spooky_pitboss

Samsung Galaxy S III vs Motorola Electrify M - Which easier to root??

For the anti-moto people there have been huge changes at moto since Google took over. I had a bionic with Verizon until Friday when I came back to USC. Moto has undergone huge changes. Sadly at the moment they still lockdown boatloaders, but thats because old moto agreed to and they are still required to honor those contracts.

I went with a GSIII for the unlock boatloader and removable battery. Camera was also part of that decision. Rooting was a breeze.

Sent from my SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

spooky_pitboss: Are you on a Belief plan? You can buy upgrade accelerators for 1,300 points each. I never use my points, so I had the 7,800 points necessary to take 6 months off my upgrade cycle. I was not due for an upgrade until August, but I just got the S3. Check your balance, you may be able to get a phone sooner than you thought. (Don't use the points for anything else. Everything else is horribly overpriced, you can get it for half or less on Amazon.) US Cellular is cool like that.

na7q is a little heavy on the Moto bashing, but it's understandable for anyone who got the first Electrify. It was the most powerful phone US Cellular had for a while, easily outclassing the HTC Hero S and the Galaxy S2. And while both of those got upgrades, the Electrify never got upgraded. Instead, Motorola just re-released it with ICS (and a new body) as "Electrify 2". Same RAM, same CPU, same screen, different firmware. And then they told everybody ICS wouldn't run on the Electrify. Basically screwed everyone over. So it's completely justified. If they had been honest about their upgrade plans in advance, i.e. warned customers buying it that it would never receive an upgrade, it wouldn't be so bad. But they attracted the power users, and quite frankly, cheated them. (And to the above poster, it was after, not before, but *after* the Google acquisition that Motorola decided to cheat its customers. In any case, the alleged changes don't mean a thing if they're not willing to do anything to right past wrongs. At the very least, they need to offer a bootloader unlock to the sunfire, and publish/open source all the drivers and libraries, so the custom ROMs can fully utilize the camera. At this point it really wouldn't make sense for them to upgrade every sunfire to 4.0.4 (or beyond) but they can release or even "leak" the files needed to do so. That would be a huge change in policy. As long as they're saying "Screw you guys, buy our next phone", they haven't changed a bit.

That said, I think the Electrify M looks like a nice phone. I would recommend it to someone who doesn't care about upgrades. It has gotten one upgrade (ICS to JB?) but Motorola is dead last in the Android world when it comes to supporting their customers. I almost got one. I told my wife for 2/3 of what I was going to pay for the S3, I could get two M's, but she's happy with the OG Electrify and says she will never root, unlock, or trade up as long as it continues to work. She won't even change the stock launcher. I told her another launcher would use less RAM than Blur, and offered to put Holo Launcher (my favorite GB launcher) up there, and replace all her icons and widgets... she didn't really give me an answer. I may do it anyway and see how she likes it. I kinda shepherded her into replacing the stock Blur keyboard with SwiftKey, and she went from "It's okay but I'm used to the ugly white one" to "This is really nice but I don't care for the slide typing". So now she's running the latest SK, with Flow disabled. So I am making progress. :) And I think, despite my reservations, my wife's next phone will be a Moto. And I'm okay with that. They have the best battery life and signal. So they are not all bad. It just depends on who you are and what you want out of a smartphone.

Edited by Dark Reality

Long time coming, but I FINALLY upgraded from my Galaxy Aviator S. The reason it took so long, is US Cellular changed their belief points terms, and I couldn't use my accumulated points, until just the other day. Anyways, I got the new Galaxy S4, and I already want to root it to get rid of that god forsaken "Daily Perks" crap, and other annoying adware. So far it's great, and runs really quickly as it came out of the box. I'll try it out for a few days to see if the GPS is as accurate as I hope, the battery life is good, and generally run it through what I usually will do on a day-to-day basis. If possible, I would gladly pay someone to remotely root the phone, just so I can delete all the junk, use a few root-only apps, and some other minor things.

Just so you know also, US Cellular (at least locally around here in WI) offer a $100 rebate for mailing in an old working android, if you buy an S3, S4, or Galaxy Note if I remember correctly. So I paid $199+tax out of pocket today, but get $100 back in 2-4 weeks. Thought I would pass it along, as it seems recent that US Cellular had this deal.

Thanks for all the info!

Long time coming, but I FINALLY upgraded from my Galaxy Aviator S. The reason it took so long, is US Cellular changed their belief points terms, and I couldn't use my accumulated points, until just the other day. Anyways, I got the new Galaxy S4, and I already want to root it to get rid of that god forsaken "Daily Perks" crap, and other annoying adware. So far it's great, and runs really quickly as it came out of the box. I'll try it out for a few days to see if the GPS is as accurate as I hope, the battery life is good, and generally run it through what I usually will do on a day-to-day basis. If possible, I would gladly pay someone to remotely root the phone, just so I can delete all the junk, use a few root-only apps, and some other minor things.

Just so you know also, US Cellular (at least locally around here in WI) offer a $100 rebate for mailing in an old working android, if you buy an S3, S4, or Galaxy Note if I remember correctly. So I paid $199+tax out of pocket today, but get $100 back in 2-4 weeks. Thought I would pass it along, as it seems recent that US Cellular had this deal.

Thanks for all the info!

Have you gone in and tried to disable those apps? Without root you can still disable unless that was taken away with the S4...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Holy crap, didn't even notice you can do that. I'm so used to having junk that I don't want run all the time, like all my previous androids. Thanks for the info, I feel dumb now lol.

Didn't see the "Daily Perks" and some other adware that displays spam every couple of hours in the application manager though, is there some workaround to stop that?

Holy crap, didn't even notice you can do that. I'm so used to having junk that I don't want run all the time, like all my previous androids. Thanks for the info, I feel dumb now lol.

Didn't see the "Daily Perks" and some other adware that displays spam every couple of hours in the application manager though, is there some workaround to stop that?

I don't know what that app is, but if it shows up in the notification shade you can long hold on the notification until "app info" comes up. Tap that and disable from there.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta