Sign in to follow this  
xxdbkxx

Flashing a USCC Note 2 to work on Sprint Network

So....wouldn't you know.  Just ported my GF's number over to my Sprint account with a iPhone 4S last night, and she's already dropped it in the tub.

She had a Galaxy Note II with USCC that is sitting here not being used, can I flash that over to the Sprint network and get it working?

I have some experience with flashing/rooting/etc with my previous Sprint phones, but I currently have a EVO 3D that is a ***** to root properly....so I kinda gave up on it awhile ago and have been away from the scene.

Any help is appreciated.

Craptastic Root Helper is step 1?

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/3547-updated-82013-us-cellular-faq/

2nd question down

EDIT:

Workshops that clone ESN's are illegal, and you'll never gain equal quality to what even roaming on the original carrier would offer. Data would be sketchy, at best (if at all) - calls could be far worse than before, dropping and cutting out beyond the point of useful. SMS and MMS are possible, but MMS is a toss up, seems to be hit and miss.

So those possible issues (issues will be present, device/carrier combos will lessen or worsen the situation)

Some users on here may have experience with these workshops, if they see this and wish to do so, they can PM you with their help.  However, since it is illegal to do so, we can't have that explained or discussed in the open forums.

Yup, I already read that it CAN work......getting it done is my next objective.

It seems pretty straight forward, compared to the old days of WM and especially compared to my EVO 3D.

I'm assuming that I had step 1 correct in using the Craptastic Rooter.

I'd also assume that flashing to a Sprint ROM would be step 2?

God, I had assuming.....

No, simply flashing roms wont do anything but brick the phone (or soft-brick).

I have no idea what the steps are, you may try googling "CDMA Workshop"

But we can't discuss any further about it on here.

OK, thanks for the info.

I wasn't trying to clone an ESN, I was under the impression that I could basically convert the phone to work on Sprints network....then call and have the service switched to the Note's ESN.

even if you could convince the people at sprint to activate that ESN on their network (not sure of the mechanics of that) the LTE would never ever work. 

The only way for you to do it is illegal. Since Sprint doesn't allow non-Sprint phones on their network.

You need a Sprint phone. Simple as that.

The only way for you to do it is illegal. Since Sprint doesn't allow non-Sprint phones on their network.

You need a Sprint phone. Simple as that.

1+ Same applys to Non USCC phones on USCC Network. They WONT allow it. Trust me... Some guy wasted a hour of my life trying to get a Sprint S3 working on USCC network. Never pay bills during work ;)

Sent via SCH-I925U Note 10.1 LTE

OK, thanks for clearing all that up.  I really appreciate the information.

Guess we'll keep the iPhone in the bag of rice, keep it dehydrating and hope for the best!!

Are you guys sure that it's illegal? As far as I know, if you OWN BOTH phones that you're playing around with the MEID with, then it's not illegal. To the OP, yes it is possible, and it's not much more difficult than flashing a Sprint phone to Boost Mobile. I'm not going to discuss the specifics because being a newbie here, I don't know all of the rules and regulations, but it IS possible to get talk/text/3G/MMS working without any Error 16's popping up. You've just got to be able to wrap your head around troubleshooting, and understanding NV items. If this is already too much, I'd recommend taking the phone to someone who knows what they're doing. I've had WAY too many customers come to me because someone messed up their flash to Boost (which would be the same process as flashing from US Cellular to Sprint) and they get dropped calls, texts, and the deceiving 3G icon when they only have 1xRTT (2G). The guys earlier mentioned CDMA software, and they were correct. You'll need a quality USB cable, a computer/laptop, the software and the know-how.

If you are swapping/cloning/changing ESN's it is 100% illegal. It's is a FEDERAL CRIME. It is considered fraud.

Source: FCC.gov

Now if you wanted to use the phone on a carrier that allows any device on their network you are legal to do so. As you are only changing the MIN. Which is legal as long as it's not used for cloning another phone :P

Source: Pre-paid Carriers

The FCC defines Cell Phone Cloning Fraud as reprogramming a phone to be active on someone else's account without them knowing it and them paying for your "hacked" service (http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cell-phone-fraud). Yes, under these situations I can see totally where it'd be illegal since...you're not paying for service and you're using someone else's account. If you own both phones though, there is no malicious activity going on. I just know that a few other forums, particularly androidforums and XDA (can I mention those sites around here...?) have eased up on their policies over the issue of MEID/ESN repair because it was no longer deemed illegal (again, if you own BOTH devices). The FCC site isn't even clear on whether this is illegal or not.

I think we have a volunteer to test it out!

Let's get the supreme court warmed up for this one ladies and gentlemen!

I don't know about anyone else but tempting federal laws... I will sit back and watch the trial on my phone when it happens... :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4

The FCC defines Cell Phone Cloning Fraud as reprogramming a phone to be active on someone else's account without them knowing it and them paying for your "hacked" service (http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cell-phone-fraud). Yes, under these situations I can see totally where it'd be illegal since...you're not paying for service and you're using someone else's account. If you own both phones though, there is no malicious activity going on. I just know that a few other forums, particularly androidforums and XDA (can I mention those sites around here...?) have eased up on their policies over the issue of MEID/ESN repair because it was no longer deemed illegal (again, if you own BOTH devices). The FCC site isn't even clear on whether this is illegal or not.

It's illegal because it's fraud. ESN's are device specific. Changing it would be fraud. Ask the FCC. It's on their page. The same one you linked. 

"Every cell phone is supposed to have a unique factory-set electronic serial number (ESN) and telephone number (MIN). A cloned cell phone is one that has been reprogrammed to transmit the ESN and MIN belonging to another (legitimate) cell phone."

Changing the ESN alone in itself is not necessarily fraud or illegal (if you own the devices). It's only the moment to which you try to activate it or use it on ANY network that it becomes fraud (for obvious reasons).

Welp. That pretty much sums it up.

Exceptions: ESN repairs due to device or manufacturer error

Edited by na7q

I guess if you read between the lines and see how the English language can be mistaken read the following...

"After cloning, both the legitimate and the fraudulent cell phones have the same ESN/MIN combination and cellular systems cannot distinguish the cloned cell phone from the legitimate one. The legitimate phone user then gets billed for the cloned phone’s calls. Call your carrier if you think you have been a victim of cloning fraud."

Now to me, as I read that, which was taken right from the FCC website, even if you own both devices, there are two different accounts involved, whether they are yours or anyone elses, it is still not legitimate...  

I don't know about anyone else but tempting federal laws... I will sit back and watch the trial on my phone when it happens... :)

Lmao. Well, I guess that sums it up. The FCC could've worded it a LOT better though, or at least been more specific.

And there is only one account involved when "cloning/flashing" a phone to another carrier. Two phones, one account.

Lmao. Well, I guess that sums it up. The FCC could've worded it a LOT better though, or at least been more specific.

And there is only one account involved when "cloning/flashing" a phone to another carrier. Two phones, one account.

Sorry, if it was two phones one account then you wouldn't need to clone anything... as you would just call in to activate the other phone.

It is two phones two carriers two different accounts.

I have yet to see the ability to put a sprint account on my uscc account or vice versa, much less get a phone from one or the other and activate on the others... they are two different companies...

I have done it many times . It is NOT illegal to repair an esn using a Donar Phone . I have a uscellular Galaxy s5 on Sprint network . Works perfectly talk text and data . No Flashing persa just the prl . You have to disable the sim card with a hidden menu.So 3g only no 4g which is good becaus ethe phone is on a ringplus accoun t with limited internet data . No dropped calls and text works with stock app. We destroy the Donar phones and use the Sticker . Then we activate the phone and pre program the provided min mid and sid . Thats it . I am a 2nd class Fcc Licesned Technician and a former uscellular tech . Changing esns for an owner of both phones is fine and you are not defrauding anyone . Also you cannot have two phones with the same esn . They will not work and one of them will be flagged code 16 so it is impossible to Clone a phone for illeagal use these days as the carrier has sofware to detect the slightest difference .. I will not provide any information to do this but it requires special software you have to buy and a lot of Knowledge .All Uscellular samsung ,HTC,LG products can change carriers. Just as any uscellular phone be activated on verizon as well . and vise versa..

It is as simple as buying a cheap throw away sprint phone and a used bad esn state of the art phone of your choice on ebay for cheap .. the only carrier that cannot be changed is Att or gms phones . Sprint is CDMA as Uscellular is as well . 

Edited by gadgetmaul

Lol wow. I didn't know have an fcc license gives you extra rights. Not sure why you brought that up. I have an FCC license too. It grants me a lot but not extra rights.

I'm not so sure about the ESN stuff. It's debatable. As technically speaking, changing any ESN on any phone to one from another phone is illegal. Regardless what you say. That is fraud. If it's made for one phone and used on another, that is fraud. So if it doesn't belong to the original phone or is original in itself to the phone, it's illegal.

So repairing an ESN to a phone is legal because that ESN is for that phone. But a donor ESN to a jacked up ESN phone = illegal.

Sam Sam Sam. 

Edited by na7q

I have done it many times . It is NOT illegal to repair an esn using a Donar Phone . I have a uscellular Galaxy s5 on Sprint network . Works perfectly talk text and data . No Flashing persa just the prl . You have to disable the sim card with a hidden menu.So 3g only no 4g which is good becaus ethe phone is on a ringplus accoun t with limited internet data . No dropped calls and text works with stock app. We destroy the Donar phones and use the Sticker . Then we activate the phone and pre program the provided min mid and sid . Thats it . I am a 2nd class Fcc Licesned Technician and a former uscellular tech . Changing esns for an owner of both phones is fine and you are not defrauding anyone . Also you cannot have two phones with the same esn . They will not work and one of them will be flagged code 16 so it is impossible to Clone a phone for illeagal use these days as the carrier has sofware to detect the slightest difference .. I will not provide any information to do this but it requires special software you have to buy and a lot of Knowledge .All Uscellular samsung ,HTC,LG products can change carriers. Just as any uscellular phone be activated on verizon as well . and vise versa..

It is as simple as buying a cheap throw away sprint phone and a used bad esn state of the art phone of your choice on ebay for cheap .. the only carrier that cannot be changed is Att or gms phones . Sprint is CDMA as Uscellular is as well . 

I dont believe it.

WEll come here and ill prove it to you . or may be a video chat and ill show you . I dont lie bud.send me a sprint donar and a us cellular S5 or s3 or s4. Ill turn it on for life on Sprint network free to prove it .Who turns on phones for free? well there is indeed a sprint carrier that does and its not freedompop..

I have been in the Electronics and programming since the first bag phone from Motorola and the first Brick phone all of them reparible .

The only one i cannot fix is the Motorola Android series and Koycera..They are on a read only chip but all others are on a chip that is reprogrammable.what dont work is 4g lte. I disable it and there is a hidden menu . you have to edit a parameter in root to access it . This is known and common knowledge if you google it . ALso disabling 4g and sim card is also common knowledge..as well as the password to gain access .and dongles that can repair a hard bricked phone as well as jtags and paid cdma for repairing all phones and radios..

Edited by gadgetmaul

No - not that part - the part about it being legal and data working.

What you just said - about LTE not working but everything else does - we've known that for a long time.  That's how it has always been.