and what not is why i am not using it. i tried it and it is" neat" but not for me....

Regarding keeping the testing secret, all companies do secret testing. I am sure some such as the Samsung update as the S3 is so strong in numbers that one may not even know of the testing found on prior to release. The EM is a cousin to other Motorola devices but also unique in its own way and only a USCC device so they could only get testers from USCC...

As far as wanting to keep it secret, well if i was a company i would want any issues/problems to be addressed prior to everyone else getting it. Look how software companies like Microsoft release public test software and secretly father results from your PC more than likely without your knowledge your sharing the information.

Sent from my Jelly Bean XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dBuster

Kewler, I appreciate your detailed rundown on the changes but your #10 is just too cryptic for me. Can we have some better hints ?, esp since it seems we must disable something NOW or forever lose that ability unless we root. Thanks.

Kewler, I appreciate your detailed rundown on the changes but your #10 is just too cryptic for me. Can we have some better hints ?, esp since it seems we must disable something NOW or forever lose that ability unless we root. Thanks.

Just look in the same forum a couple of thread down. I understand why he is not posting it here but it should be easy to figure out of you read the headings about what does not work after JP update. in the headings.

Just look in the same forum a couple of thread down. I understand why he is not posting it here but it should be easy to figure out of you read the headings about what does not work after JP update. in the headings.

@Couperin - No need for your "Ovaltine Secret Decoder Ring".....

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/3690-jb-update-root-and-all-syncronosstedc-disable-a-no-go/

Thank you for replying and answering this!  I appreciate it!

On a side note, has anyone started to update/upgrade yet?  Or did it not go out today?  Or is there new news from USCC???  

Sorry been busy trying to get taxes done... ugh... 

I have not gotten notice of it on my Phone yet. I am also sitting back and watching for a bit before I jump into it on my 4 phones.. :-)

I haven't been received the update yet either. Periodically I hit the software update button, but it still claims my software is up to date, even though I know otherwise. Any suggestions to get the ball rolling?

I haven't been received the update yet either. Periodically I hit the software update button, but it still claims my software is up to date, even though I know otherwise. Any suggestions to get the ball rolling?

Suggestion - PATIENCE! 

When it comes it will come.  I would not get antsy.  With some of the experiences the update may just be pushed out later.  I know the test push did not happen until after 4pm, central time, on the day it was rolled out to us.

To get the ball rolling, patience... I would just sit back and wait.  No need to rush it.

I definitely would not be doing any resetting of the device and or rebooting of the device.  I would only reboot if you are frozen or locked up for something if the plan by USCC is still to push it out today.  Has anyone checked their Facebook page to see if anything is mentioned there?  Or anywhere else for that matter?  I see the downloads page still is not showing the update. 

It could be delayed for all we know at this point.  I am no big wig involved in this, only a user who took the time to participate and share.

Thanks all. BTW in case someone else get's caught in this trap: I was preparing for the update by making sure I had everything backed up, and I had assumed that, of course, all my contacts were perfectly synced to my Gmail account. I go in to check and to my horror, only 2 of my contacts on my phone are in there. Only after almost an hour of hunting did I find/realize that importing from a non-Android phone creates entries that cannot sync and cannot easily be converted into legit Android contacts. The common cure suggested is to backup your contacts and then restore to the phone. This did not work for me. In the end I had to export the contacts, email them to my account, import them from there and sync. This produced duplicates of each account in the phone (one Android, one not) fortunately you can then merge them... one at a time....

Thanks all. BTW in case someone else get's caught in this trap: I was preparing for the update by making sure I had everything backed up, and I had assumed that, of course, all my contacts were perfectly synced to my Gmail account. I go in to check and to my horror, only 2 of my contacts on my phone are in there. Only after almost an hour of hunting did I find/realize that importing from a non-Android phone creates entries that cannot sync and cannot easily be converted into legit Android contacts. The common cure suggested is to backup your contacts and then restore to the phone. This did not work for me. In the end I had to export the contacts, email them to my account, import them from there and sync. This produced duplicates of each account in the phone (one Android, one not) fortunately you can then merge them... one at a time....

Or use My Contacts Backup from US Cellular to back up all those contacts...  including the unconventional ones.  It is free and you can modify your contacts from the computer as well.

Thank you. Was browsing US Cellular's Facebook page, and here's what they just posted:

"Good afternoon Michael! The updates will start approximately 6:00 p.m. CST. During this time customers who did not get the update notification can manually pull the upgrade. You have to ensure you have a WI-FI connection, then go to menu>settings>about phone> system updates. If the update is available you have the option to download immediately, automatically after a 30 second period, or you can defer the download to a more convenient time. So stay tuned and I hope this information proves helpful. If you have any questions, I'm here to back you up! ^Althena, USCC Social Team"

Thank you. Was browsing US Cellular's Facebook page, and here's what they just posted:

"Good afternoon Michael! The updates will start approximately 6:00 p.m. CST. During this time customers who did not get the update notification can manually pull the upgrade. You have to ensure you have a WI-FI connection, then go to menu>settings>about phone> system updates. If the update is available you have the option to download immediately, automatically after a 30 second period, or you can defer the download to a more convenient time. So stay tuned and I hope this information proves helpful. If you have any questions, I'm here to back you up! ^Althena, USCC Social Team"

Thank you Mr Gates!  Now can I have my refund for not using Windows?!

Snodrog742, I saw in a post yesterday that you said:

However, the Electrify M really is great even without root. This is the first Android device that I really have had no desire to root or even freeze stock applications. With that though, root is still available with some simple steps that I could help you with even.

IS there a root method for the EM with JB yet? :-!::)

I wish I could figure out how to remove unwanted quotes like that... argh!! Every time I try I end up with another quote...

Edited by dBuster