Sign in to follow this  
Justin121

2 GS3's side by side. 1 3 bars of 4G, 1 3 bars of 3G.

I don't understand this. We just switched to US Cellular from Sprint and all I hear is how great US Cellular's reception is but at this point, we've had more luck with Sprint. I'm getting crap signal in all sorts of places I've never had problems.

Anyways, to the point at hand, we got rid of our DSL (1.5mbps) because 4G is so fast! Or at least it should be. We regularly pull 5-15mbps in our home except when it goes to .1mbps for no reason at all. And its just random. We've tried the sim fix where you power down and remove sim and then power up then down again and put sim in and power up again. We've tried factory resets, samsung phone updates. Nothing helps. I'll go from 3 bars 4g and 15mbps connection to 1-2 bars of 3g and pulling .1-.6mbps. I mean WTF seriously.

The worst part is that we can be in the same room and sit our phones (both same GS3) right next to each other and one of us can pull 10mbps while the other can't break 1. And it switches phones so it's not like one of us are defective.

US Cellular says "wind'. I guess the wind just takes away the signal from one phone though.

Any ideas?

If your phones are randomly jumping from 4G to 3G and the signal bars are changing also that to me sounds like antenna misalignment on the tower it actually sounds like somethings lose and customer services comment of wind may actually be true that it's moving the antenna that's causing signal degradation.

But I also see other people complaining about the galaxy s3 having internet (damn you auto correct) ANTENNA issues I never had any problems with mine but I would recommend going back to the US Cellular store and politely demanding an exchange because of antenna issues.
Explain exactly what you just did here and it should be enough for any smart person to understand that it's either the tower that's bad for your phone that's bad

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by v_lestat

Make sure the LTE is turned on by going to Menu> settings> more settings> mobile networks> and check that its not in just cdma mode.

Let me know on that, here is what you'll see:

a7ybu8as.jpg

etuteran.jpg

If they are both in LTE mode it could be that they need a prl update, very unlikely, but not unheard of. Just *228 both of them and rerun the tests.

Should both things check out and you're still having issues I would warranty out the crap one and get a brand new one. The issues are still out there with this thing, too many of us have been thru it

Good luck man, anxious to see what you find

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the screenshots, I should've been a bit more specific. I've tried quite a few things and I toggled CDMA/LTE and Airplane mode to try and mess with things. I also download a signal repair app that was very well reviewed on the marketplace which didn't make a difference. I don't think the phone itself could be to blame if both of us are having the issue though unless we're really that unlucky. I've considered going to the Electrify M but I'm not happy about the inability to pull/exchange the battery.

Thanks for your helpful and quick responses!

Agreed on the EM - the s3 is notorious for garbage signal for both calls and data.

Idk - I'm with you on that its not the phone that has a defect - its that thr phone has crap hardware to begin with.

If I sit an em or even a N2 by my s3 they will trample it - every time. Its just the s3, inferior hardware

I'll have to consider the EM some more I guess. I'm still in the 15 day window but I'm just nervous about the battery not being removable. US Cellular is still ahead of my previous carrier, Sprint, who about 3 weeks ago just stopped allowing me to receive incoming calls/VMs on my phone. I switched phones and same issue. They said all of my phones must be defective. LOL.

One more question, does anyone know of a way/app that would allow me to disable 3G on my phone and only use LTE? I know how to disable 4G but was hoping the opposite was possible. I just wanted for testing purposes to see what happens in this case.

One more question, does anyone know of a way/app that would allow me to disable 3G on my phone and only use LTE? I know how to disable 4G but was hoping the opposite was possible. I just wanted for testing purposes to see what happens in this case.

nope.

disabling data is the only way to disable 3G, but it also disables 4G.

what is your signal like outside your house?

at work?

at play?

If your only problem location is home... well... there you go.

to me this is very suspicious.  the feigning signal to me says trees, or crappy antenna alignment.

do you have metal/aluminum siding? one of the newer Metal roofs on your house?

big trees surrounding or near your house?

are you sitting really close to a WiFi AP ? - any signal no matter the frequency, if strong enough can interfere with other wireless devices.

House built on limestone?

ancient Indian burial ground?

Do your children often spew pea soup while cursing?

Edited by v_lestat

Let me throw this out there. I had a few months back a visit from a Sprint technician who said I was causing serious interference with the network in the area with something I had in my garage. So I open the garage and the only thing I have in there is an over the air television antenna withy an amplifier. Well low and behold the amplifier totally was borked. With the power off I was causing wide spread signal issues but once I put powered to it I was basically a lte blocker!

Strange but true but sprint technician went and bought me a new amplifier installed it and no more blocking. I had asked if I could keep the bad unit and was told no. I was going to randomly block signals hehehe....

As touchy as 4g lte is... I can say this at home I get better 4g with my EM than I did with my S3. And here at work I am closer to a tower but have worse 4g signal than I do at home.

It isn't a perfect world! Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dBuster

I haven't had much experience with it outside the house. We joined about a week ago. I havent noticed any switching but outside use is minimal and this could happen every half hour or every few hours. It's normally not a big problem but we are going to use unlimited data/tethering for our home internet.

Signal at work in top floor of a building is about 70/30 3G/4G and worse than Sprint.

No to trees surrounding house, vinyl siding, no to metal roof.

Our phones would be the only wifi AP and my wife was experiencing issues when my phone was not there to cause problems.

No to limestone, burial ground lol. I think you could be onto something with the pea soup though.

If you disable 3G you won't get calls, texts... that's what 3G evdo does.

he was referring to 3G Data not 3G the Cellular overall experience.

3G is a data naming convention denoting a certain range of data speeds. though some may pair it with voice quality, which is incorrect.

3G has nothing to do with Voice and Text

that's why Edge devices (original iphone), and other GSM & CDMA devices prior to 3G could make calls and send text.

Edited by v_lestat