JohnB

[HOW-TO] Remove Navigation Bar

This is just a short tutorial to regain some screen "real estate"

Pre-requisites

ROOT

LMT Launcher
  Edit "build.prop"

First you will need to "root" your phone.  This can be done a couple of ways now, although I prefer the "Moto-Chopper" method described in this thread:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/4229-new-root-method-for-jb-without-unlocking-works/

Next you will need "LMT Launcher".  This provides the a launcher similar to the "Pie Launcher" used in Paranoid Android, and will give you on demand buttons to replace "back, home, menu" and a lot of other custom functions as desired:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

Take some time to familiarize yourself with LMT and the Pie launcher itself.  One thing you will want to set for sure in the settings is "Autostart TouchService / Enabled"  so it starts at boot.

Lastly, you will need to add one line to "build.prop" located in the /system folder.

Using your preferred "root explorer" go to /system and open "build.prop" with a "text editior".  I use ES Explorer as it has the text editor built in.  Add the following line at the end of the build.prop file:

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1

Save and close the file.  Reboot

Enjoy having basically the same screen size as the old Electrify.

(PS The "rounded" corners are care of an app called "RoundR" found on the Play Store)

post-3693-0-37343900-1367681766_thumb.pn

post-3693-0-96804100-1367681787_thumb.pn

post-3693-0-61885600-1367681809_thumb.pn

post-3693-0-15784600-1367681843_thumb.pn

It's funny, those of us that don't have a nav bar want one:lol:

sent from my US Cellular GS2 rockin' the Beanstalk ROM...BOOM!!!

post-4654-136918557627_thumb.jpg

It's funny, those of us that don't have a nav bar want one:lol:

Now why would you WANT to waste the screen space???  ???

thanks a ton!

Us

You know, it's that whole want what you ain't got thing;)

sent from my US Cellular GS2 rockin' the Beanstalk ROM...BOOM!!!

I am such a noob and just can not figure out how to install LMT! Any help would be greatly appreciated ... until then I will keep googling and reading. :(

I am such a noob and just can not figure out how to install LMT! Any help would be greatly appreciated ... until then I will keep googling and reading. :(

Were you able to get "LMT" downloaded from the XDA link?  It is not available on the Play Store if you were looking there.

Should be an "APK" file.  Something must have been renaming it, but it sounds like your on the right track.

Thanks dude! I always knew about being able to hide the nav bar but I didn't know about the LMT app, I am loving this! The best part is no more accidental bumping the home or back button while playing games haha

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

I followed all the steps... But my es manager will not save the changes. It keeps saying "error changes will not be saved" any ideas? I uninstalled and reinstalled es but to no avail

Look in the options for ES (top left corner) select root explorer, and set /system to R/W (read /write)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4

After you download the necessary kernel, you install it as an update in recovery.

Sent from my rooted Electrify M running CM 10.1 using Tapatalk 4.