/0/0/0 Taking up all my Internal Storage - Galaxy Note 2 ROMs Q&A/Discussions - TeamUSCellular

Photo

/0/0/0 Taking up all my Internal Storage

Note 2

16 replies to this topic

#1 chalice712

chalice712

New Here

• 6 posts
  • Device:Galaxy Note 2

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

I am running Pacman 22.1 on USCC Note II.  Decided to try stock again, did nandroid backup, did a full wipe, restored stock and got a MD5 mismatch error.  Restored my PAC backup and all of a sudden I am down to almost no space on my device.(had about 5gb free before).  I look in Astro and I have a bunch of these /0/0 duplicate files and folder structures.  I looked into it and apparently it has to do with multiple user config in 4.2.2 and is caused by using a recovery that doesn't support this feature?  I have flashed a couple of different roms since Feb (Carbon, Paranoid, Pac), so I guess it has been building up.  I also looked and found out that I am no longer rooted in PAC. ExynosAbuse v 1.4 says that Exploit is patched, Patch at boot disabled.  My device is (currently) not vulnerable.  I may have unrooted way back when in an attempt to get Google Wallet working on stock before I flashed my roms.

In looking at the forums here and at XDA, a few people have mentioned that when installing a new rom, you can format internal sd to clear up the /0/0 problem.  My question is that if I do that, will I lose my recovery and bork my phone?  Is the recovery stored and installed on the internal, not on the emulated sd card on the Note 2?  IF it is on the emulated, can it be moved to the external sd card?  Also, should I install a stock version to re-root my phone if I can in fact fix the /0/0 problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 14,831 posts
  • Device:S5

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

Delete the extras.

Sent from my SCH-R970U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

(Devices I've owned)

S5 - S4 - S3 - EM - E2 - E1 - Moto X - Nexus 4 - iPhone 5S

The importance of commas:
Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#3 chalice712

chalice712

New Here

• 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

Done!  Deleted everything contained in the sub-folders with no side affects other than freeing up 4gb of space.  Any ideas about wiping emulated internal sd during flashing, how to get root on PacMan, and where recovery is stored?

#4 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 14,831 posts
  • Device:S5

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

PAC man has root

Idk where recovery is stored, don't wipe that

When you flash a ROM 99% of the time it has a script to wipe 0 anyway - emulated is your internal, its just named that. Same thing.

Factory reset wipes it.

Sent from my SCH-R970U using Tapatalk 2

(Devices I've owned)

S5 - S4 - S3 - EM - E2 - E1 - Moto X - Nexus 4 - iPhone 5S

The importance of commas:
Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

#5 na7q

na7q

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,658 posts
  • Device:Note II & Electrify
  • Google Talk:mike.ph4
  • Google Plus:117490729411959897180

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

PAC man has root

Idk where recovery is stored, don't wipe that

When you flash a ROM 99% of the time it has a script to wipe 0 anyway - emulated is your internal, its just named that. Same thing.

Factory reset wipes it.

Sent from my SCH-R970U using Tapatalk 2

Factory reset doesn't wipe this. Neither do ROMs...

Done!  Deleted everything contained in the sub-folders with no side affects other than freeing up 4gb of space.  Any ideas about wiping emulated internal sd during flashing, how to get root on PacMan, and where recovery is stored?

Your internal and external storages have nothing to do with the recovery and where it's stored. You in no way can wipe the recovery via the recovery or a ROM.

The reason for the 0 folders is because you have obviously clean installed several AOSP 4.2.X ROMs. Which sometimes doing this will create user profile 0. Aka folder 0 inside the internal SD. Then sometimes if factory reset or clean install a ROM it will for whatever reason add another 0 folder. This is where your main internal storage is located for 4.2.X ROMs. (/sdcard/0/)

Hopefully that all makes sense.

• bru_1 (W4NJE) and xonone like this

Donations to me can be sent here!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2014-1369138552-6.g

"just because you have an engine spot doesn't mean you can put in a jet engine"
- Zenzr

#6 chalice712

chalice712

New Here

• 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Just came back to check on this topic and saw the extra posts.  Thanks for the clarification on where recovery is/isn't located na7q.  This forum is always my goto for all things USC.  Thanks again!

Edited by chalice712, 23 August 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#7 lordz19

lordz19

Hanging Around

• 31 posts
  • Device:Samsung Note II

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

I was having the same issue. Really not that big of a deal except it drive me crazy. It wouldn't allow me to get rid of the top level /0 or remove the link to /emulated/legacy. I never tried adb to achieve this. Instead I Odined back to ME2 and now I'm starting over. When I odined I also repartitioned and I'm not quite sure where or when I got the PIT file. It bootlooped until I battery pulled and rebooted from stock recovery. Everything's fine except it seems as though my internal storage lost about 4GB in the process. I no longer have the directory structure that was driving me nuts, though. Any idea what happened to the missing space and how to get it back?

#8 na7q

na7q

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

If you were on 4.2+ you can't remove the top level as it's needed by the ROM. The used memory could've been used in the previous level of the folder.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

- Zenzr

#9 lordz19

lordz19

Hanging Around

• 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

It must get created when one flashes CWM 6.0.4.5? After I installed ME2 in Odin and then installed CWM in Odin in order to root that directory popped up again. After I installed ME2 in Odin it remembered my wifi password and the Kitkat wallpaper I was using. Why would those stay persistent? I thought flashing something in Odin deletes everything.

#10 bru_1 (W4NJE)

bru_1 (W4NJE)

Rectal Technician

• 958 posts
  • Phone #:5409471155
  • Device:SCH-R530U
  • Google Talk:southernstyle250@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:southernstyle250@gmail.com

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

did you sign into your google account? if you sign in, it'll restore such preferences.

CWM doesnt create that folder, not sure what would've caused it to show back up, as ME2 doesnt use the /0/ folder structure, it uses /data/media, but it's mounted as /sdcard. It's a confusing mess.

If you're not on ME2 (if you're on anything 4.2 +) you can check your internal storage by browsing to /data/media, and you can check there to see what folders are below the /0 folder. you will need a root capable file explorer to access that folder, though. 

4.1.X and below= internal storage  is in /data/media, but symlinked to /storage/sdcard0 (or maybe just /sdcard)

4.2.X and above= internal storage is in /data/media/0, but symlinked to /storage/sdcard0 (or maybe just /sdcard)

I think the /emulated is just another symlink of /data/media/0. in other words, emulated = /storage/sdcard0

if you don't wipe internal storage when flashing FROM 4.1.X to 4.2+, your existing data will remain intact, but will be inaccessible. 

NA7Q, correct me if I'm wrong on this. But these have been my observations

Edited by bru_1 (W4NJE), 11 January 2014 - 11:49 AM.

Hey Derp!

If I've helped you, why don't you click that 'Like This' button? Thanks!

Sent from my LG UX840 via EasyEdge

#11 lordz19

lordz19

Hanging Around

• 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

How do you wipe internal storage in CWM? Is that the format /data/media (or something like that)?

#12 lordz19

lordz19

Hanging Around

• 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

It is a confusing mess :-)

#13 bru_1 (W4NJE)

bru_1 (W4NJE)

Rectal Technician

• 958 posts
  • Phone #:5409471155
  • Device:SCH-R530U
  • Google Talk:southernstyle250@gmail.com
  • Google Plus:southernstyle250@gmail.com

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

easiest way to format internal storage is from within the ROM, assuming you're running a 4.1 or lower. I dont think CWM has an option to format internal SD. TWRP does, it lists it as "internal storage" under the advanced wipe option of the Wipe category. lol. 

maybe try TWRP? it's much better and easier than CWM, IMO. 

Hey Derp!

If I've helped you, why don't you click that 'Like This' button? Thanks!

Sent from my LG UX840 via EasyEdge

#14 na7q

na7q

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

You don't need to wipe it by the way. It's too simple to do it without wiping. Unless you've got nothing you care about.

- Zenzr

#15 na7q

na7q

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

did you sign into your google account? if you sign in, it'll restore such preferences.

CWM doesnt create that folder, not sure what would've caused it to show back up, as ME2 doesnt use the /0/ folder structure, it uses /data/media, but it's mounted as /sdcard. It's a confusing mess.

If you're not on ME2 (if you're on anything 4.2 +) you can check your internal storage by browsing to /data/media, and you can check there to see what folders are below the /0 folder. you will need a root capable file explorer to access that folder, though.

4.1.X and below= internal storage is in /data/media, but symlinked to /storage/sdcard0 (or maybe just /sdcard)

4.2.X and above= internal storage is in /data/media/0, but symlinked to /storage/sdcard0 (or maybe just /sdcard)

I think the /emulated is just another symlink of /data/media/0. in other words, emulated = /storage/sdcard0

if you don't wipe internal storage when flashing FROM 4.1.X to 4.2+, your existing data will remain intact, but will be inaccessible.

NA7Q, correct me if I'm wrong on this. But these have been my observations

In terms of folder paths in TWRP this is correct. Within the ROM. Just go to /mnt/shell/emulated/ and anything in this folder except 0 and legacy is from your 4.1 ROM. Anything inside the 0 folder is from 4.2+.

It must get created when one flashes CWM 6.0.4.5? After I installed ME2 in Odin and then installed CWM in Odin in order to root that directory popped up again. After I installed ME2 in Odin it remembered my wifi password and the Kitkat wallpaper I was using. Why would those stay persistent? I thought flashing something in Odin deletes everything.

Odin doesn't delete everything no.

• bru_1 (W4NJE) likes this

- Zenzr

#16 lordz19

lordz19

Hanging Around

• 31 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

You don't need to wipe it by the way. It's too simple to do it without wiping. Unless you've got nothing you care about.

Do what without wiping? And how would I go about whatever it is? :-) I did end up installing TWRP and formatting internal storage. I didn't have anything I cared about and there were files that I wanted to get rid of that I couldn't see from root explorer; ROM's that should have been able to do whatever with.

#17 na7q

na7q

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,658 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

I already stated what I was talking about. And you can see the files via root explorer. As long as it has root access.
You probably weren't looking in the right location. Everyone always seems to derp over this simple thing....

- Zenzr

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Note 2

1 2