spooky_pitboss

Samsung Galaxy S III vs Motorola Electrify M - Which easier to root??

Hi, I was just wondering which of the two phones, the Galaxy S III and the Motorola Electrify M, which is easier to root? I'm due for US Cellular's promotional price in a few months, and wanted to know which would be easier. I had a friend on these forums remotely root my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S Aviator, and the process was way over my head. I was wondering if either of the other phones will be easier? The reason i want to root is to delete all the stock apps and get rid of a lot of the ads and such. I've only had rooted android phones in the past, and never got farther than that as far as installing custom roms because I was afraid of ruining the phone, or having problems in the future I wouldn't know how to correct. Thanks for the info!

Also, with either the Galaxy S II, and the Electrify M, will either work with a one-click-root? I vaguely remember a previous android I had worked with Z4root and superoneclick root.

I thought the s3 was super easy to root compared to my merge that had to run adb commands.

There is a toolkit that walks you through rooting the s3 . not one click, but has good instructions that were easy to follow.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

ALL SAMSUNG DEVICES ARE RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WANTING ROOT :P

Samsung doesn't lock their phones down like pathetic lying Moto does. Go with Samsung. You'll ALWAYS be able to root. Regardless of updates and anything else that comes along. It's a breeeeeeeeeeeze to root any Sammy. Never the case with Moto. So keep that in mind. :D

ALL SAMSUNG DEVICES ARE RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WANTING ROOT :P

Samsung doesn't lock their phones down like pathetic lying Moto does. Go with Samsung. You'll ALWAYS be able to root. Regardless of updates and anything else that comes along. It's a breeeeeeeeeeeze to root any Sammy. Never the case with Moto. So keep that in mind. :D

Good info, I appreciate it!

My SIII was super easy from what I can remember and I had the first electrify (not the M) and it was a lot if work! The bootloader was the worst but rooting wasn't as difficult. The bootloader probably wouldn't matter for you if you don't want to install a custom Rom.

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Edited by turntables88

Having both an S3 and an Electrify M (EM) I can say rooting, hands down the S3.

HOWEVER, with the Electrify M you can disable apps without the need to have root access! I have tons of bloatware and other apps disabled and I am not rooted. Especially not rooted running the new stock jelly bean release. I took part in testing the EM.

Battery life I would say the EM without a doubt. I went one day all day and I was only down to 72% on the EM where as with the S3 a same typical day I would be down around 40% on the battery...

To root or not to root I guess is the question. Are you going to run special roms or wanting to run them then I would say the S3... staying stock, and I thought I wouldn't ever say this but I am getting used to and liking the EM... screen realestate is the only draw now for me to the S3...

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

S3 is still better cause you can get battery swaps and never have to worry about rooting ;) also you CAN disable pre-installed bloatware on the S3. 

As I've said to many others. If you want updates, don't go with Moto. You will NOT receive any updates in a timely manner or on schedule. I would recommend to everyone that you abandon Moto like half of their customers already have when Moto abandoned us. :)

#MOTONOMORE #MOTOFAIL #TROLOLOL

Having both an S3 and an Electrify M (EM) I can say rooting, hands down the S3. HOWEVER, with the Electrify M you can disable apps without the need to have root access! I have tons of bloatware and other apps disabled and I am not rooted. Especially not rooted running the new stock jelly bean release. I took part in testing the EM. Battery life I would say the EM without a doubt. I went one day all day and I was only down to 72% on the EM where as with the S3 a same typical day I would be down around 40% on the battery... To root or not to root I guess is the question. Are you going to run special roms or wanting to run them then I would say the S3... staying stock, and I thought I wouldn't ever say this but I am getting used to and liking the EM... screen realestate is the only draw now for me to the S3... Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

How do you delete apps like that, without root? I thought you have to do it through Titanium backup and delete them. I know thats how it was on my current Samsung Galaxy S Aviator, finally got rid of the stupid "Daily Perks" crap, and other things I don't want running all the time.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming, it's appreciated!

S3 is still better cause you can get battery swaps and never have to worry about rooting ;) also you CAN disable pre-installed bloatware on the S3. 

As I've said to many others. If you want updates, don't go with Moto. You will NOT receive any updates in a timely manner or on schedule. I would recommend to everyone that you abandon Moto like half of their customers already have when Moto abandoned us. :)

#MOTONOMORE #MOTOFAIL #TROLOLOL

Someone is ANTI Motorola!

Regarding the disabling of preinstalled bloatware on the S3, can you do that WITHOUT root?  I was never able to without root access on my S3.  You can disable on the EM without root...

Battery swap, with the battery life I am getting there would be no need to swap battery.  Actually that might be the only bad thing about the EM is the lack of a removable battery.  But the EM can take splashes of water and keep on going without having some wetsuit for it.  Put the EM next to a S3 bare no skins or wetsuits or cases and see who can take what.

Sorry I love my S3 as well as my EM.  It is a toss up.  But to straight out bash one or the other is childish...  Point someone to the articles and let them form their own opinions and not have your opinions forced upon them.

Having both an S3 and an Electrify M (EM) I can say rooting, hands down the S3. HOWEVER, with the Electrify M you can disable apps without the need to have root access! I have tons of bloatware and other apps disabled and I am not rooted. Especially not rooted running the new stock jelly bean release. I took part in testing the EM. Battery life I would say the EM without a doubt. I went one day all day and I was only down to 72% on the EM where as with the S3 a same typical day I would be down around 40% on the battery... To root or not to root I guess is the question. Are you going to run special roms or wanting to run them then I would say the S3... staying stock, and I thought I wouldn't ever say this but I am getting used to and liking the EM... screen realestate is the only draw now for me to the S3... Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

How do you delete apps like that, without root? I thought you have to do it through Titanium backup and delete them. I know thats how it was on my current Samsung Galaxy S Aviator, finally got rid of the stupid "Daily Perks" crap, and other things I don't want running all the time.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming, it's appreciated!

You don't delete them.  Actually Titanium backup can delete them which you may find yourself at some point or another wanting or needing those files back for one reason or another, or Titanium backup can FREEZE those apps which stops them from running, removes them I believe from the apps screen and basically leaves them disabled.

With the EM you go to apps and when you swipe over to ALL apps you can open up each app like you would force stop them and in that screen there is an option to DISABLE or as Titanium backup would, Freeze the app.  Takes it out of the apps list and keeps it from running.  I am attaching a screen shot showing my apps disabled on my EM as well as where you would find the ability to disable.  I have yet to see that disable ability on stock Samsung devices and we have three of them, a mesmerize, S3 and Tab2.

In addition, rooting your device voids warranty.  With the EM you don't void warranty as you don't have to root.  So back to the old, if your going to ROM then you would want the S3...  Otherwise it is a horse a piece.  Get your hands on each and give them some hands on time to see which you prefer.  Check out these screen shots...

post-4419-0-37675300-1360636179_thumb.pn

post-4419-0-70444800-1360636191_thumb.pn

Edited by dBuster

Yes I am ANTI MOTO after the bull crap they keep pulling. All they want to do is lie and tell me that I don't own a phone if I bought it. Along with much much more. You CAN remove bloatware without root of course!

I was referring to the internal battery with the swapping. Batteries don't last too long with all the charges we do these days. :/ better than way back in the day though, that's for sure.

Rooting may void your warranty but it's more than easy to unroot. I mean EASY as sippin' on lemonade. Whoever worries about that shouldn't even been touching their phone haha.

Works like this. If you don't want: replaceable batteries, bigger screens, better cameras, updates, root, ROMs, unlocked bootloaders, mods, themes, customization in general or any freedom, then Moto is for you! If you do want all these things then Samsung is for you!

#BOYCOTTMOTO #KILLMOTO #TROLOLOL

Thanks for the info, kind of a general question about custom ROMs. Once you load a ROM to, let's say a Galaxy S III, can the phone still get updates? Do pretty much all the apps I download on the market, still work under a custom rom? Any compatibility  issues with apps or anything?

Yes you can still get updates. We post the updates here in the development thread when they come out. So you can flash them through a custom recovery in the same way you would root! You won't miss out on updates that's for sure. While the stock ROM will say your device is modified and can't update, that is only true in the sense that you can't get it from over the air! :)

If you stay on stock ROMs then everything will be exactly the same in terms of compatibility and issues that you had before on the original stock ROM. 

If you do an AOSP ROM there could be a few bugs (depends on the ROM) but 99.9% of everything that worked on stock will work on AOSP (minus Samsung apps of course, but that's how it is with any phone and switching to AOSP ROMs). So you really have nothing to worry about! :)

I'm sure others here can tell you the same!

I went with the S2 over the EM because of the removable battery and developer support, couldn't be happier... I imagine the S3 kicks major butt...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info, kind of a general question about custom ROMs. Once you load a ROM to, let's say a Galaxy S III, can the phone still get updates? Do pretty much all the apps I download on the market, still work under a custom rom? Any compatibility  issues with apps or anything?

Best bet to find those answers would be to search the forums and read up on Rooting and ROMs.  One thing I have read, updates to the operating system or ROM that your installing has to be manually done by you each time you want to get the ROM updated.  Whereas if you leave yourself stock you can still get the updates OTA (over the air - I believe).  Been a long day...  

Regarding unrooting and getting warranty work... there have been times where some have done just that and yet there were traces of the device being rooted and a different ROM applied and they were denied warranty work and had to pay for it...  

I will give the removable battery a plus.  However if I can go two days, 47 hours, with the EM, without getting down to 10% to where I would have to plug it in, which running your battery down like that is actually better for the battery.  With the S3 I would get max 28 hours before getting to that 10% point.  Sure you can charge it each night but if you don't run the battery down like that you are shortening the life of the battery and thus would require a battery swap.

I am sorry your getting the comments from someone who clearly has it in for a manufacturer.  Personally it is a choice of yours.  Bashing like that has no place in the forums in my opinion...  

I am tired of trying to point out the good and bad as it will only be bashed by one other member.  I just hope that you keep in mind that it is your decision and your decision only. I am not going to be using your phone nor is anyone else but you.  

Good luck and happy reading!

Best bet to find those answers would be to search the forums and read up on Rooting and ROMs.  One thing I have read, updates to the operating system or ROM that your installing has to be manually done by you each time you want to get the ROM updated.  Whereas if you leave yourself stock you can still get the updates OTA (over the air - I believe).  Been a long day...  

Regarding unrooting and getting warranty work... there have been times where some have done just that and yet there were traces of the device being rooted and a different ROM applied and they were denied warranty work and had to pay for it...  

I will give the removable battery a plus.  However if I can go two days, 47 hours, with the EM, without getting down to 10% to where I would have to plug it in, which running your battery down like that is actually better for the battery.  With the S3 I would get max 28 hours before getting to that 10% point.  Sure you can charge it each night but if you don't run the battery down like that you are shortening the life of the battery and thus would require a battery swap.

I am sorry your getting the comments from someone who clearly has it in for a manufacturer.  Personally it is a choice of yours.  Bashing like that has no place in the forums in my opinion...  

I am tired of trying to point out the good and bad as it will only be bashed by one other member.  I just hope that you keep in mind that it is your decision and your decision only. I am not going to be using your phone nor is anyone else but you.  

Good luck and happy reading!

I appreciate your help, especially when it comes to battery life. My Samsung Aviator S is horrible with battery life, which is a definite reason to go to the EM. Either way, it'll be a few months before I can get promotional pricing at US Cellular, so i'll have to wait.

I apologize for the Motorola bashing as well.  Having owned both the Electrify M as well as the S3, I can absolutely say that S3 is easier to root.  That is only because there is tons more support as it is a very hot device.

However, the Electrify M really is great even without root.  This is the first Android device that I really have had no desire to root or even freeze stock applications.  With that though, root is still available with some simple steps that I could help you with even.  

I understand most worship Samsung here but I think both devices are pretty spectacular.  I never thought I would go back to a smaller screen but the reception + battery life have kept me on the EM.  We can each preach different devices and pros/cons but it truly is personal preference.  I've tried both and love them both but still have stuck with the EM

Thanks again for the info, still torn between the two phones. Wish I didn't have to wait so long to get a new phone!

Also, thanks again Adam for rooting my phone for me a while back. Still running good!

I thought Motorola had released a root software. It seems like I saw something about it when I was looking to an original electrify. I am about to get an electrify M but can't find anything more about that software. Again, it came directly from Motorola does anybody know anything about it?

i've never heard of such a thing. you should get a note 2 :P or s3. haha. then you can at least keep your warranty intact. once you unlock your bootloader you're done for good. you lose your warranty and can't get it back. at that point you can root easily though.

I thought Motorola had released a root software. It seems like I saw something about it when I was looking to an original electrify. I am about to get an electrify M but can't find anything more about that software. Again, it came directly from Motorola does anybody know anything about it?

Personally go over to the Electrify M forums and check out what is there.  

You can get to those Electrify M forums from :  http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/forum/319-motorola-electrify-m/  - There are discussions ranging from the software I believe you are looking for to also include discussions on the recent update/upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1.2...    Check them out.  Or go check out the Samsung offerings mentioned earlier...