RON427

Annoying Plastic Camera Lens Scratch Protector

83 posts in this topic

Those of you that have the S4 probably know what I'm talking about. Those that dont will have to wait until I'm home to take a pic of it. Anywho... the plastic thingy covering the camera lens on my S4 keeps getting clogged up with pocket lint and dust and now it's starting to pull away from the lens itself.

After a call to 611 and a trip to a repair center the following solution was offered:

1. Start a Quick Ticket so it is in the system as an issue.

2. If the lens gets scratched come back and the device will be replaced.

3. Share this information so anyone having this issue can do the same and it becomes a known issue system wide.

So if you notice this issue call 611 and ask to have it documented on a Quick Ticket. If your lens is already scratched, demand a replacement.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Already on it.

Mine has quite a fine collection of dog hair, pocket lint, some white powder (?), and is scratched up pretty bad.

Now, it DOES protect the view of the camera from scratches, at the cost of potentially cramming full of crap.

Will advise.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

McDaddy Tree and RON427 like this

Guys I believe that plastic isn't a "protector". It's a piece of film that's on the device for when it's shipped. Same as the film around the frame and screen.. Your supposed to remove it.

If you talking about the lens itself then disregard my msg.

So does it peel off? If so it's not supposed to be there. I think DROID Life did a article about all the plastic film that's supposed to be removed. (they must have been bored)

I removed my plastic and it's all good.

No, it's really stuck down. I don't think it will come off, without something bad happening anyway.

It's like glued down, I tried to pry it off with no luck.

Here's some pics:

post-3240-136882471365_thumb.jpg

post-3240-136882472586_thumb.jpg

post-3240-13688247362_thumb.jpg

RON427 likes this

No, it's really stuck down. I don't think it will come off, without something bad happening anyway.

It's like glued down, I tried to pry it off with no luck.

Here's some pics:

post-3240-136882471365_thumb.jpg

post-3240-136882472586_thumb.jpg

post-3240-13688247362_thumb.jpg

Not to change the subject, but it looks like you have a 64GB MicroSD. Does it get hot?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I too thought it came off like a screen protector, but it doesn't.  And it is very annoying...

I somehow was able to get it off on the first day, there was a pull piece but you have to take off the back cover to get to it.

The plastic IS supposed to be there and is actually held in place by the chrome plastic bezel that surrounds the camera lens. The techninians in the repair center spent about an hour trying to figure out a way to remove it and actuallly consulted with someone from Samsung because they thought it was just protective cellophane as well.

Ok guys that comes off. I know you think it doesn't but it does. I was able to pick at mine a little and it came loose.

_Sent from the Galaxy S4_

Ok guys that comes off. I know you think it doesn't but it does. I was able to pick at mine a little and it came loose.

_Sent from the Galaxy S4_

Mine came right off too, I didn't think that was supposed to stay on. It was full of pocket lint within hours of having the phone so I thought it was just another protective piece of plastic.  I don't know why that would ever need to stay on, the camera looks the way it should without it.

That's awesome that it comes off! I'm just going by what information I was given at the repair center and the repair center was given by Samsung. The plastic is supposed to be there. According to them it was put there to keep the raised camera lens from scratching. Either way... I did what I could and passed the info along to you folks. Pull it off or don't it's up to you.

I'm pulling mine off...  And then im going to take the plastic film off the phone too....   :)

BoгИX likes this

That thing looked ugly with all the stuff under it. I picked at it before and couldn't get it. Saw this topic tried again and it came right off. Good to know it comes off.

took mine off within 5 minutes of owning the device, trust me do you really think you want this covering a 13mp camera lens?  thats what a case is for so when you throw it on the counter it wont get scratched

took mine off within 5 minutes of owning the device, trust me do you really think you want this covering a 13mp camera lens?  thats what a case is for so when you throw it on the counter it wont get scratched

This

Not saying anyone is wrong about the reason for the plastic, just don't know why they'd put that there and expect it to stay on during use without looking like crap.  I mean it attracted lint and dust immediately.  

Just peeled mine off, its definitely not meant to be permanent imo. It doesnt even protect the lens, lookpost-6629-136902566318_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

I am a little confused. Is everyone talking about the plastic film like what is on your screen when you get a new phone or is this something else by the talk about having to remove a chrome bezel, etc...??

Can someone clarify please? Maybe a photo if it is more than just a plastic film as the post just before this looks like the film like version. Unless that is the harder plastic I thought I read about in some posts.

Thanks for clarifying in advance.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

RON427 likes this

I am a little confused. Is everyone talking about the plastic film like what is on your screen when you get a new phone or is this something else by the talk about having to remove a chrome bezel, etc...??

Can someone clarify please? Maybe a photo if it is more than just a plastic film as the post just before this looks like the film like version. Unless that is the harder plastic I thought I read about in some posts.

Thanks for clarifying in advance.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Its a little thicker than the plastic that covers your screen from the factory and has a die cut circle in it as not to obstruct the camera lens.

As I stated before, the repair center and Samsung have confirmed that it belongs there.

Yes, its ugly and collects lint and dirt and it comes off with some work but thats why it was suggested to start a ticket through 611 so it becomes a known issue.

Sorry to offend anyone that says otherwise but I'm much more inclined to believe that if it was meant to come off it would:

1. Not have a hole cut in the middle of it.

2. Have a tab of some sort to pull it off.

3. Not been confirmed by Samsung to belong there.

phince1 and arbliss like this