UPEngineer

JB Update - Experiences - Opinions

I wanted to run the update while still rooted so I could report back here with an answer for those waiting.

I proceeded with the update, it booted into CWM recovery and asked if I wanted to install an untrusted zip. Here is what I'm prompted with:

CWM-based Recover v6.0.1.4Finding update package...Opening update package...Verifying update package...E:failed to verify whole-file signatureE:signature verification failedInstallation aborted

Once I click reboot system now the phone powers on, but after twenty seconds or so it powers down, attempting to install the file again. I'm essentially stuck in a boot loop now. 

I'm unfamiliar with the SBF file installation that's being referenced. Does anyone have any advice/guides that I could reference?

I would suggest that those whom are rooted DON'T run the update until we get this figured out unless I'm just one of the "lucky" few who are blessed with this issue :/

EDIT 1:

If you get stuck into the boot loop, just wipe your cache partitions and when the phone powers back on it'll tell you the update failed. I'll edit again once I have some progress.

Edited by Twidget

I'm not finding the Direct Dial option that was discussed earlier in the thread. Is it because I'm using Go Launcher and not stock launcher?

Also, noticing MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, a wallpaper switcher that changes your wallpaper with pics from any folder on your phone you identify, isn't working after the update. Really disappointing, I love having my wallpaper rotate every 10 minutes with different pictures of my boys.

Are you sure that the multipicture app is JB compatible? Also with you running go launcher is it still compatible?

Direct dial is a widget so unless go launcher isnt compatible with the stock widgets it should be there. Can you get to the widgets from the apps list with go launcher? I cant remember from when I used go launcher.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by dBuster

Thanks moderators for merging. Was sort of hoping to retain the title from the other thread but this works... Regards to not wanting to do the update, turn off your wifi for now and I will see if I can get an answer for you from the test group. Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks man.....

I have yet to hear back from the moto crew... will post as soon as I do....

Since I did a fresh nandroid and titanium backup I messed with it. If you wipe your delvik cache it will attempt the update. After it optimizes apps and boots to home it will restart then fail. The only way I can see jb coming for those with Cw recovery is to flash the stock rom through sdk and reroot after the OTA takes. Think if you flash with rom manager the cw recovery will still be there to fail the install.

Edited by slyedog

Got the update around 6pm. Will update in a few. I'm a stock user so my experience may be boring to others.

**update

Not bad. Basically its crispy, smoother and looks different. Everything working thus far.

Edited by simple _1

I'm not finding the Direct Dial option that was discussed earlier in the thread. Is it because I'm using Go Launcher and not stock launcher?

Also, noticing MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, a wallpaper switcher that changes your wallpaper with pics from any folder on your phone you identify, isn't working after the update. Really disappointing, I love having my wallpaper rotate every 10 minutes with different pictures of my boys.

Are you sure that the multipicture app is JB compatible? Also with you running go launcher is it still compatible?

Direct dial is a widget so unless go launcher isnt compatible with the stock widgets it should be there. Can you get to the widgets from the apps list with go launcher? I cant remember from when I used go launcher.

The wallpaper switcher appears to be compatible with JB from other comments in the Play Store. It worked just fine with Go Launcher previously.

All the other stock widgets are there when I tap and hold homescreen to add elements. Direct Dial does not show up though. I'll try switching back to stock launcher and see if it changes anything though.

Ok, so found Direct Dial as a Widget on stock launcher. Doesn't show up in Go Launcher for some reason though. I thought perhaps it was because I had disabled SmartActions, Vehicle Mode, and Circles. I enabled all of them and it's still now showing however. 

The wallpaper switcher appears to be compatible with JB from other comments in the Play Store. It worked just fine with Go Launcher previously.

All the other stock widgets are there when I tap and hold homescreen to add elements. Direct Dial does not show up though. I'll try switching back to stock launcher and see if it changes anything though.

When you go back to stock launcher go to the apps and then swipe from right to left to get to the widgets... strange how it isn't there with go launcher. Maybe go has their own quick dial app?

Also if you go back to the stock launcher try that wallpaper app as well to see if it works.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, so found Direct Dial as a Widget on stock launcher. Doesn't show up in Go Launcher for some reason though. I thought perhaps it was because I had disabled SmartActions, Vehicle Mode, and Circles. I enabled all of them and it's still now showing however. 

Talk about posting at the same time...

The apps you disabled should still be able to be disabled with stock launcher and have the direct dialog there. Let us know.

It's a steel building. The signal isn't reliable - I too work in a steel building and 4G is strong as he'll in some spots, nonexistent in others that are 20 feet away. Just the way through signal is. Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

It is weird though, we would have dropped calls on the V3C years ago in the same part of the building but the original Electrify would show all bars on 3G and never have a problem with a dropped call.  Haven't seen what the boss's E2 shows for 3G signal yet.  If I get a chance i might just power off the CNC machines to see if the VFD's aren't causing interference, need to reboot the PC's every couple weeks anyhow

That could be a change brought on by the version jelly Bean itself. I will post a question to the Motorola testers regarding this.

Why can't I disable my text message app now?

Duplicate post!

I will ask the Motorola testers for you. This could be a change that is a normal part of jelly bean itself

***** UPDATE ****** 

I have made the post over at Motorola not only in the private testers area but also in the open public area.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/688100e92b

Edited by dBuster

I forgot to put this in my long write up I did from our testing experiences so here it goes.

Netflix and other steaming video apps work with this release and we have SOUND! Unlike the nightmare with the Samsung S3 jelly Bean update and no sound...

Edited by dBuster

Alrighty...  

In regards to those wanting to put off the upgrade.  I apologize for this answer taking so long but it appears you can put off the update/upgrade.  When you are prompted for the update/upgrade you can say later to the installation and possibly the download as well.  It is being confirmed regarding putting off the download portion.

The response regarding disabling the stock text messaging or SMS app is being put back on Jelly Bean that it was never a function of Jelly Bean.  I am thinking that disabling it was a Motorola feature with ICS and the Motorola UI.  So why take it away when going to JB...  Will be interesting to hear that answer...

I know that with ICS when you disabled the SMS app that if you had a third party app it would then takes its place on the lock screen as the default SMS app.  Was that the reason for wanting to disable it now?  If it is can someone with a third party SMS app test something for me, go to settings -> applications then find your third party app and see if you can change the default on it to be the default SMS app for the phone. If you can then check to see if it takes its rightful place on the lock screen.  Please and thank you.

***** UPDATE *****

Looks like they are working on this ability to disable the stock SMS app.  However disabling the SMS breaks the phones MMS ability so it might get turned into a bug report for them...

Edited by dBuster

Well this update didn't cure any kind of data connection issues. Actually seems like it made it a little bit worse!

That is interesting as in my opinion it seems better for me.

What are you using to test this?  Or what are you basing that statement on?  

Using Axiom or Electrify M?  Your profile says Axiom... 

Edited by dBuster

I would bet crimpshine is talking about the absence of data when it switches between 4G and 3G. I never noticed any delays when switching from 1x to 3G and its probably because 1x and 3G are CDMA tech and our 4G is GSM and why we need a SIM card

I'll live with the annoyance of having SpeedDial gratuitously removed (what would it have hurt to just leave it there for those of us who use it?). Stacking DirectDials is an inelegant substitute. In what I assume is a an attempt to herd the sheep to Google Currents & Google+ the no-frills Weather & News widget was dumped...fortunately just Google GenieWidget and you can have this back if you like, the only difference is the widget is 4x1 instead of 3x1. You can also find heavily modified and skinned versions if that's your thing.