ssego

Rooting the Galaxy Axiom after the 4.1.2 update

Excuse me. I'm having an issue rooting this Samsung Axiom 4g LTE. I'm a first time rooter. I had switch the odin out for one I downloaded off of the internet. Although I was able to ectract the md5 and .tar files. I tried to flash the ICS just like this post said but it failed, and said that 0 succeeded and 1 failed. Right when this happens, it puts a red text on my phone saying Unsupported_dev or something along them lines. I'm no sure what's going on. If I need a different CWM and ICS-JB files, can someone give me download links. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

You can check for files here

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/files/category/19-samsung-axiom/

Um. That brought me to a dolphin browser discussion..

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't use Tapatalk ;)

Beyond our control bugs

I've got a rooted Axiom running the debloated 4.0.4 'stock' firmware, but I'd like to upgrade to 4.1.2 and keep my root. Best option here?

edited (version 4.0.4)

Edited by iamdavenport

I have been trying to root my axiom for almost a month now. It was already updated when I got it. I understand what I need to do in order to root the thing, but I can not find the ics.tar download anywhere.  I'm already very frustrated with the whole process, my last phone was a piece of cake to root but this one has really gotten me against a wall. Thanks for any help!

I have been trying to root my axiom for almost a month now. It was already updated when I got it. I understand what I need to do in order to root the thing, but I can not find the ics.tar download anywhere. I'm already very frustrated with the whole process, my last phone was a piece of cake to root but this one has really gotten me against a wall. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

The ICS.tar is in the same folder as the jb.tar.

I'm not sure if this will work with Axiom but there is a program called Impactor that roots almost any Android device by using the recently discovered master key vulnerability and injects the super user binaries and so forth in the filesystem.  I have used it on my Tablet (HP Slate 7) with no problems up until their latest release yesterday which plugged the holes rendering the hack useless.  I spoke on IRC with the developer Saurik and he said he is working on a fix for this and other fixes, but in the  mean time you can download it here: 

http://www.saurik.com/id/17

(Look for the yellow box)

Also, in searching for a fix to rooting the Slate yesterday after it's OTA update which replaced the rom and unrooted it, I found this to work pretty well and it rooted the tablet without a fuss:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

There is a runme.bat which you have to run to make it work and ADB (Android Developer Tools from Google), installed to make it work.  The batch file injects the binaries in the Android rooting it.  HOWEVER, at least for the Slate, the batch file timed out too early to finish rooting.  So, I had to copy/paste each command in the command line to do it, but it worked.

If anyone wants to try these it can't hurt, if either works, it might be an easier fix than doing the work around that is in the thread. :) I am replacing my Axiom in the next couple of weeks probably due to hardware issues under warranty.  When I get the new one, I will try these, but in the mean time - earlier reports would be great. :D

I wanted to update my last post - and instead of editing, wanted to bump to top as well.  I did a crazy thing earlier today which I wasn't thinking right about when I did and was using my NFC tag to unlock my phone, or so I thought and inadvertently locked myself out of my phone for good as I didn't have the correct password (The NFC Serial number - should have written it down).  One of the tools I used (XPOSED), didn't enable the NFC while screen on, unlocked mode.  So, I had no choice to factory restore.  Not an easy task at all.  Factory restore from recovery killed com.android.phone in a loop. 

I had to roll back to Factory ICS, and then update to JB.  Tried several different methods, and NOTHING and I mean NOTHING WORKED as it was unable to root because of the locked boot loader in spite of rolling back to the ICS bootloader.  So, I just landed back at my above post and drove myself nuts trying to get inside my brain.

There is a tool in the first link where I mention the Yellow Box (or below) for Cydia's Impactor.    I just used that tool and rooted my device super quickly and easily.

Go to:

Go down to the Section marked:

Automated Exploit

There are some links to the exploit based on your OS, but I don't want to hotlink to his scripts (common courtesy).

Anyway, worked flawlessly. 

I just made on the above instructions, it works.
But CWM 6 displayed not correct. It looks offset to the left of the display to 0.8-1 cm.

Is this normal?

screens:

AfNnEmK.jpg

2AaRrbD.jpg

Edited by anticler

I know this is an old thread, but I have 3 of these with 4.12 that I want to root.  I have downloaded  Axiom 4.1.2 CWM Root.zip multiple times.  Each time I try to unzip it using Win 7 extract or 7zip it gives a unsupported compression method error.  Does anyone have a link to a good copy?  Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but I have 3 of these with 4.12 that I want to root.  I have downloaded  Axiom 4.1.2 CWM Root.zip multiple times.  Each time I try to unzip it using Win 7 extract or 7zip it gives a unsupported compression method error.  Does anyone have a link to a good copy?  Thanks

Worked fine for me.  Maybe it's your browser?  I downloaded and extracted using 7zip with no problem on Chrome.

Bornx

downloaded again with Chrome, still got the same error, so I installed the newest version of 7zip.   That worked, it was a problem with the older version of 7zip, first time I had that happen.  If you hadn't confirmed it was working I would still thought it was a bad zip file.

Thanks

On 11/19/2013 at 8:38 PM, medfordite said:

I wanted to update my last post - and instead of editing, wanted to bump to top as well.  I did a crazy thing earlier today which I wasn't thinking right about when I did and was using my NFC tag to unlock my phone, or so I thought and inadvertently locked myself out of my phone for good as I didn't have the correct password (The NFC Serial number - should have written it down).  One of the tools I used (XPOSED), didn't enable the NFC while screen on, unlocked mode.  So, I had no choice to factory restore.  Not an easy task at all.  Factory restore from recovery killed com.android.phone in a loop. 

I had to roll back to Factory ICS, and then update to JB.  Tried several different methods, and NOTHING and I mean NOTHING WORKED as it was unable to root because of the locked boot loader in spite of rolling back to the ICS bootloader.  So, I just landed back at my above post and drove myself nuts trying to get inside my brain.

There is a tool in the first link where I mention the Yellow Box (or below) for Cydia's Impactor.    I just used that tool and rooted my device super quickly and easily.

Go to:

Go down to the Section marked:

Automated Exploit

There are some links to the exploit based on your OS, but I don't want to hotlink to his scripts (common courtesy).

Anyway, worked flawlessly. 

I know this is old, but the tool from Saurik works fine and is a much easier and quicker method. I have an old Axiom with 4.1.2 on it. I used the tool from Saurik and it was super easy to root it. Thanks for the info! Here is the link to the Windows version of the tool. He says the following regarding linking to it:

Users can download Impactor using the following links: Mac OS X or Windows. These URLs will always point to the most recent version of Impactor (they will redirect to a URL that has the specific version and will be updated automatically), so feel free to post them in forum posts or on Twitter.

Here is how I did it for anyone that can't figure it out, but it's really easy. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. Download and install the Samsung USB drivers. Go into the developer options on the phone and enable USB debugging. Connect the phone. Download the tool. Extract the archive to a folder. Execute Impactor.exe. The default option was "# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su". I left it on that and clicked "start". It finished in a couple seconds. I then downloaded Root Checker Pro from xda and installed it on the phone. The app says that the device is rooted. Installed SuperSU app and Busy Box from Google Play. Rebooted and ran Root Checker Pro again to be sure that I still have root and that Busy Box and SuperSU are working.