McDaddy Tree

ROM Rebuilding

15 posts in this topic

I just want to know how easy it would be to unzip a ROM and take out or add whatever APK's and sounds and such I wanted and rezip it for flashing in CWM...is it as easy as unzipping and doing so and then zipping or is there more to it?  Because I've unzipped ROMs to get sounds and apps and images out of them so I figured it might be easy enough.  That way I can take a ROM I want and semi-customize it before I even flash it.

I too am interested. I want to further get into building but I know nothing currently.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks...someone else suggested that on G+...next time I flash a ROM I may give this a try as to save some time on downloads and stuff...

Use 7zip and just go in and delete the apks... no need to unzip

If you unzip it then zip it back up, the signatures get broken and you won't be able to flash. Like snod said, use 7zip. It allows you to view and modify the archive without disturbing the signature of the zip file.

- Sent from my Galaxy S3

So it's really just that easy?

So it's really just that easy?

Yes.  If you are just looking to take out/add apk's to an existing flashable zip.

Would ROM Toolbox work?

You mean the app for your phone?  No.  There may be apps that allow you to do this on your device, but I would recommend doing it via computer.

I tried with the latest HyperDrive 9 using 7Zip and I don't know if I deleted something that shouldn't have or added something I shouldn't have but it looped right back to CWM...but I had the original so I just flashed that.  May give it another try some other time and see if I can make it work.

I didn't...I just found the file and went in and deleted and then added stuff.  I was able to install the ROM without it giving me an MD5 error so I thought I would have been good to go but when I rebooted it looped back to CWM.  The aroma installer worked and everything without error.  IDK.  I didn't unzip anything because I read earlier that would break the MD5 sum and would error and not even install.  That's why I'm kind of assuming I screwed up something along the line.  I did change the SU from SuperSU to Koush's SU app so I don't know if that's what did it but I'm about set up now so I may try again next HD release.

just use Total Commander (Win) or Double Commander (Mac) to copy the apk to ROM zip. You can also delete files you don't actually need.

ROM signature should be preserved. Of course if we're talking about custom ROMs.

7zip works too.  Don't unzip, just open the zip in 7zip application and add/remove what you want.

ROM Rebuilding is the easiest thing in the world to do. Any archiver, zip, 7, Rar will work as long as when you zip it you use the .zip format and don't use compression ("store only" mode.)