TheHackman

Galaxy S4

It is official!! U.S. Cellular will be carrying the newly announced Galaxy S4. They just announced it about an hour ago on their Facebook page. I thought I read "sometime in April", but I can't find for sure where I read that.

post-3801-0-97089600-1363311659_thumb.jp

I wanna know how the cdma version will differ from the gsm one.

That will determine whether I spend my money on it or not.

My prediction:

Quad core - NOT the 8 core

441ppi screen

Same as the S3 in every other department.

Meaning that this would quite literally be Sammys equivalent to the i5 - i4 upgrade. Also, that's assuming that it launches with 4.2.2 as advertised... The cdma variant will almost certainly be a disappointment.

Just enough to call it an upgrade, but still a day late and a dollar short.

I could be wrong. I doubt it, but maybe.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

New info:

Found the cdma specs

Looks like a 1.9ghz quad core (ha!)

The 8 core is 1.6ghz. We get the long hard shafts... Again

Bands:

2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz3G (HSPA+ 42Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz4G (LTE Cat 3 100/50Mbps) : up to 6 different band sets(Dependent on market)

And here's the source:

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2013/03/15/Samsung-Introduces-the-GALAXY-S-4----A-Life-Companion-for-a-richer,-simpler-and-fuller-life?sf10482753=1

Good! I really want a new phone. I'm actually kinda glad we don't have the 8 core because of the switching back and forth between the 2 sets of cores may not always work well. Thanks for putting this on here I scrolled right over the usc post on Facebook by accident

Samsung GALAXY S 4 will be available from Q2 globally including US, partnering with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, as well as US Cellular and Cricket. In Europe, Samsung GALAXY S 4 is partnering with global mobile operators such as Deutsche Telecom, EE, H3G, Orange, Telenor, Telia Sonera, Telefonica, and Vodafone.

I assume this means that we should get it just as fast as any carrier. I think I'm going to get it on the release date and get rid of this crappy excuse of a phone (Aviator)

Just enough to call it an upgrade, but still a day late and a dollar short.

Yep.  The next big thing already dropped.  Last year.

Edited by Slappy White

New info:

Found the cdma specs

Bands:

2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz3G (HSPA+ 42Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz4G (LTE Cat 3 100/50Mbps) : up to 6 different band sets(Dependent on market)

And here's the source:

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2013/03/15/Samsung-Introduces-the-GALAXY-S-4----A-Life-Companion-for-a-richer,-simpler-and-fuller-life?sf10482753=1

I cannot imagine why anybody would need anything more powerful than a quad-core processor in a phone anyway. With the dual-core in the GS3, I detect a little bit of lag when flipping through screens, but it certainly isn't an inconvenience. Unfortunately I'm not really a phone power-user. I seldom play games on my phone. I normally just listen to music and use a few productivity apps, in addition to social networking. However, I have detected some lag when launching the camera. None of the delays have been earth-shattering.

Our account will be eligible for an upgrade on one of the lines in the next month or so. I think I'm gong to ask my wife if she'll take my S3. It is only 3 months old, in perfect condition. Yeah, I know that sounds crappy, but it will be better than her Hero S by far!

I'm not saying we need, or even Potentially need an 8core monster.

It's the idea that there's always the advertised device, the badass specs, the high hopes... Then there's the US version. The pathetic beaten step child of the REAL device.

Idk, maybe I'm just sore that we always get the leftover parts, the "yesterday's news" as it were...

For once I'd like to hear about the "great new device" and have the specs be unchanged for the US.

Namaste

New info:

Found the cdma specs

Bands:

And here's the source:

Its my understanding the only model that will be sporting the octa core is the international model, so the 1.9gz is what everyone I the states will be sporting. Also it has been reported on various sites and sources that the S3 will be rereleased with a quad core 1.5 Gz Quad Core Processor with a 1080p screen as well

It was so predictable that HTC would destroy an absolutely wonderful phone with it new redesigned Sense 5 overlay UI being displayed on the New HTC One, alot of sites who are demoing (yeah I know, no such word) the phone have reported hating the new blinkfeed.

But all in all I am down for 1080p Full HD and 13 megapixel goodness just to name a few, although I may end up on the international version on a straight talk sim zooming on HSPA anyway.

As cool of a phone as this is going to be, I think I will wait a bit. I am still having a lot of fun and excitement with the s3. The "newness" still hasn't worn off for me really. Then again, we are used to just getting something like the s3 now...a year late, Lol! I will probably wait until they start their heavy promos for it. There is nothing like waiting for a rebate while others are enjoying an even cheaper price with in store rebates. I think I can learn my lesson on that one. Proly will be 99-150 by end of summer anyway which will be great:D

Plus I think a lot of the features will be able to be adapted to the s3. One of the articles said it best when the called it the SIIIs.

Edited by Shelby04861

Its not a bad phone. I had the s3 now been on note two. But don't feel I will get the s4. I think I'm gonna wait for note 3. To hopefully get the octa core and maybe or ram and watnot. N the need if octa is not about speed. Its to use low power when on texting or calls or Facebook. But have the big power of high end cores for big games or multiple programs and so on. I will admit I was a lil disappointed in the s4. Maybe its just me.

What leaps and bounds were you guys expecting? Phone updates will become more iterative as time goes on, the s3 is the first phone I've had that is just fast enough.

This is still a move forward isn't it? We won't get the htc one, so... This will be a great phone on uscc

Not leaps. But maybe an octa core..better ram...better video card..great battery..and watnot. I mean a big chunk of the s4 is gonna be setup on s3. BC its a lot of software. I mean it does have some great things on it. As in 1080p. Better quad core. And lil better video card.

Not leaps. But maybe an octa core..better ram...better video card..great battery..and watnot. I mean a big chunk of the s4 is gonna be setup on s3. BC its a lot of software. I mean it does have some great things on it. As in 1080p. Better quad core. And lil better video card.

Still a better step forward than the iphone makes each year  :ph34r: 

My personal opinion is the minimized bezel, larger battery and higher res screen will be enough of a step up to sell like crazy again. The X phone is intriguing simply due to the secrecy, the One looks nice but I dislike HTC from past experience. The big advance will happen next year with the flexible/wraparound displays. The S4 will be more powerful than the Note 2 with nearly double the pixel density (ppi) so that's enough for me. For now, so long as they put the Note 2's antenna in the S4.

I do agree some. Still undecided if I will get it or not. I have gotten a new phone about 4-6 months apart so I may try it out till note 3 is out. I was just hoping for something big inside it I guess. But "can't always get wat u want"......right

Im getting two... my wife already wants one.  She saw the spare battery accessory and the health band and she was sold.  Now i have to find a buyer for my note 2. LOL

let's not kid ourselves, we will all be taking the plunge when launch date arives, at least I will! There is enough here to make me happy and this is one of the few vises I actually still vet to enjoy!!!

I'm hoping for pre orders just like the GS3.Should we expect the accessories to be on sale before the phone? <br /><br />Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

This is NOT good news for me

http://www.androidcentral.com/cm-developers-passing-samsung-galaxy-s4-should-you

If you dont want to click the link or dont understand what this means, it is likely we will get no roms whatsoever for our s4 but even if we do they probably wont work enough to use.

Edit: if link doesnt work copy to browser search bar. I am on my phone so cant test it sorry

Edited by theshadow

Link's fine.

I'm so glad I had already resolved to not get an S4. This certainly would have been a dealbreaker for me.

I wish Sapplesung would get their head out of their butt and stop going down this road of closed source lockdown. They make some great devices, but I may be switching brands next upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-R530U

Edited by BorNX

Idk... I have grown to like Stock - with root more so than any rom.

I've flashed nearly every rom for the S3, just to test drive, but I always return to normal.

I like roms, and countless others do too, but to me, in my individual circumstances, I wouldn't need CM.

Namaste