Lacrocious

Device Status "Custom" after latest update...

13 posts in this topic

I just received the latest update.  I have not rooted or done anything custom with the phone.  Thought about it, but just haven't had the time.  Anyway - the update went in just fine.   As I am poking around the phone to see what is new/changed/etc. - I get to the About Device --> Status screen.  What do I see - the "Device Status" = "Custom".  What gives?  It now looks like I rooted or mucked around with the phone when it is actually stock.  I tried the "Software Update" to see if there there are any other updates and it says I can't get updates as my device "...has been modified".  What gives?  Anyone else run into this?

- L

How did you get to that update?

Had you ever rooted it before at all?

Knox may not be tripped tho.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Do you have flashable zips or root apps on your external or internal SD card?

- Sent from my Galaxy S3

I got a better one for you. I forgot to run triangle away before flashing stock on my wife's s3. Then I did the ota update, now Odin mode shows this. Posted Image

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

So... Custom binary downloaded, official system folder, official binary in use, and idk what the rest means...

Lol. Looks legit to me.

hey, if i have to send it in for warranty, knox is kosher, and it's all official. the fact that it has a custom flash count of 1 is irrelevant, I guess.... lol!

I have never rooted or flashed anything.  No flashable zips - the only APK I know of on the SD Card is Tasker that i downloaded and backups performed with Helium.  Would that do it?  It doesn't need root.

The biggest thing is that it appears that I am no longer eligible for future updates.  I guess I don't expect KitKat on the S3 and I won't have it too much longer - so it doesn't matter that much.  The only thing is if I try to sell it - it looks like it has been mucked with.

How can I check the Knox counter?  (like I said, I never got around to digging into rooting, etc.)

Oh Well.  I wonder what USCC would say.   

- L

boot into download mode: 

power off phone

press and hold: Vol DN + Home + Power, it will come up with a warning about custom firmware blah blah blah press VOL UP to continue, and you'll see a screen similar to what I posted. 

Mine is all 100% clean, except it says custom binary download: yes (1 count). If that said No, then everything in my picture would be stock, pure, unmodified. 

Edit: to get out of download mode, pull the battery. then power it back on normally. 

Edited by bru_1

Thanks for the how-to on checking the download mode.  Mine looks just like yours, except that "custom binary download" is "0".  I guess I am OK for the time being.

- L

My wife's did the same thing after mja and we had issues and I had to do a factory reset!! After that the status went back to official and didn't change with mk2 I still Dont know the reason! But the reset fixed for me

Hmmm....  will have to give that a thought (and Helium a full device test) this weekend.

- L

Hmm I had like 20 flash counts in download mode then I odined to stock then ota'd to 4.3. I never used triangle away yet mine says official. I haven't checked my flash counter since updating since I really don't care, I'm way out of warranty.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

OK - so after giving it some thought I decided to do the factory reset.  It was working OK after the upgrade, but some things were just a bit sluggish and after more thought - things just felt not 100% right.  This along with the strange Device Status caused me to go for it.  I had previously tested my Helium backups by restoring a few apps - but never have done a full restore.    So - I did a full backup to my external SD Card in my phone as well as another backup to my PC and away we went.  I am almost fully recovered.  The restoring of the app data via Helium worked for all but one application that I restored.  I didn't restore all apps - I decided I didn't need all the crap to begin with - so didn't restore everything.  There is one game that didn't restore properly.  Not a big deal.  I have one more backup to try restoring from, but it isn't much of a loss if it doesn't work.   I have to give a big thumbs up to Helium for a backup without root!!!!   =D

After the factory reset, my download mode is unchanged - it looks like Bru_1's picture, except that "custom binary download" still is "0".  Additionally - my Device Status under Settings->About Device->Status now shows "Official".  

To me, this means that the install of 4.3 didn't complete 100% until after the factory reset.  Maybe it was good enough, but the phone just felt like it was sick.  I can't quantify it, but it doesn't feel sick anymore.

- L