ssego

Rooting the Galaxy Axiom after the 4.1.2 update

Axiom 4.1.2 Root & Custom Recovery (CWM)

This guide will help those unable to install CWM on their Galaxy Axioms after the recent OTA update to 4.1.2.  This is the same method used for the GS3 so it's nothing I came up with, just adapted to work on the Axiom.  The issue is that the JB bootchain will not allow you to flash the custom recovery, so we'll downgrade to the ICS bootchain, flash CWM, and then reflash the JB bootchain.  This process will increase your flash counter, but Triangle Away! has been reported to work on the Axiom.

I'm sorry if this guide seems too technical.  Truth be told, if you don't understand this you probably shouldn't be doing what you're doing in the first place. :)

As usual, what you do to your phone is your choice.  This worked for me 5 times in a row (I have friends with this phone) but that doesn't mean that stuff won't happen, and if it does it's on you.

Grab Axiom 4.1.2 CWM Root.zip and extract it to a folder on your desktop. Copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip to the root of a microsd card and insert it into the phone.

Flashing

First step is to install the drivers if you haven't already.  If you need to dlownload them you can get them from http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5301407&CDCttType=SW&ModelType=C&ModelName=SCH-R830ZSAUSC&VPath=SW/201211/20121110030255344/Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

Boot your Axiom into Download Mode by turning the phone off, hold down the home and volume down buttons, and press power til the screen turns on. When you see the screen turn on let go of the power button, but keep holding home and volume down until you see the custom OS warning screen.

Open Odin on your PC and plug in your USB cable.  Press volume up on your phone.  Wait for drivers to install, if necessary.  Odin will show a connection if everything is working correctly.

In Odin, Click the PDA button and browse to ICS.tar.  Uncheck Auto-Reboot and click start.  When Odin is finished, pull the battery and reboot the phone back into Download Mode.

The bootchain for ICS that you just flashed will allow you to flash CWM.  In Odin, click on the PDA button and browse to cwmr6_touch_sch-r830.tar.md5 and click start. When Odin is finished you will have CWM custom recovery on your phone.  Reboot your phone into Recovery Mode by following the same steps for Download Mode, but instead of holding volume DOWN and home, press volume UP and home.  Install SuperSU by selecting Install zip from sdcard and scrolling down to the SuperSU.zip file that you saved on your sdcard.  When finished, you will have root access and the SuperSU app installed on your phone.

Now we need to restore the stock Jelly Bean bootchain. Reboot the phone into Download Mode again. In Odin, click on the PDA button and browse to JB.tar and press Start.  When Odin is done you will be rooted,have CWM installed, and be back to your stock Jelly Bean bootchain.  Enjoy :D

Do you only have to do that if you OTA updated? I downloaded the Odin flashable and installed it to my phone, flashed CWM, and then installed the root. I never had to mess with any boothcains..

No.  If you have root and cwm then there's no need to flash the bootchains.  Only do this if you can't flash CWM after updating.  I don't know what the difference between update sources is, but some of us have not been able to flash CWM after  updating.

Where did you get your update sethert99?  I pulled the update out of the kies folder and flashed it with Odin.  I've read of at least one person that had this issue after an OTA update.  The S3 Jelly Bean update for most carriers did this too, that's how I was able to find this method of installing CWM.

I used the one from Samsung-Updates, and CWM and root worked perfectly fine without messing with the bootchain. They (claim to) get theirs straight from the carriers.

Edited by knd775

I'm assuming mine is from Samsung. I'm going to download the update from SU and check md5s

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

Followed the Guide.

Supersu installed and got root access.

My Build no. is JZ054K.R830VXBMB2.

+1

Edited by sasikanth8

I happened to check my recovery and it is back to stock 3e.

Should i have to odin the cwm touch again :mellow:

So basically you root while on Ics and use Odin to flash Jb instead of updating OTA. This method would replace cwm recovery with Jb recovery while preserving the SU root?

Basically, you get the JB update on your phone, and if you can't flash CWM with odin, try this guide.  It replaces the locked bootchain some of us got with JB with the unlocked one from ICS so you can flash CWM, then puts the JB bootchain back on your device for compatibility reasons.  I still have CWM on my phone and have not had issues with anything since the initial root.

I flashed cwm again.

Now I have rooted jb with cwm recovery.

sent from Samsung axiom using Tapatalk2

Thanks for the guide. I was flipping my lid as to why the rooting guides all over the net weren't working, I didn't realize it was because of the JB update. I'm not much of an Android whiz, lol. 

I was able to fully root. But now it won't boot into cwm recovery. It goes to the factory recovery and fails. All I want to do is a nandroid backup.

Edited by therealtoddster

Do a *228?

Reboot, go outside and try... The update doesn't bork 4G, you probably just lost its signal.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Do a *228?

Reboot, go outside and try... The update doesn't bork 4G, you probably just lost its signal.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

I did a dirty flash with odin and *228 still gets 3g

Edit: just did a fresh install its back

Edited by craveddreams

I was able to fully root. But now it won't boot into cwm recovery. It goes to the factory recovery and fails. All I want to do is a nandroid backup.

It happened for me too =( .

I guess the problem occurs because cwm recovery we are flashing is not made for our device.

I have CMW Recovery on my Axiom and have done several backups. But it wasn't flashed with Odin it is put on the sd card as a zip file and do a recovery from the sd card and zip file.

Edited by outcasted2003

I have CMW Recovery on my Axiom and have done several backups. But it wasn't flashed with Odin it is put on the sd card as a zip file and do a recovery from the sd card and zip file.

So..... Do you have a link for that zip file to be downloaded? I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks for your input!

EDIT.

The OP:

"Grab Axiom 4.1.2 CWM Root.zip and extract it to a folder on your desktop. Copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip to the root of a microsd card and insert it into the phone."

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Edited by therealtoddster