Buelligan

WP8 - Samsung Ativ Odyssey - First Week

Well after a week with the new phone I thought I would post my first impressions.

1) I love the phone just for battery life alone! almost 2 times what the HTC 7 Pro would last. 12-14 hours, moderate use.

2) 4G is amazing! 25+ MB/s down and 15-18 up. Well I got that twice but since I only see about 10-11 with one 17 down and 3-5 up

3) more APPS, they now have so many more not backwards to WP7

4) nice and slim, light and feels good in the hand

5) very clear call quality.

6) Wallet feature is nice, but see below!

7) WiFi hotspot for up to 8 clients, NICE!!, Surface now has internet anywhere I have cell service!

8) Also LOVE the Microsoft Eco System! I logged on to my Hotmail account and BAM!!! all my info was on the phone!!!! No waiting for the "data transfer" that the lady in line was doing for her new S4, Took tech over 20 minutes to transfer her data! Not sure that is how they all work, but mine was so simple!

9) Data Sense, to track data use, is nice. We will see how accurately after a few bills.

DISLIKES: NONE!! just kidding

1) the power button location is tough. On all the HTCs it is on top right. but this phone is on the side opposite the volume rocker and I find myself turning down the volume every time I power down. So after a few times the volume is 0!

2) NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD! Man I miss that, PLEASE bring it back! I guess the biggest thing about it is the lack of cursor controls. When I want to edit it can't seem to get it where I need it by touch. Which was fine in the other phone I would just get close and couple arrow clicks it was where I wanted to edit.

3) USCC decided not to activate the NFC Wallet feature, dang it!! WHY? ???

4) 8GB of storage - but this is offset by a 64GB microSD card and the cloud. I struggled with the fixed 16GB on the Pro but 7GB of music and video was more the issue it seems. I have most of my APPS reinstalled and still have 3GB left. But my card has WAY more on it than I ever had on the Pro. So the trade off seems to be ok for now.

Well that's it for now I'll touch on other items later. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them.

Edited by Buelligan

Thanks

No problem.

By the way, I also moved my wife from her HTC Merge, Android,  to this phone also. She is very comfortable and seems to get around SO MUCH easier. She is loving it so far. She says it is so much easier to find her way around, which means less bugging me for help :-)

As long as you both are happy that's all that really matters!

Sent from my can on a string using Tapatalk 4

I agree 100%

So far I am satisfied, but with that said I would drop this for a flagship tomorrow! I would eat the $50 and buy a Lumia 1020 or 925 or the 8X or even the Samsung Ativ S Neo if it were offered. But so far this has satisfied my need for a WP8 device and for $50 is really a great deal!

My comment about my wife moving from Android wasn't meant as a knock against it, but just to let others know that if you have someone new to smartphones this is a great starter OS. She is not very tech oriented and her opinion so far is that this is much easier to navigate for her. Just a suggestion for those on the fence.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I am curious though. Is USCC allowing the use of WiFi hotspot for tethering with this phone without the need to pay additionally for tethering or is that automatically added for this device? Or does USCC block the hotspots connection to the mobile network unless it is on your account?

Would be curious if USCC is allowing it just because it is windows or what....

I must say, after having my work PC go through three ridiculous updates taking 20 minutes each time and then trying to get my in-laws windows 8 machine setup and going through the updates with it also I still have a sour taste for windows.

But it is nice to hear there is a good phone option now with USCC!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, so far it is a winner.

As far as the WiFi hotspot. There is a setting labeled internet sharing and all I do is turn it on and it shows up as a connection. I so far have connected 2 at once. Works great. I have an older family essentials 1500 plan with 5 GB and almost never used but 2GB a month. So no it is not blocked and unless it was included, which I don't think it was, I don't have tethering. But I am not sure if it can be monitored and will just show up on my bill next month. I'll let you know for sure.

We have not updated to Windows 8 at work yet and I have not at home either. The only Windows 8 machine I have is my Surface Pro running professional. Since I purchased it in March I can not recall any updates taking much more than 10 minutes and most only take 2-3 minutes. Was that at first start up? I guess if it had to "catch up" to today it might take that long. I assume you mean just the install right? Because with my terrible 1.5 MB/s at home the downloads certainly take more than 20 minutes sometimes. 

I must be really patient or really lucky because trust me, if I had any issues with updates and such I would have NO issue voicing my opinion about it. I am not defending it, just stating my experience as it is. I personally prefer the Windows 8 machine over my Win7 gaming power house for most of my needs. Now part of that is the touch interface. I have not used Win8 on a desktop without the benefit of touch. I used my daughter's laptop with only a touch pad, but that wasn't bad because the touch pad gestures filled some of the gaps. I am sure you heard that there is a big update before the end of the year called Blue or 8.1 that is supposed to address some of the desktop short comings, but we'll see how that works out.

While I for the most part enjoy my windows use, MS is really bad at marketing their wares LOL. Who ever there thought it was a good idea to throw out such a different OS without easing their customers into it was drunk! Their releases don't always goes as planned either, late and not as promised disasters I would even say. They should call the Xbox One the 180 after a complete turn around on the DRM policies, what a joke! So yes they are their own worst enemy, which is a shame because they have a good products. So while I agree their methods suck, I think they are moving in the right direction for the new technologies ahead of us and it may be a very interesting future if marketing doesn't screw it up.

Sorry dB I was bored this morning :-) You had to mention the desktop on my "Phone post" didn't ya LOL

Just my warped opinions sent from my awesome Surface Pro 128! :evil:

Buelligan how much USCC bloatware is installed on the device? And is it removable?

Is there any noticable lag with the phone? I know wp8 isn't as much of a resource hog as android is. But the specs are mid-range android specs.

If android disappeared I'd probably get a windows phone. I'd have to get over the fact I hate Microsoft. I literally only have windows on my PC because I want to play games.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Buelligan how much USCC bloatware is installed on the device? And is it removable?

Is there any noticable lag with the phone? I know wp8 isn't as much of a resource hog as android is. But the specs are mid-range android specs.

Actually the ONLY things on the phone from USCC is Your Navigator Deluxe and Slacker Radio I assume, not sure where who installed it. And yes they can be uninstalled.

Samsung has 3 Apps installed called Now, sort of a news and weather hub, Mini Diary & Photo Editor, but they can also be uninstalled

Also there is ZERO lag so far, butter smooth. The only "lag" isn't really, it is network access because where I live the cell service can be spotty on occasion.

I agree with the specs, that's why i'd drop this tomorrow if a higher spec was offered. but to be honest for $50 this thing handles everything I throw at it so far just fine, guess all I want is just more App storage. That's another negative vs. Android, it does not allow App installs on the SD card.

Edited by Buelligan

No bloat, you're content with its performance, it P's me off that that phone had 1 crap-app AMD the S4 has....wait for it....57!?

Not counting little "unseen" crap

I'm glad you like it, thank you for the review. I'll have to recommend the phone now.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If android disappeared I'd probably get a windows phone. I'd have to get over the fact I hate Microsoft. I literally only have windows on my PC because I want to play games.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If Android disappeared", that's funny! Like that will happen any time soon. Not.

I'm just curious, and I may open a can of worms, but why such hatred for MS? While I don't care for Google and their products, I can't say I hate them. Competition is good for you and me. I don't care for their data mining, but know full well all of them do it to one extent or another. I feel Android is sort of like the first Windows mobile. Trying to cram a desktop OS experience into a mobile device. For techies, that's great, I am one, which was why I bought into the WinMobile, I had a pocket PC, it was grand! When I went to the new OS WinPhone 7 it was a shock, but what I found was, I prefer my mobile experience to be a little more simple, I am much happier, it works for me. So while I may poke at Android sometimes, I get it, cool OS. But I think for an average user it can be a bit overwhelming in some cases. And Apple is too simple, a kid's toy, if you will. And the Windows falls in the middle, just right, for me anyway.

No bloat, you're content with its performance, it P's me off that that phone had 1 crap-app AMD the S4 has....wait for it....57!? Not counting little "unseen" crap I'm glad you like it, thank you for the review. I'll have to recommend the phone now. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WOW, 57? Really? no wonder I get asked about the dreaded "bloatware", I had no idea. No problem on the review, this site has been a great resource and I am happy to give back.

Also based on my personal experience, I really think this is a good OS for those new to "smartphones" and those looking for a little simpler. The half dozen people I have talked into switching from android have all made one common observation, easier to navigate and figure out than what they were used to. Based on that I really believe it to be a good alternative for new users and it may do well if it is at least offered.

Also, any gamers on Xbox, this thing is a no-brainer. Ties in well with your Xbox Live account, gamer scores for mobile games, Avatar access, friends messaging, beacons, the whole experience on a phone! I just installed Halo - Spartan Assault on my Surface-Pro, Verizon has a 30 day exclusive, and while not an FPS it is pretty neat. I'll let you know how well my "mid-range" phone handles it when its available. So far it handles every game with smooth frame rates.

EDIT: A perfect example, I just went to the official website, and on the home page they have a "live" 4 page banner and they can't even be bothered to announce a NEW OS offered, its all Android. I think they would do well to let their customer's know they offer a "choice" instead. But what do I know LOL.

Edited by Buelligan

I was planning on leaving uscc for Iwireless in my area because they have 4g (hspa+, cough 3.5g) and I could save some money then buy an unlocked Nokia or a nexus 4. Which is good enough for when I need data when I'm not on a wifi signal. But after finding out they completely lie about there 4g coverage areas on there site. And there edge network is so congested (30-40 kpbs dl and around the same on upload). And Sprint's network is garbage. It left me with only at&t (garbage network in my area) or Verizon. And Verizon my bill would jump almost 30 bucks a month for less data.

And after having an galaxy s3 its hard to drop down the screen size to 4". I know I tried since I bought a zte render off ebay for cheap to play with. Which it wasn't a bad phone but what company puts 4gb of memory on a smart phone with no way to expand it. I even opened the phone up to see if I could put a bigger card in it like you could do with the htc 7 pro and the sd card is actually soldered to the board. So hopefully this phone sells good so they get another wp8 like the ativ s neo which is coming out to Sprint soon.

I'm half tempted to get it but I want to see about the Moto X first. The S4 isn't that much of a jump from the s3 for me to consider. Even though I'm getting bored with Android. And the fact that if you want to get any updates at a decent rate or at all you have to put another rom on it. Which can be buggy as hell. Microsoft was smart with wp7 and wp8 since the updates come from them and they really don't have to deal with the carriers much. And all the bloatware every carrier adds to the phones which make you root it unless you want daily updates from there spyware/annoying programs they install.

1) I love the phone just for battery life alone! 3-4 times what the HTC 7 Pro would last.

Got any screenshots?

Screenshot of what specifically? I will edit that after some actual math its really twice as much. With moderate use I drained the Pro in about 6 hours. But seem to get about 12-14 hours. I unplug at 6 am and get low battery after 9 pm, normal days use.

1) I love the phone just for battery life alone! 3-4 times what the HTC 7 Pro would last.

Got any screenshots?

Got to remember I don't think there is a better battery stats for windows..

Is there a compatible app?

On a side note, what the heck is up with no outlook support for pop email anymore? Force you to get an outlook.com email in order to check pop email in Windows 8.... lookout its outlook... guess it is Microsoft wanting to intercept and track your emails with the new way of getting pop email... I went through almost 2 hours fighting it before I gave up and told my mother inlaw she is SOL for using outlook express as it doesn't exist anymore. Your forced to use a redirect outlook.com or just stick to using the web access to get your mail...

And for them I was forced to turn off the windows updates as their Internet connection is only 768k download so it would take a long time. Bad enough Norton has to update virus definitions to keep the PC protected. Glad I don't have to worry about that as my four year old laptop out performs this new laptop...

Back on topic. Keep us advised on the hotspot use and billing. If they allow it for one why not all? Not jealous but I don't recall uscc having windows only plans or blackberry only or Android only plans. Pretty sweet though only one bloat app.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Actually there were over 40 various types of "battery" apps with a search of just battery. So I downloaded one to get better stats. I just have no use for anything other than percentage so the page in the OS settings works for me. Not one to care much about it in that sense. When the little icon is almost empty I look for power so it never dawned on me to look. LOL I just judge by how and when I have to charge. I unplug about 6:30 am and by 3-5 pm I was usually looking for a charger. Here it is 8:30 and I still have 29% and I spent a little more time playing with it today.

Thank you, because just a day of "actual" numbers I clearly see my perception is off a little. While it feels like 2 times as long it is not quite that long. I will correct my posts to reflect what I get over the next week or so. To be fair I did say it was my "first impression" LOL

While I am here, I also discovered that some of the Apps I deleted were from Samsung. I was curious and looked at hers to find that Mini Diary, Photo Editor and Slacker Radio were not part of the OS. So there were a few others.

Were those apps more like bloatware then? Sounds like it might be to me...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes I guess by definition they were. So between USSC and Samsung There were 5 total so far. Hard to tell sometimes, as a lot of the Apps use the same "Metro UI" and feel like OS baked Apps. And since it's just a matter of tap and hold to bring up a menu with "uninstall" and it's gone, not much of a bother.

I like the commonality of the UI as it makes it easy to navigate most Apps. They all do many different things with a familiar interface.

I don't really consider a couple apps that can be uninstalled bloatware. Now if they couldn't be uninstalled or there was a dozen of them which brought up annoying pop-ups/reminders. Like the Galaxy s Aviator. I would be annoyed. But that is the one thing I like about wp8. MS still has a lot of control of the OS.

I don't really consider a couple apps that can be uninstalled bloatware. Now if they couldn't be uninstalled or there was a dozen of them which brought up annoying pop-ups/reminders. Like the Galaxy s Aviator. I would be annoyed. But that is the one thing I like about wp8. MS still has a lot of control of the OS.

I agree with you, that's why I said "I guess by definition", and for me there was NO annoyance factor, 2 quick clicks and GONE! Like I said somewhere else, MS kinda fell in the middle. Locked down a little like Apple but not with proprietary ports and such so you can have some freedom without the issues with being so Open Source as Google stuff. I feel it is a nice middle ground. Not perfect, I know, but a nice compromise I think. And for the most part all my stuff just works now because of the standards they put in place.