uscellular

How to Root the M for dummies. Works for Jellybean!

Hi, I could use a hand. I tried this. All was well till I executed the program in CMD. It starts to flash but then it says preflash Validation failed, then under it it says (Failed) Remote failure. Then it says finished with a time.

My problem now is the phone keeps booting to the loader saying Flash Failed on the bottom. I have to hold the buttons and boot it in normal powerup each time. From there it works.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to remedy this?

Thank you.

I need an md5 for the downloads to check them--I have a tendency to get corrupt downloads and wouldn''t want one to become my new OS. Thanks!

I'm having difficulty getting my Electrify M to boot into fastboot mode.

I've powered down my phone, then held all three buttons, and it will just stay off until I release the buttons.  Then it boots normally.

I try just holding the power and volume down buttons and I get the same thing, stays black until I release.  Then it boots normally.

I can hold the buttons for minutes and nothing pops up on the screen signifying I'm in fastboot mode.

Frustrating!

Next your gonna need a few files. It's best to put all the files in the same spot. The easiest would be naming a folder "Root" in your hard drive. Note the fastboots file has to be extracted 1st!

Extract it into the Root folder, do not extract it into a folder of it's own. Make sure the fastboot file and the adpwinapi.dll file are both in the root folder, or it won't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having difficulty getting my Electrify M to boot into fastboot mode.

I've powered down my phone, then held all three buttons, and it will just stay off until I release the buttons. Then it boots normally.

I try just holding the power and volume down buttons and I get the same thing, stays black until I release. Then it boots normally.

I can hold the buttons for minutes and nothing pops up on the screen signifying I'm in fastboot mode.

Frustrating!

I have to ask, you are connected to your computer with the files indicated in the first post and have them setup as recommended in that first post?

Recommendation would also be to try and pm the author of that first post or see if they are in the chat area...

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by dBuster

Thanks! Works for me.

I just wanted to provide minor details while tinkering. As I had to designate more than 3 hours!!! to figure out even this "for dummies" ! :-)

1. The first tip has to do with Motorola web site to get unlocked bootloader.

As you go thru their step by step process, some of the paths are confusing or incorrect. In my case, I selected Windows x86 version of ADT for windows 7, 32bit.

You will have to navigate in command promt to [your hard drive i.e. C]:\users\[your user name]\adt-bundle-[whatever version]\sdk\platform-tools

and then execute commands without the “$” such as “fastboot blablabla” and not “$ fastboot blablabla”.

* So the guide at the Motorola web site is slightly misleading. I went here to get a detailed instruction regarding SDK use, and right commands.

http://www.andromods.com/basic-how-to/how-to-guide-unlocking-bootloader-motorola-unlocking-tool-online.html

2. now to the flashing recovery part. when you do fastboot mode, you press all three buttons to power on.

However, make sure you disconnect USB cable first! or else you will reboot automatically.

When you see the white text, “immediately” press down button several times in a loop, and then as soon as you see the menu is selected on the “AP FASTBOOT”, “immediately” press Vol Up. Or else it will automatically “normal boot.” (trick is to continuously press down button, until you are ready! Don’t give up pressing Vol Down until your other finger is there on the Vol Up, and you found the AP FASTBOOT option.

Thanks again for your attention. I am a real noob. Trial and error made the day. and thanks for this dummy instruction! Works!

^ Thanks!!

Your instructions cleared everything up for me!  Now I'm unlocked.

Your right, those directions from Motorola are a little misleading.

i cant unlock my bootloader im new and i have down loaded all the programs and installed them in the right spots but my cmd wont let anything work

i cant unlock my bootloader im new and i have down loaded all the programs and installed them in the right spots but my cmd wont let anything work

And you have followed the guide to the T? The guide in the first post that is and the additional comments a few posts earlier should help you out.

How are you trying the cmd steps?

Have you already unlocked your bootloader? From reading that first post you have to have an unlocked bootloader prior to doing the cmd steps... the, I believe, very first link in that post is for unlocking your bootloader. That must be the first thing to do... before trying the cmd fast recovery to get root...

It isn't a perfect world! Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Hello,

I am a noob and have successfully unlocked my bootloader, loaded the twrp-recovery image to my phone, and have attempted to boot in recovery mode, but when it goes into recovery there is a picture of a droid on its back with the front panel open with a red triangle sign on its chest with an exclamation point in the middle of the sign. Then the image disappears after a couple of minutes and the phone reboots. What does it mean and what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Sounds like twrp isn't sticking, IMO.  How many times have you tried?  Persistence usually pays off from my experience.  I haven't unlocked mine so I've not tried this yet

Sounds like twrp isn't sticking, IMO.  How many times have you tried?  Persistence usually pays off from my experience.  I haven't unlocked mine so I've not tried this yet

Well, I have tried about 3 times with the same result. So I need to give it another shot? Thanks

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Have you jumped into the chat room to get Assistance? The experts hang out there and are willing to help just need to ask there. <br /><br />It isn't a perfect world! Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Just to let anyone know who might be interested, I received help from NA7Q in the chat. After flashing the recovery image I accidentally let my EM reboot b4 recovering the image. That's why I kept getting that "droid on its back" image. I had to go back and flash the image again and recover immediately. After that everything went great. Great thread & thanks again NA7Q.

electrify m fully updated as of today

installed twrp 2.2.2.1 from this thread and booted into twrp recovery and installed the update SuperSU v100 apk

rebooted phone and then SuperSU auto updated (did it both the "Normal" and the "TWRP/CWMR" ways) and if I power down phone and try and get back into TWRP it will fail

I get the green android on its side with the red triangle above it

bp-tools also does not work

ap-fastboot does work that is it

note:

after the superuser is installed and updated battery will not charge with usb into laptop or into wall charger

something seriously wrong here

It sounds like the TWRP recovery got over written by the stock recovery.  I would try booting into fastboot and reflash the recovery.  You can find an updated version (2.5.0.0) here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2302969

After that, if flashing the SuperSU zip doesn't work, maybe try the "MotoChopper" method described here:  http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/4229-new-root-method-for-jb-without-unlocking-works/

Hi,

i followed every step as described above. after falshing SU binary, i selected reboor system now then CWM recovery asked if i want to disable stock recovery flash?

i selected yes

now i am able to boot recovery even after rebooting my device. And SU is also installed in my device but still i cant have root excess. updated su binary also.

is there something wrong?

plz help

Ok now reflashed SU binary anow everything is working. Thanks

Edited by tarun2687

Need Help...have my Motorola Elec M unlocked, but not rooted yet. When I try to run the fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery.img I get error: cannot load 'twrp-recovery.img'. What am I missing? I have the zipped update-supersu-v100.zip on internal storage.

@mrrink - Is "twrp-recovery.img" the actual name of the file (as in the example)?  Or is it something more like "XT901-XT907-TWRP-2.6.3.0-recovery.img"?  Using the wrong file name would cause that error.

Is there any way you can re-up the downloadable files?

"TWRP Recovery Image (special program that runs outside of the normal Android OS).

http://www.filedropp...m/twrp-recovery

Fast Boot: (command line interface for flashing the recovery)

http://www.filedropper.com/fastboots

Root: (This installs root).

http://www.filedropp...te-supersu-v100"

Thanks...I would really appreciate it!