Just became eligible for an upgrade and am leaning heavily toward the moto x. A buddy just got an S4 and it had better signal numbers than my em. I had the S3 and went through 3 of them with signal issues until they sent me the em. For anyone that has had or does have both the moto x and S4 is one better than the other as far as signal? I know all the other differences. Signal and being able to make calls, especially in fringe areas, is my biggest decision maker.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

The S4 is better than the 3, never drops calls or anything its solid.

The moto x is lacking compared to the 4 IMO.

If it were my call, I would get a S4 without hesitation.

I've used both and its an easy decision.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Moto X would be my recommendation.  

I have had the E, E2, S3, N2, S4 and now the X.  My wife has the M so I'll throw that in to the mix as well.  The S3 was a lemon so I won't even include it from here on.

I live in a rural area in Nebraska.  I spend time in a decent signal most of the time but we do farm ground in a very poor signal area.  So that field is a awesome "test ground" if you will.  It is a hilly farm so there is a wide range of areas to give any phone a good workout.  While there is always seemingly some differences in the bars, and dbm measurments, I'm basing this off of real world use.  Some on these forums will say Motorola jacks with there signal strength readings yada yada yada, but I'm putting all of those readings aside.

In the end, the X preforms as well as any of the other phones listed.  It dropped a call in the same bottom areas that the other phones have. It held on through areas where other phones occasionally would drop out.  In the end, I really can't provide a clear winner on signal between the S4 and the X when it comes to signal/call abilities.  They both did really well.  Where I can say that I saw the noticeable difference was the way the X pulled in data.  I rarely had a hiccup when it came to data.  I do a lot of browsing while driving the tractor around the field and the X wins that category hands down in my experience.

I used the S4 for a while with stock TouchWiz.  And it always felt bloated.  I'm not saying it felt laggy, just a heavy UI.  I decided to root and flash some ROMS to lighten it up a little and try to get some better battery life.  I really enjoyed using Cyanogenmod.  I really learned to appreciate it's simplicity.  I flashed some different kernels along with it but never achieved what I felt was acceptable battery life.  Some guys on the S4 forums will go on and on about there battery life but I could never get there.  I'm not going to tell you the X is anything that will get you tons more life, but the couple few extra hours I get out of it really made the difference between almost getting through a day and always getting through a day.  My usage usually has somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 hours screen on time and 45 minutes of calls.  Off charge at 7am and on the charger at around 10pm.  Usually with around 15% left.  I have Bluetooth, WiFi, gps, touchless controls, and active notifications all on.  The one thing, as on any phone, that will kill my battery is screen brightness.  I have a mix of brighter outdoor environments and indoor usage on a typical day.  But the days when I am on it a lot while in a tractor (lots of ambient light) it will bring it down notably faster.  That is one thing to consider.  Some folks who are in an office all day and can have the back light set lower will surely benefit at the end of the day.  I use a simple, handy little app called Brightness Level.  It's a quick easy way to lower the brightness without getting into something more complex like LUX.  And most of the time, the 25% setting gets me through surprisingly well except for full sun outdoor conditions.

OK, so the last thing I'll touch on is the phone itself.  What a awesome size.  It feels great to use.  The 4.7" factor is perfect IMO.  And seriously, the active notifications are awesome.  Not having to hit the lock button to have the screen light up with the time and unlock slider it great.  The Google now thing works better for me after the update.  I haven't had to repeat the OKGN deal since the update. (I used to have to repeat it sometimes to get it to work) The near vanilla Android is really nice.  So easy to work with.  Mind you the feature set isn't going to touch the stock S4 but that isn't all bad.  Is there a point when too much stuff is too much stuff?  I think so.  And the crap about the mid range internals is ridiculous.  Are the numbers less than the S4, yes.  Is the performance less, not even close.  This thing hasn't presented any lag at all.  And it's not uncommon for me to be switching between spreadsheets, calculator, and email pretty quickly and have never had a hint of lag.  And the screen, to me, isn't a step down from the S4 in a everyday use scenario.  

Motorola has a gem with this phone.  I haven't regretted switching for a second.

I have the Moto X and have had no signal problems. Talking is perfect since the update a week ago. Such a solid phone I know a few people with it and everyone loves it!

Sent from my Moto X

I will add one thing, lux is extremely simple to set up, and I'd be more then willing to help anyone having issues/questions.

Sent from my SCH-R970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Real world use is what is was looking for. What the dBm numbers are don't matter to me.

I will hold the majority of my side of this as I've never used an X, but the S4 does well, and is a good option should you use it.

Sent from my SCH-R970U using Tapatalk

Edited by Zenzr293

But all the truly B.A. kids are getting the iPhone.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Well I'm definitely not a B.A. kid. :)

And just to clarify, I truly don't think you'd be disappointed if you were to choose the S4.  Just two different schools of thought behind them.  Either will be leaps and bounds ahead of you OG Electrify!

I actually am receiving a Moto X soon, thanks Motorola! I use an S4 generally for the good camera. I will definitely be doing some extensive comparisons before deciding between the two. Call quality and camera performance matter most to me.

I'm already leaning towards the Moto X due to the form factor and stock OS. I don't mind touch wiz, but prefer the experience on my Nexus tablet. Excited to play with functional touchless controls/active notifications.

I have the S4 while my wife has the X.  Both are top of the line phones that will not disappoint.  With that said, it's all in how you use it.  If you take a lot of pictures, the S4 is better.  Same with the bigger screen on games and video but just by a hair.  

My decision to switch to the X when the opportunity presents its self are due to the over all size and smoothness of the OS.  My hands are smaller and can to reach many places on the S4 with out positioning.  The camera is good enough and fast and the screen is plenty clear for me.  X in day to day is just easier and smoother to use in my case.

I don't have the X but I wouldn't get it if you like messing around with different ROMs  the development is lacking in motorola phones these days

That's also a good point. If you want to get into any kind or dev or customizing from rooting, Motorola devices are generally less popular then Samsung.

However if you're just going to use it stock, it really depends which one you like better. Touchwiz can feel very bloated, though I do kind of miss my stock camera lol. 

Edited by Zenzr293

I'm over the custom stuff. I have flashed almost every ROM for every phone I had. None functioned as smooth as stock IMO. Give me root and xposed framework and I'm good.

Then it just comes down to what you like. Though stock on the X I'd probably rate higher then just stock Touchwiz. 

I'd take Moto skin with Samsung everything else. XD That way I actually own the phone and can do what I want with it. Moto just doesn't have anything but the skin to offer. Unless you're a standard user who uses it strictly as a phone and internet. No apps or fun. Then it's reasonable. But still not that good for the price.

Apparently the new update made ours water proof like IOS7. Wife's sat at the bottom of the toilet for ten seconds this morning. So far so good......

Side note, this the only time I was like.... Dang I can't take the battery out.

Sent using opposable thumbs

Edited by mweba