crimpshrine

KitKat 4.4

Oh I know what you meant. I was just teasin.

Themz jus jokes

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I ought to know you by now...lol

Here it is July and still no updates yet so much for a couple of weeks and according to the update page the M is suppose to get it

Any new word how the KitKat update is coming as far as being tested or released for the Electrify xt901

Edited by Billc47

Does anyone still believe that US Cellular will invest in getting KitKat 4.4 ported/tested to a phone they discontinued months ago?

they say they will 4.4.2  with the 4.4.4 patch right from Mark on the Motorola forum  and even though it says it is discontinued they are still selling them on the web 546 no contract and preowned and .01 on contract and preowned. Verizon has one called the luge and the specs i see are identical to the Electrify M and are selling them and they come with KitKat on them. Now all im doind is stating facts i know do I believe we will see it definetly not

Motorola doesn't have the final say - US Cellular has to decide if they want it on their network and Kit Kat 4.4 won't go out to the Electrify M until US Cellular has convinced themselves that it won't cause problems.   For them to invest time and effort to port and test this on a phone that has no promise of any added revenue simply doesn't make good business sense. 

Add to this the inevitable increase in calls to their support team, which is another business expense beyond that of testing it on their system.   I think Kit Kat 4.4 on the Electrify M goes into the category of 'promises unfulfilled'. 

I just don't see it happening (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

IMO the only reason they won't update phones quicker is they have to change their own bloatware to work on the new updates, which seems to be proving nearly impossible since they havent rolled out any updates past 4.4.2 for 6 months - while EVERY app essential to the function of the phone works perfectly fine (proven by Nexus and Google Play editions of the devices) - so that leaves one common factor, bloatware.

US Celluar response for KitKat is for me to buy one of three Motorla phones with Kitkat on them two Moto X's and a first generation of the Moto G .

Now depending on who you get at Motorla just last week i spoke with customer support and i got two different people one called Eddie said the only update is jb4.1.2 and if i need Kitkat i should get a custom rom and the other said the M is still gettig it but can not say what day,month or year  which is telling me they are looking at the update page just as we would and really does not have a clue , I will buy a new phone but alot people on here says Motorla is great on updating seeing what i have seen with not just the M but the rest of them i disagree so If I get another Motorla it will come from Verizon

Because neither the manufactures nor USCC ever communicate much about updates, it’s difficult to know where the lag in timely updates lies. It could be that the manufactures prioritize which models they focus on based on the number of active devices, in which case USCC, being smaller than the big carriers, will always be prioritized lower. Or it could be that USCC doesn’t want to invest in the updates, either because of the bloatware update cost, or simply other costs associated with updates.

I’m suspecting more and more its USCC’s fault. This is unfortunate because they are going to gain the reputation of being the carrier to avoid if having an up-to-date smartphone is important to you. That’s becoming my perception of the situation.

Similar discussion and frustration exists with Windows Phone. I don’t know if USCC lags more or less than other carriers.

One thing Apple did right is to retain control of when and how their devices are updated. No fragmentation because they are the sole manufacturer, and the carriers aren’t involved in the update process at all from what I’ve heard.

There's been hints that with android L Google will keep more control over updates. Whether that will actually happen remains to be seen though.

While I hope that is true it seems unlikely. At most they can require OEMs to put more google apps on their phones, at least that is my understanding. Unless they go all in and just require stock android on all devices. Even if they required stock android (with some moto like customizations) it would be impossible to reign it all in. I'm also guessing that OEMs would sooner build out there own version of android (at least the open source part) and cut out google entirely if that were to happen.

Edited by kobester

I think the camera is 40% responsible for the final picture and the person TAKING the picture is 60%

Especially on a phone.

I'm shaky as crap, i'm a caffeine drinker, i cant thread a needle no matter how bad i want to - my pics would SUCK.

Doesnt mean the camera is crap, it means that the user didnt take a good pic.

There's been hints that with android L Google will keep more control over updates. Whether that will actually happen remains to be seen though.

Shoot, people have been saying that since ice cream sandwich. The unfortunate reality is that were the very small minority that is even aware of what version our device is on. Most people just don't care, and are likely annoyed with updates as "everything changed, where's this at now?" USCC would probably rather not deal with that headache. Edited by TG

Yesterday I received a push of kitkat 4.4.2 but when i try to install the update it starts the install but fails about a third of the way through. I have deleted unused apps, removed the sd card, and performed a hard reset. Any suggestions on how to get this update installed?

I also received the update and downloaded and installed fine if i was you i would post this in the Motorola feedback on their forums i believe this is the type of information they are lookinfg for and will be able to help you.I inserted a link to it hope it works

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/92e2031aca

Edited by Billc47

Thanks for the information and the link to the Motorola forum.  After posting on the Motorola forum I discovered that the phone was modded.  I then went to the US Cellular store and had them flash factory jellybean on my phone.  Once this was done the update was successfully able to install.

I was already to upgrade my girlfriends phone ith no issues at all. The only issue there is now is all the bloatware is now installed again and can't be removed. Can I go into fast boot and use RSD Lite to flash back to the Jelly Bean stock ROM?