PSA: potential IMEI harvesting in the working root method (kingoapp) - Note 3 Development - TeamUSCellular

Photo

PSA: potential IMEI harvesting in the working root method (kingoapp)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 md5hash

md5hash

Becoming Kewl

• 60 posts
  • Device:Note 3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

https://pay.reddit.c...picious_by_xda/

As read on reddit. I'm not trying to spread FUD, and Kingo offers an explanation (on facebook), apology, and promise that the IMEI collection will be removed from the next version.

However the Reddit thread does rightfully  mention that it's extremely suspicious that any rooting app would require internet access to work. We'd prefer to have the root method stored locally in the download so we can tell what it's doing.

• BoгИX likes this

#2 BoгИX

BoгИX

Amazing... Enough Said

• 2,658 posts
  • Device:SGS3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

I knew that app looked fishy. Called it weeks ago!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

#3 xonone

xonone

Almost The Best

• 838 posts
  • Device:Nexus 5; Note 10.1

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Ya, it did look fishy. A root method for all phones ,locked or unlocked bootloader. Nope! Sent via SCH-I925U Note 10.1 LTE

Edited by xonone, 07 November 2013 - 08:27 PM.

KremlinFriedChickenRed3.gif

Phones: SCH-R950 Samsung Galaxy Note II (Retired); SCH-R970 Samsung Galaxy S4 (Retired); LG Nexus 5 (T-Mobile Active)

Tablets: Asus Nexus 7 2012 (Retired); SCH-I925U Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 4g LTE; Samsung ATIV Tab 3

"I did not choose the thug life..."

#4 Shelby04861

Shelby04861

Pretty Darn Amazing

• 1,249 posts
  • Device:samsung galaxy s4
  • Google Talk:Matthew.Holloway365@gmail.com

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think it may have been blown out of proportion a little. They explain why they gain internet access and take your phones information. It is to verify the type of phone and download and install the needed drivers. I know this is supposed to be a simple program to use and that is just one step. I see where people have just cause for concern as well though. They did respond saying they would remove that part in the next update though. In their defense though, how many times do we have to spoon feed people the right drivers for their phone. I think think it was intended for the people who have the inability to dona simple Google search for "Samsung galaxy s4 drivers" etc. How many times have we seen that.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
  • VIthe3rd and Holden45 like this
If it's broken...beat it into submision until it works!

#5 Holden45

Holden45

Kewler Than Kewl

• 281 posts
  • Device:Galaxy S3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think it may have been blown out of proportion a little. They explain why they gain internet access and take your phones information. It is to verify the type of phone and download and install the needed drivers. I know this is supposed to be a simple program to use and that is just one step. I see where people have just cause for concern as well though. They did respond saying they would remove that part in the next update though. In their defense though, how many times do we have to spoon feed people the right drivers for their phone. I think think it was intended for the people who have the inability to dona simple Google search for "Samsung galaxy s4 drivers" etc. How many times have we seen that.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

I'm with you on this one. Yes some parts do seem fishy but how else could it know exactly what phone and drivers to download for along with successfully root your phone. Do I wish I notice on their site was posted Absolutely. Time will tell I suppose.

#6 VIthe3rd

VIthe3rd

Amazing Person

• 405 posts
  • Device:SGS3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

I really don't care. So maybe some info was taken when I rooted. To be honest it was a easy way to root and disable all the bloat ware apps. And if you really think about it USCC, Face Book, Google and your bank has more info you that you freely give to them every day than this program could have taken in 15 mins. Even if it was disclosed that this info was going to be taken in the TOS, you would have zipped through it and accepted it anyway.

Edited by VIthe3rd, 07 November 2013 - 10:50 PM.

• snodrog742, iRub1Out, Holden45 and 1 other like this

#7 iRub1Out

iRub1Out

Dance Puppets, Dance!

• 13,280 posts
  • Device:S5

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Lol. So true.

Besides, if they REALLY wanna be nosy about my usage... They're going to be a lot more uncomfortable than me if its brought up publicly.

Want it? Take it. You'll look away soon enough. Lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

• Lawman1911 and Zenzr like this

(Devices I've owned)

S5 - S4 - S3 - EM - E2 - E1 - Moto X - Nexus 4 - iPhone 5S

The importance of commas:
Let's eat, Grandpa!
vs.
Let's eat Grandpa!

1 2