UPEngineer

JB Update - Experiences - Opinions

Thanks all. BTW in case someone else get's caught in this trap: I was preparing for the update by making sure I had everything backed up, and I had assumed that, of course, all my contacts were perfectly synced to my Gmail account. I go in to check and to my horror, only 2 of my contacts on my phone are in there. Only after almost an hour of hunting did I find/realize that importing from a non-Android phone creates entries that cannot sync and cannot easily be converted into legit Android contacts. The common cure suggested is to backup your contacts and then restore to the phone. This did not work for me. In the end I had to export the contacts, email them to my account, import them from there and sync. This produced duplicates of each account in the phone (one Android, one not) fortunately you can then merge them... one at a time....

Alternatively, when in your contacts you should be able to go to settings and disable displaying phone contacts, and set contacts to save to Google by default. Faster and cleaner after importing.

Sent from my rooted XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Alternatively, when in your contacts you should be able to go to settings and disable displaying phone contacts, and set contacts to save to Google by default. Faster and cleaner after importing.

JadeFalcon, are you upgraded already? Do you have a root solution for JB 4.1.2 yet? :blink:

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by dBuster

They released the same version we tested.  My wife's phone is downloading it now.

Wahoo! So it appears they let it loose a little bit earlier than planned. :D

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Seen my option for jb now. Doing a cw backup now and waiting for info from rooted users, to see if they kept root. Seems from research ota root keeper is like flipping a coin. Please post if root kept, as my hero was a pita after it got its ota. I didn't have a cw recovery either then though.

i have downloaded the update and it failed to install, only thing i can figure is that my bootloader is unlocked?

just to confirm i have reset back to factory - downloaded the update again - during the install i get the android with the red triangle - 

Okay I can tell you this, if you look at the speedtest results I am including screen shot of you will see.  To me my opinion, I think it has improved 4G...  But that is me.

As far as tight lipped goes, I reached out to a few others who are testing also and asked for input as to a JB update tip thread possibly to let everyone know what to keep an eye out for what might be different, etc...  Look for that later today.

But for now the screen shot!  If you notice the results above the word Jelly Bean and compare to those below Ice Cream Sandwich...  Taken from the same location just different times of the day.  If that matters or not I do not know yet.

I haven't seen the difference you have in 4G speeds, early mornings at home I have got around 35Mbps with ICS and JB.  At work, in a steel building, there are times when I still can't get 4G when the building is right under the tower and a guy I work with has the same issue with a USCC GS3

I just shut off my wifi I noticed it was doing the damn download. Is there a way to keep your phone from doing the update?

It's a steel building.

The signal isn't reliable - I too work in a steel building and 4G is strong as he'll in some spots, nonexistent in others that are 20 feet away.

Just the way through signal is.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Thanks moderators for merging. Was sort of hoping to retain the title from the other thread but this works...

Regards to not wanting to do the update, turn off your wifi for now and I will see if I can get an answer for you from the test group.

Edited by dBuster

Thanks moderators for merging. Was sort of hoping to retain the title from the other thread but this works... Regards to not wanting to do the update, turn off your wifi for now and I will see if I can get an answer for you from the test group. Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks man.....

Thanks moderators for merging. Was sort of hoping to retain the title from the other thread but this works...

Regards to not wanting to do the update, turn off your wifi for now and I will see if I can get an answer for you from the test group.

I was kinda hoping to keep them seperate, but this is fine I guess.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HDI was kinda hoping to keep them seperate, but this is fine I guess.

If they were kept separate we would end up with double posts as that was already occurring... I to kind of liked the way the other one was with our findings the first post but one thread is better than two. I know that write up of mine will get buried and barely read but it is still there and people can read the whole thread to see it.

I'm not finding the Direct Dial option that was discussed earlier in the thread. Is it because I'm using Go Launcher and not stock launcher?

Also, noticing MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, a wallpaper switcher that changes your wallpaper with pics from any folder on your phone you identify, isn't working after the update. Really disappointing, I love having my wallpaper rotate every 10 minutes with different pictures of my boys.

Edited by pistolpetefan23

i have downloaded the update and it failed to install, only thing i can figure is that my bootloader is unlocked?

You will need to do sbf flash.  CWM kept failing on me

JadeFalcon, are you upgraded already? Do you have a root solution for JB 4.1.2 yet? :blink:

No, but that option has been standard since at least gingerbread. I can't imagine it would be removed in JB...

I've just been in that situation before after moving to Android for the first time. I found it was best to just save to google after sorting out the import. That way when I upgrade in the future (or do any flashing) I don't worry about lost contacts.

thanks for the reply - i hate to sound so "new" but can you give just a bit more detail? 

thx in advance 

thanks for the reply - i hate to sound so "new" but can you give just a bit more detail? 

thx in advance 

can i put the SBF file on the sd card and run from there?