gr33nd3vil

Walk Through for Root / Custom Recovery / ASOP Flash

I wanted to take a minute to help people who maybe struggling or such on the Galaxy S4, either rooting, installing custom recovery or otherwise...  Let's start out first by doing the following..

EZTuhEj.png

1.) Download CF-Auto Root from the following link... http://download.chainfire.eu/329/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jflteusc-jflteusc-schr970.zip - Credit Chainfire

2.) Download Odin - https://www.rapidshare.com/files/2117106813/Odin3-v3.07.zip

3.) Download Philz Touch CWM Recovery - http://d-h.st/AbO

4.) Shut phone down competely.

5.) Reboot phone in Stock Recovery which is Power on + Volume Down 

6.) Choose Volume Up

7.) MAKE SURE SAMSUNG DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED IF NOT DOWNLOAD THESE http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=4132034&CDCttType=SW&ModelType=C&ModelName=SGH-T959HABTMB&VPath=SW/201212/20121213040816385/Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

8.) Connect phone to computer

9.) Load CF-Auto-Root under PDA and click start

10.) Once phone has rebooted power back down

11.) Reboot phone in Stock recovery which is Power on + Volume Down

12.) Choose Volume Up

13.) Load Philz Touch CWM under PDA and flash

14.)  Now you have custom recovery & root

15.)  GO to the Play store & download Titanium Backup

16.)  Backup whatever apps you choose

17.)  Shut down phone once that is done

18.) Start phone with POWER + VOLUME UP, when you see the blue loading left upper side let go of buttons

19.)  make nandroid if needed

20.) We are now going to venture into unknown universes ;-)

21.)  Download Pacman ASOP Rom - http://pacman.basketbuild.com/download.php?file=main/jflteusc/release/pac_jflteusc-milestone.1.RC1.zip

* All in One Rom [CM, AOKP and PA]* PhoneUI, TabletUI, PhabletUI* Latest Version 22.4.0* Some Features from AOKP* All Feautures from PA* All Features from CM* Of course JellyBean 4.2.2

22.)  Download GAPPS - http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

23.)  Download Chronic Kernel ASOP - http://goo.im/devs/Albinoman887/jf/ChronicKernel-JFspr-v1.2.zip

24.)  Download Crossbreeder - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113150 (You do not have to use this, however in my opinion I feel it speeds up the phone)

25.)  Now if you have those downloaded it's time to have some fun!

26.)  Reboot phone into Philz touch recovery as we stated before

27.)  Wipe data/factory reset

28.) Flash Pacman Zip

29.) Flash Gapps Zip

30.) Flash Chronic Kernel Zip

31.) Flash Crossbreeder Zip (If you downloaded)

32.)  Go back to main menu on CWM & choose Advanced

33.)  Fix Permissions

34.)  Reboot phone

35.)  Let phone sit for 10 minutes then resetup phone

36.)  Reload Apks from Titanium Backup

37.)  You should be set!

Misc -  Nova settings that I use

#Desktop layout

Desktop Grid - 6 x 5

Width Margin - NONE

Height Margin - NONE

#Drawer

App Grid - 6 x 5

#Dock

Width Margin - NONE

Dock Height - Medium

#Look & Feel

Icon Them - iChrome

Icon Size - 100%

Scroll Speed - FAST

Animation Speed - FAST

App Animation - System

#Unread Counts

Install if you want them

#New Apps

UNCHECK Auto-Add Shortcuts (Very annoying if you dont want apps on main screens)

PACMAN Settings:

System Settings > Advanced > Sensors > Turn off backlight keys (Drains battery in my opinion and annoying)

The rest are all toys & tweaks you can play with along with Paranoid Android Prefrences enjoy!

HOW TO UPDATE

* Download the latest version* Reboot to Recovery* Wipe dalvik cache and cache* Flash the ROM* Reboot your phone* And enjoy the latest version of PAC

DISCLAMER

* By flashing this, you automatically void your warranty!* If your phone breaks or run away from you, do not cry to us!* Do not ask for ETAs

WEBSITES

* PAC-Rom site * PAC Forum* PAC Gerrit* PAC Github* PAC Stats* PAC Google+

CREDITS

* Papa Smurf 51* Cyanogen & his team* AOKP* Paranoid Android* PAC Team * PulseDroid (Pac Team Designer)* Goo.im (For Hosting)* andromirror (For Hosting)* basketbuild (For buildbot)* Google* Ropodope* jamieg71* kendallc123         If I somehow missed you, first off, I apologize. Please PM me so I can remedy my oversight

MOG8AGD.png

Edited by gr33nd3vil

A very nice write up but I am running into some issues. Every time I attempt to get into the stock boot loader, it just says downloading and it doesn't seem to go beyond that point. I am running under Window 7 and it does seem to show a modem under devices. The one thing that I did notice is that when I look on the Windows side, it doesn't say that it loading drivers. Is there something I need to do on the Windows side or the device side to move to the next phase of your instructions?

A very nice write up but I am running into some issues. Every time I attempt to get into the stock boot loader, it just says downloading and it doesn't seem to go beyond that point. I am running under Window 7 and it does seem to show a modem under devices. The one thing that I did notice is that when I look on the Windows side, it doesn't say that it loading drivers. Is there something I need to do on the Windows side or the device side to move to the next phase of your instructions?

Wait what? Slow down an start over if your in download mode you hit volume up then connect to PC then open Odin an load file into PDA then click start.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

I'm already rooted without custom recovery can I push this recovery in via mobile Odin?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Yep

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks man I'm just getting back into! Now trying to feel my way through this s4 its seems pretty close to the s3 as far as flashing Roms and so on!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

It is very similar in my opinion. The only thing I have seen on the s4, that I did not see in the s3, is the loss of data when flashing. Not sure where that is coming from. You will do just fine.

What data? You shouldn't have a loss of data that I know of lol.

Many people at reporting that they loose 4g data etc and only get WiFi after flashing. Not sure why it is happening but it was happening to me and somehow I got around it.

OHHHH that data. 

Derp. I thought you meant like your sd card was wiped or something. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to post before noon I guess lol.

Yeah seems to be a CM bug that really isn't getting any attention. 

What data? You shouldn't have a loss of data that I know of lol.

Many people at reporting that they loose 4g data etc and only get WiFi after flashing. Not sure why it is happening but it was happening to me and somehow I got around it.

which ROM?

Most ROMs are fixed...

Not sure if I could pinpoint a ROM at this point. It was all of them but at some point in my flashing I figured it out.

Is this root method still valid for NKI?

My wife doesn't want her S4 to update to lollipop so she is letting me root it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Why don't you just TWRP + SuperSU? That's much easier IMO

Thanks

Why don't you just TWRP + SuperSU? That's much easier IMO

They are the same process either way... Just depends on what your preference is, hemaynot want a different recovery.

Then flash CWM and supersu. It's literally the easiest way to root.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I would do twrp first but I would have to do it twice as there is no odin tar file for the latest version. That is why I do cf auto first...