iR1O

[Official] I Just Got the S4 Thread

Seems in line. I love this phone indeed. Second only to the N3.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Edited by Zenzr

I just got mine today but I'm going to wait to activate it. Learning a new phone is a PIA to me and I want to do so at my own pace so having another phone to use helps. I am also gong to root. I'll be searching here for ways to do so. This is different than my current mesmerize which I rooted 2 years ago. I know everything I need is here but if some one wants to throw some advice my way it won't hurt me feelings . I'm unclear about the baseband references and the Knox implications. This is not "my" phone so I know I'm going to be risking the cost of none if I brick it.

Thanks8amupeha.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I just got a brand new S4 today and it came with 4.2.2 installed. My question is; can I install 4.3 or 4.4 roms on this bootloader? After rooting of course...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I just got a brand new S4 today and it came with 4.2.2 installed. My question is; can I install 4.3 or 4.4 roms on this bootloader? After rooting of course...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Yes. If you don't want to deal with Knox (it's not hard) you can update your radios (look for my guide I just posted.) You can run any AOSP 4.2.2 4.3 4.4 ROM you want. If you update it's a little different. 

You can run 4.3 and 4.4 Touchwiz roms if they have the bootloader removed as well. 

Edited by Zenzr

As I said, my phone came with 4.2.2 installed which I figured meant no Knox. Well I was looking through the apps and saw a few Knox items. So my question is am I Knox free or not?

a8erupyq.jpgujetysym.jpg

Edited by barndawg76

You'll have the Knox apps but 4.3 added the knox bootloader itself. You won't get 0x1 or w/e on 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

...really!?

So if you jump from 4.2 to 4.4 you bypass that crap?

Say it's true! Please! If 4.4 is knox free I'll do the update and wait for root to be available.

Edited by barndawg76

Only thing I'm worried about is when 4.4 hits our Note 10.1 of it will have 0x1 or if its spared due to its age. Eh we will find out in a month!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is Knox really such a concern? I mean if you want a custom recovery enough then forget about knox and bite the bullet. With a $175.00 deductible if you need to replace a phone with knox tripped just buy another used phone. Think of it like the custom recovery is going to cost you the difference between a deductible and a privately purchased replacement. If a replacement costs $400.00 for example then tripping knox cost you $225.00. Well worth it IMO.

You can probably buy one on ebay for under 200.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I might have mentioned there except for the fact that I nearly got several hosed about 7 years ago by someone. I bought 3 altel flip phones from a thief that tried ripping me off. Long story but I got my money back and he was unhappy. I wouldn't buy a phone off there but clist is another way

I had to get a new S4. It's virgin out of the box with 4.3 I'm not sure yet if I'm going to mod this one yet. My first question is, should I do the ota update it wants me to? Will it make any difference if I do decide to root and flash? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find an exact answer. Thanks for any advise...

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

There's TONS of info for the update.

Its probably nothing big since I don't think the 4.4.2 has been rereleased yet.

It makes no difference. You still have Knox and everything will work the way it did on 4.3.

If you do decide to modify it just be careful and don't do anything too risky without having a good backup or knowing how to UNDO whatever you're about to do.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I  rooted, flashed a recovery and the Slim Kat rom on my s4 that already had the 4.4.2 update on it. How do you check the knox counter? Just curious, it's not under warranty anyway.