ttxtri

US Cellular version of IPhone (World compatible?)

Question

In doing some investigating of the exact model I got for my wife I think this phone is a world phone? IF you check the tech specs:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

the cellular information for the CDMA version of the phone is:

• Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)
  • Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)
  • Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't this phone be able to be used worldwide with a different sim card? If it is I might just have to get one so I can avoid taking 2 phones on business trips. I can just use my Hong Kong sim crd at the airport and keep my local number there, no?

243 answers to this question

I have confirmation that the iPhone 5s is in fact world capable.

You put the sim card from wherever you are traveling in it and it will work.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I have confirmation that the iPhone 5s is in fact world capable.You put the sim card from wherever you are traveling in it and it will work.Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

From what I remember, every iPhone after the 4 is required to be world capable by contact. Even the USCC 4S is world capable even though it's only 3G.

I have confirmation that the iPhone 5s is in fact world capable.You put the sim card from wherever you are traveling in it and it will work.Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Do you need uscc to unlock before you travel?

Also has anyone tried a tmoblie or att sim ?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

There are some misconceptions about this, its not world compatible right from the get go. They first have to be unlocked, this can be done from a trusted eBay seller or if you convince your provider that you need it(haven't tried with uscc yet).

Also, just because its world GSM capable does not mean its reverse compatible. From what i have heard(and i own several iphones ive attempted this on), not just any cdma phone will work on USCC, they are USCC proprietary. Which sucks. Sitting here staring at 4 brand new cdma iphones in box...kinda bummed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not unlockable

I called uscc.

It WILL NOT work on GSM networks in the US. Period. The end.

It will work outside the us without "being unlocked" that thing about needing some guy on eBay is not true at all. Call uscc, tell them you're traveling, simple as that.

Straight from uscc tech tier 2.

The FAQ I was talking about is our USCC FAQ - very first link on the forum, very top.

There are no other "methods" "hacks" whatever, its pure and simple.

Just like any world capable phone we've had as far as I can tell.  Never needs unlocked, just a sim and carrier that runs on the frequency this phone picks up and outside US. Gsm domestically will not happen

Ok, so if "my" uscc iphone 5s goes to panama permanently, all I need is a sim card for the carrier in that area?

Question 2: technically, that means the uscc iphone is "unlocked", right?

Edited by MattO

Why would you do that?

Buy a iPhone in Panama. The uscc one won't work on all of the frequencies, probably won't be as good.

Permanently? Idk why you would do that. I doubt it would work.

No its not unlocked. Its a world phone. Its still locked to uscc WITHIN THE UNITED STATES.

Not unlocked. Just capable of using most gsm networks around the world. Its still a uscc phone in panama. Its still international roaming on a carrier down there.

Why don't you buy a fully unlocked one from apple if you're going there permanently? That makes FAR more sense.

Reason being is that I have a buddy who sells used cell phones. He is coincidentally from panama. He buys iphones here for 500 (from friends) and ships them to his brother who sells them there for 800+. I was gonna use my upgrade and make 300 bucks seeing as how I just got a gs4.

Why would you do that?Buy a iPhone in Panama. The uscc one won't work on all of the frequencies, probably won't be as good.Permanently? Idk why you would do that. I doubt it would work.No its not unlocked. Its a world phone. Its still locked to uscc WITHIN THE UNITED STATES. Not unlocked. Just capable of using most gsm networks around the world. Its still a uscc phone in panama. Its still international roaming on a carrier down there. Why don't you buy a fully unlocked one from apple if you're going there permanently? That makes FAR more sense.Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I don't want to buy an unlocked phone from Apple because it is too expensive and hard to justify the cost for two months a year. I will be getting the iPhone from US Cellular in March and will try the sim card route while I am in Asia for the month. I will still bring the work phone with me like usual but if it works on my personal phone with all my contacts isnt that a win win? I am just not understanding exactly why it won't work? Does Apple provide USCC with a carrier specific phone so they can lock it down? I just can't find anything that says it can or can't in fact be done by switching sim card because the phone is a sim card driven phone.

Its not Sim card driven by nature. Its CDMA driven.

The Sim card is for LTE only and uses gsm bands overseas only. It is not a gsm phone - its NOT designed to be Sim swappable.

Its built and designed to work on Cdma - using a gsm sim will only work on a few other countries - idk which ones. But an unlocked one from apple would be capable of working anywhere.

In doing some investigating of the exact model I got for my wife I think this phone is a world phone? IF you check the tech specs:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

the cellular information for the CDMA version of the phone is:

• Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)
  • Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)
  • Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't this phone be able to be used worldwide with a different sim card? If it is I might just have to get one so I can avoid taking 2 phones on business trips. I can just use my Hong Kong sim crd at the airport and keep my local number there, no?

I have tried every day since the phone was released to verify if US Cellular will allow this phone to be used outside the USA as a world phone.  I get mixed answers time and time again and a lot of uncertainty (and conflicting answers) from most US Cellular customer service and technical service reps.  However, after all the hours of time spent trying to determine conclusively the answer, I still feel that I don't know for sure.  Keep in mind that US Cellular's website STILL DOES NOT list the iphone (of any variety) as a world phone.  Select that option when you are searching for phones, and as before, only the very dated 3G HTC Merge appears.  One helpful rep on USCC chat stated the following to me today: "Good morning. I had a customer who inquired about that yesterday and when we checked with our technical support team, we were advised that our iPhone will not be world-phone capable. I do understand it the general description of the iPhone mentions world-phone capabilities but I've been advised that the option to make the device a world-phone was not one we selected."  I will not vouch for the accuracy of this statement, but I would say it is worthwhile noting when considering this phone as a world phone.  US Cellular seems to have NO INTEREST whatsoever in having world phones since moving to 4G handsets, unlike Verizon, who offers many of them.  Until US Cellular puts something official on their website or facebook page saying that it will work outside the US and/or if their SIM lock prevents it, I would err on the side of caution and consider it as NOT a world phone until further official notice.  They need to put an end to the ongoing misinformation and guessing and just let us know one way or another.  US Cellular, are you listening???  We aren't trying to steal your phones and go to Verizon or anybody else.  We just want our US Cellular phones to work outside of America when we need them to on a temporary basis!  We are not all criminals!!!!

Have you ready anything but the first post?

You won't have LTE but you'll have a working phone in a few countries outside the US.

We've covered that in this thread. I called and got confirmation, their site says "faster speeds and coverage across the world" - so...uh...yeah they did say that. Just not as obvious as you expected.

Have you ready anything but the first post? You won't have LTE but you'll have a working phone in a few countries outside the US. We've covered that in this thread. I called and got confirmation, their site says "faster speeds and coverage across the world" - so...uh...yeah they did say that. Just not as obvious as you expected. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Just as I have called MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY times (several hours worth of calls over the past several days) and the answer varies from agent to agent, at low levels to higher level agents.  The most recent "official word" from US Cellular chat just today said no, as I pasted above.  They say the website does not produce the iphone as a world phone when selecting that as a search option since the marketing team didn't want to misrepresent it as a world phone, when it was decided that it would not be.  Does your one confirmation come from the highest ranking technical services engineer at US Cellular so that we can put an end to this uncertainty once and for all?  Please don't get me wrong.  I hope you are right.  However, if you only received one random confirmation that it works against several I have received from other US Cellular employees that say no (among some that also say yes), that doesn't make me comfortable enough to say 100% yes, as you are saying.  Can you please verify with other "well connected" US Cellular top-level sources to be sure?  Trust but verify is always a good policy.  Most of what US Cellular posts about the iPhone on their website is just boilerplate generic Apple marketing wording.  It doesn't seem to be very customized to US Cellular yet.  US Cellular isn't know to be quick to update their content.  They still say they have "no contracts" on their official YouTube page as an example of their lax editorial control.

Its not unlockable by the terms you're needing, though.

Uscc will allow it to work on some networks outside the US. That's a very different definition than "unlockable" - idk if panama is even one of the countries it will work in.

I'm just afraid you might think it works differently than it does.

Its a CDMA phone roaming in another country. That doesn't necessarily mean it will use that network in full or reliably. That's why I wish uscc would finally come out with it and explain it.

Agreed. Uscc needs to just say whether or not it can unlock to use as a world phone.

Agreed. Uscc needs to just say whether or not it can unlock to use as a world phone.

AMEN to that!  US Cellular has been asked this question in the Q&A section of the 16GB 5s on their website.  They have not replied to the user.  I had a USCC rep tell me the best way to get a definitive answer would be to send this question to the social media team, either via Facebook or Twitter.  Any Team US Cellular forum users out here with the same question want to tweet (or facebook) them about this?  We aren't getting anything official, in print any other way. Sigh...

Perhaps that is the next best thing to try.

AMEN to that!  US Cellular has been asked this question in the Q&A section of the 16GB 5s on their website.  They have not replied to the user.  I had a USCC rep tell me the best way to get a definitive answer would be to send this question to the social media team, either via Facebook or Twitter.  Any Team US Cellular forum users out here with the same question want to tweet (or facebook) them about this?  We aren't getting anything official, in print any other way. Sigh...

I can ask them if no one else does lol. What do you want me to ask?

I can ask them if no one else does lol. What do you want me to ask?

Ask them to answer this question directly on their own iPhone 5s Q&A page (page 2 currently).  They have ignored it for four days.

"Can I use this out of the U.S.?

I need a phone that will work in Africa. Will this work for me?

4 days ago

Customer avatar

Wendy A

Oquawka, IL, USA"