xonone

New Sprint OTA to lock bootloader?

34 posts in this topic

I was looking at xda forums and a few people said a new ota is coming out soon. A few devs got ahold of it and said its looking like its locking bootloaders. So I went into a sprint store and asked about the ota update and a few people said its a new security update. Anyone else hear about it yet?

Sent via SCH-I925U Note 10.1 LTE

Edited by xonone

Found it. So far no real facts saying it's locked but it does look like they've pumped up the knox security. :-

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by na7q

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2355395

From the screenshots posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2355395&page=2 #11 you can see something odd. Secure boot status: Samsung.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2355395&page=3 #28 Someone comfirms locked bootloader.

Sprint Samsung Galaxy s4 currently but I did ask around about the s3s and they are saying its prob getting the same security update soon but as 4.1.2.

Edited by xonone

Whoa whoa guys. There's no confirmation of locked bootloaders. You're just jumping to conclusions and spreading rumors at this point. Chill!

McDaddy Tree likes this

Whoa whoa guys. There's no confirmation of locked bootloaders. You're just jumping to conclusions and spreading rumors at this point. Chill!

Blast yee Motorola demons! Be gone or infect the Samsung!

:D:blink:

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

iR1O likes this

Official Reports show the Bootloaders Is not currently locked but had a huge security update (KNOX based apps, etc.) giving some people trouble rooting. I heard reports that people messing with KNOX security settings WILL get the bootloaders locked. Prob why some people were giving out the "Locked bootloader" Reports. Remember, never screw with anythingknox.apk and delete it via TB. You can read about KNOX stuff here and why its evil: https://www.samsung.com/global/business/mobile/solution/security/samsung-knox

Shabbypenguin stated: "bootloader isnt locked, mine is already back to rooted with twrp. that secured by samsung is the new knox stuff, so you can assign your own bootloader chain etc."

@na7q: we were both right in a different way :P

Edited by xonone
McDaddy Tree likes this

Official Reports show the Bootloaders Is not currently locked but had a huge security update (KNOX based apps, etc.) giving some people trouble rooting. I heard reports that people messing with KNOX security settings WILL get the bootloaders locked. Prob why some people were giving out the "Locked bootloader" Reports. Remember, never screw with anythingknox.apk and delete it via TB. You can read about KNOX stuff here and why its evil: https://www.samsung.com/global/business/mobile/solution/security/samsung-knox

Shabbypenguin stated: "bootloader isnt locked, mine is already back to rooted with twrp. that secured by samsung is the new knox stuff, so you can assign your own bootloader chain etc."

@na7q: we were both right in a different way :P

I told you it was knox and nothing to worry about :P No locked bootloaders. So quit your worrying. Fool!

McDaddy Tree likes this

Well there are locked bootloaders but you gotta turn on the settings to enable it via knox :P

#KNOXISAWASTE

P.S. Changelogs are pretty much the same as MEA: App to sd support, new toggle (Smart pause), blur fix, and lag fix.

Edited by xonone
McDaddy Tree likes this

Well there are locked bootloaders but you gotta turn on the settings to enable it via knox :P

#KNOXISAWASTE

P.S. Changelogs are pretty much the same as MEA: App to sd support, new toggle (Smart pause), blur fix, and lag fix.

You's trippin' :)

Build.prop is needed for converters. Gotta update that fingerprint! Mf5?

Edited by na7q
McDaddy Tree likes this

Did I just see apps to SD?  For USCC?

Hmmm...may have to break down and finally get the S4 then...

Just got my update this morning :) USCC . App to Sd included

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This seriously makes me want to go back to stock. But then again. I love my AOSP.

Hmm... So is anyone working up a Deodexed yet?  If so, I'll wait - if not, I wanna try this out odexed, hopfully the same ol' root method works!

That 64GB SD will really come in handy now...

xonone likes this

That 64GB SD will really come in handy now...

Hey Guys...so is this the new MF5 firmware that is being pushed to my phone?  Also if I update will I lose root?