HikingMoose

TWRP warning!!!

Just to save some TWRP users some headaches. Do NOT format the /data or SD card like you can on the S3. The current TWRP 2.5.0.2 formats it to something unreadable by TW ROMs. Therefore you won't be able to mount data or use a TW ROM. You will be able to use AOSP still. FYI.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by HikingMoose

I belive the factory reset option formats data as an ext4 partition.

Are you saying the usc TW roms can't read that file system?

Also, did you mean to say 2.5.0.2?

Edited by nabbed

Factory reset is probably safe. That only wipes user data, doesn't format anything to my knowledge .

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Factory reset is probably safe. That only wipes user data, doesn't format anything to my knowledge .

Sorry, I don't mean to appear lazy but I quickly looked through the options in twrp and I didn't see where one could format the userdata partition or /data/media/0 or anything like that. I only saw "wipe" and advanced wipe options.

Where is this format business?

When you click "wipe" it's the button on the right. Don't do it! Just do factory wipe and maybe advanced wipe until they fix it.

When you click "wipe" it's the button on the right. Don't do it! Just do factory wipe and maybe advanced wipe until they fix it. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

oops, you mean that big ass "FORMAT DATA" button, starting right in my face...

At least now if you do, we know how to fix it.  I was stuck using CM10 for like 3 days (which was actually fine, I just didn't have GPS) before we figured it out.  

At least now if you do, we know how to fix it.  I was stuck using CM10 for like 3 days (which was actually fine, I just didn't have GPS) before we figured it out.  

Hey Moose!  

What did you do to get around this?  Is there a discussion thread somewhere?

Thanks man.

Hey. Just flash cwm. I used shabbypenguins but there is also official cwm now. That will allow you to format data correctly and will allow data to be mounted.

Great, I was just going to ask if cwm was available. I always have problems with twrp. noticing it's super hard to navigate. It is so sensitive to touch that it's so hard to scroll through your files without messing up. Super frustrating.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Twrp was updated and no longer has the touch issue, it does still have the formatting issue discussed here afaik however

I actually prefer twrp immensely. I hate how cwm organizes there stuff. Everything you have to wipe is in 3 or 4 places. Twrp puts it all in one location. Much easier to navigate.

The older twrp was better than the new layout though. I hope they realize that and go back.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

I have TWRP installed and I'm pretty sure that I've deleted the /data and it's been just fine so far..

It has probably been fixed in the last few updates. Is there a way to format /system or /data or /cache yet?

I'm pretty sure with TWRP, when you "wipe" if you read the logs, it formats also. I could be wrong, but I don't really want to test it right now.  When you do the advanced wipe, just select the ones you want to wipe. That's what I do and I have had no problems at all.

It has probably been fixed in the last few updates.

Actually, you mentioned that about 2.5.0.2

I'm using 2.5.0.0.  I don't know if that could be a new thing they added instead of something that wasn't previously there.

It has probably been fixed in the last few updates.

Actually, you mentioned that about 2.5.0.2

I'm using 2.5.0.0. I don't know if that could be a new thing they added instead of something that wasn't previously there.

they have definitely fixed a lot of weird bugs on the s4. it's easy as pie to update, just run the install from goomanager menu

from the latest (2.6) changelog

Fixed some issues with the advanced wipe list (android_secure, can now wipe internal storage on data/media deivces and wipe data on the advanced list no longer formats the entire data partition)

Can anyone confirm latest twrp from ROM manager to be functioning properly cwm is way slow

Can anyone confirm latest twrp from ROM manager to be functioning properly cwm is way slow

Use cwm philz version twrp is going down hill