UPEngineer

New Root Method for JB without Unlocking--Works!!!!

Guys and Gals,

On the heels of the new unlocking method Dan Rosenburg released, a new root method has been found.

I tried it on my Electrify Razr M and it works!!!  I have root with a locked bootloader.

I saw the original post on androidcentral.

Here is the site where the files are.  Maybe the mod can get permission to host the files here as well.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/15208-root-motochopper-yet-another-android-root-exploit/page__pid__244281#entry244281

Again, it is working for me. 

Scott

Now, the only issue I have is there is no reversal as of yet.  If Moto decides to release a new update, say to 4.2, it will fail if the device is rooted.  I think at this point I am happy enough with the phone to leave it be for now.

Now, the only issue I have is there is no reversal as of yet.  If Moto decides to release a new update, say to 4.2, it will fail if the device is rooted.  I think at this point I am happy enough with the phone to leave it be for now.

Could we not delete the su file or whatever it is and reboot? That is what I have done before I believe. I know that it shows rooted in the system menu screen (can't remember how I got there) but I received the OTA update to jellybean just fine while being rooted. 

Well after registering with that "other" site.  I am able to CONFIRM that "I HAVE ROOT!!"  After unzipping the download, I found there was both a Windows "BAT" file and a Linux executable.  The Linux one worked fine for me.

TEDC force stopped and froze with Ti Backup :)

Won't RSD unroot it?  And shouldn't update work since no recovery installed nor the bootloader touched

I am not sure that it will even without receovery or the bootloader being untouched...  My E2 would not update to JB until I uninstalled Root.  It wouldn't even show an update was available until it was uninstalled.  Also, I was told my one of the Moto guys during the soak test (I was asking him about why the E2 wouldn't get the update) that their server showed it was rooted, and that was the reason why it wouldn't update.  So, I have this feeling that even without unlocking, they still are able to track if the phone is rooted and basically it will void the warranty, even without unlocking it.

Edited by fish2222

Not sure why we need to try since we didn't unlock bootloader.  Did I miss a reason we might be able to load it with just root?

Isn't there a way to load safestrap onto a rooted device without unlocking the bootloader? I know I was able to with the Electrify

FWIW, I did the newest 5 mb OTA update and was pleasantly alerted I had no root access anymore.  Idk if there's a counter anywhere but I definitely lost root.  Reran this and gained root with no problem.

Also, not seeing a Safestrap?

Not sure why we need to try since we didn't unlock bootloader.  Did I miss a reason we might be able to load it with just root?

Isn't there a way to load safestrap onto a rooted device without unlocking the bootloader? I know I was able to with the Electrify

yes there probably is. but what good would it do? you still won't be able to have any good roms or a true recovery without an unlocked bootloader. ):

If you are worried about putting back to stock for warranty purposes, I thought i would throw out there that there is a root counter in the service programming menu. Don't know if it can be reset or not.

If you are worried about putting back to stock for warranty purposes, I thought i would throw out there that there is a root counter in the service programming menu. Don't know if it can be reset or not.

well, poop

@Ace3166 - Are you talking about the "qe 1/1" in the recovery menu?  I was doing a little research the other day and it seems there are quite a few reports where that displays wrong (i.e. users NEVER rooted still show as rooted)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post, forgot about it.

If you dial #073887* on the keypad and then put 000000 and hit verify it will give you the service programming menu.
#15 device rooting. it only displays if device is rooted or not(I think)

I might have goofed,I think it may have been the E2 that had an actual counter on it.

Wow, have not been on here in a while, but the motochopper worked perfectly.  My device is locked, but is rooted and downloaded link2sd and froze TEDC, so now I have Mobile Hotspot working again!!!  YES!!

BTW, that was one of the easiest rooting methods I have ever done.  Took all of 10 seconds.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post, forgot about it.

If you dial #073887* on the keypad and then put 000000 and hit verify it will give you the service programming menu.

#15 device rooting. it only displays if device is rooted or not(I think)

I might have goofed,I think it may have been the E2 that had an actual counter on it.

Just did this while unrooted to check and see if it works. I can confirm that the Service programming menu is still there, and #15 says "Device rooting Unrooted"

Can someone with root check this for me and post what it says while rooted, then unroot yourself and see if it does a count?

Would like to root using this exploit but I don't want to if it has a counter.

Mine is rooted and says "rooted". How do you unroot this device? I haven't seen any instructions on how to unroot the device anywhere yet if you use this method to gain root access.

Edited by outcasted2003

Well after playing around and experementing, I was able to unroot successfully using RSD Lite 6.1.4 and stock firmware JB! Wooohoo .... this is a really kewl hobby! :)

Edited by outcasted2003

Nope :) Said un rooted, also under boot load it showed everything normal after too. Can NOT find a counter anywhere but remember I'm a complete noob too.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Good to confirm that haha. Now if only unlocking and re-locking the bootloader could be confirmed.... XD

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2