robotech

iPhone = NO VOICE MAIL NOTIFICATIONS..... Unless you use Cellular!

Question

Heads up all - if you get a new iPhone with US CELLULAR - you will LOOSE your Voice mail Indicator!!! Or anything  notifying you that you have a voice mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil:  Unless you use cellular data you have to have your WIFI OFF and your Cellular Data ON then you get voice mail notifications. :evil:

Both Apple and US CELLULAR are refusing to make any exceptions - that is the way that it works.

So in the OLD days if you have a voice mail waiting for you - you get a notification.  Now the ONLY way that you will get that Notification is if you have DATA turned on. ( and your wifi off)

So please beware that the new iPhone Lacks a feature that was very important - the ability to get voice mail notification(s) with your cellular data turned off  - 

Now this may not be a problem for some people - a lot of people live their lives with Cellular data turned ON -

Old phones had the ability to give you a notification that a voice mail was waiting for you - but the new iPhone uses visual voice mail - a feature that CAN NOT BE DISABLED - so be CAREFUL when getting an iPhone and KNOW THAT YOU WILL LOOSE VOICE MAIL NOTIFICATIONS with cellular data off !!!!!!!!!!

Please people, I want some Input here as to whom else is having problems with this?  I think that US CELLULAR did not think this through - every bit of DATA used costs toward your usage - so if you have say a 300 Mb account  - and get hundreds of voice mails you will use up your data real quick.

PLEASE GIVE FEED BACK HERE - Of problems with Voice mail on iPhones with US CELLULAR...........

I Feel a bit dupped - like I have LOST a feature - unless I PAY more for it - IE use data!  I am STILL waiting for a supervisor to call me from US CELLULAR

- they where " to busy" to talk to me today........ and will call back within 24 - 48 hrs ( the 4th day of calling and waiting for over 25 Min on hold!)

I am just being a dork here ? Or should this just work to send you a notification over cellular like a text message or something that you have a voice mail?  My OLD PHONE gets my notification that I have a voice mail waiting for me! <-- OOps

I literally have spent hours on the phone with US CELLAR - They are nice - but their tech support people do not have an answer - other than to turn off your WIFI and turn on Cellular Data!  What a CROCK -

Perhaps US CELLULAR was NOT ready to carry the iPhone - I know that I have been waiting YEARS for this -but loosing a service may be to much for me -

I have not made a decision yet - but may go back to my old phone - I can not miss knowing that there is a voice mail waiting for me !!!

Anyone else having issues missing voice mail notifications? ???? ???? ???  We need to get as many people as possible involved here -

EDIT - I lowered the font size for they where to busy to talk to me today -

Also here is some MORE info - it CAN be done - generally this is the CARRIER's ability - ( or lack thereof cause they are not ready)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3419227?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3419227?start=15&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19165832#19165832

And: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=348214

- Ill post this as a NEW thread - and not edit this any longer....

Edited by robotech

72 answers to this question

I don't have an IPhone but dont you get a notification on the phone icon with a number and then when you click on it you click the voicemail and they are there. This is how my wife's works anyway.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Was a portion of the a copy/paste?

Switches gears pretty hard and has excessive punctuation marks.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I'm confused, so you are saying that if you have data on (which I'm guessing 98% of people do at all times and don't even know how to turn it off if they wanted to) and have WiFi on, you won't get voicemail notifications?

Heads up all - if you get a new iPhone with US CELLULAR - you will LOOSE your Voice mail Indicator!!! Or anything notifying you that you have a voice mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(n) Unless you use cellular data - you have to have your WIFI OFF and your Cellular Data ON - then you get voice mail notifications. (n)

Both Apple and US CELLULAR are refusing to make any exceptions - that is the way that it works.

So in the OLD days if you have a voice mail waiting for you - you get a notification. Now the ONLY way that you will get that Notification is if you have DATA turned on. ( and your wifi off)

So please beware that the new iPhone Lacks a feature that was very important - the ability to get voice mail notification(s) with your cellular data turned off -

Now this may not be a problem for some people - a lot of people live their lives with Cellular data turned ON -

Old phones had the ability to give you a notification that a voice mail was waiting for you - but the new iPhone uses visual voice mail - a feature that CAN NOT BE DISABLED - so be CAREFUL when getting an iPhone and KNOW THAT YOU WILL LOOSE VOICE MAIL NOTIFICATIONS with cellular data off !!!!!!!!!!

Please people, I want some Input here as to whom else is having problems with this? I think that US CELLULAR did not think this through - every bit of DATA used costs toward your usage - so if you have say a 300 Mb account - and get hundreds of voice mails you will use up your data real quick.

PLEASE GIVE FEED BACK HERE - Of problems with Voice mail on iPhones with US CELLULAR...........

I Feel a bit dupped - like I have LOST a feature - unless I PAY more for it - IE use data! I am STILL waiting for a supervisor to call me from US CELLULAR

- they where " to busy" to talk to me today........ and will call back within 24 - 48 hrs ( the 4th day of calling and waiting for over 25 Min on hold!)

I am just being a dork here ? Or should this just work to send you a notification over cellular like a text message or something that you have a voice mail? My OLD PHONE gets my notification that I have a voice mail waiting for me! <-- OOps

I literally have spent hours on the phone with US CELLAR - They are nice - but their tech support people do not have an answer - other than to turn off your WIFI and turn on Cellular Data! What a CROCK -

Perhaps US CELLULAR was NOT ready to carry the iPhone - I know that I have been waiting YEARS for this -but loosing a service may be to much for me -

I have not made a decision yet - but may go back to my old phone - I can not miss knowing that there is a voice mail waiting for me !!!

Anyone else having issues missing voice mail notifications? ???? ???? ??? We need to get as many people as possible involved here -

Chill man. We all have problems, that's why we come here :)

Your issue does sound dire. But also I think you answered yourself. USCC was not ready for the iPhone. Give em hell. We are pissed that they jacked up rates and activation fees just before the iPhone debut to help them afford it. But now that nobody listened to us and there's an actual issue with the iPhone, please call them till the phone explodes. You'll get farther than we will!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I don't have a IPhone but this sucks for those that do and that care about voicemail notifications. I ran jellybomb rom and didn't get voice mail notifications for months when I finally switched back to stock I returned a call from one of the messages. They was like I left that message a month ago.

Who would be dumb enough to get an iphone(or any smartphone for that matter) with a 300MB data plan?

Exactly. If you can afford the phone then pay for at least a GB of data...come on..

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

You can get a smartphone with 300MB of data?  I thought that low tier was for flip phones and easyedge?  

Either way, thats kind of a confusing bit of work to get a VM though.

Get more data and dont worry about it.

Also here is some MORE info - it CAN be done - generally this is the CARRIER's ability - ( or lack thereof cause they are not ready)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3419227?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3419227?start=15&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19165832#19165832

And: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=348214

Ace3166, on 08 Jan 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:snapback.png

Who would be dumb enough to get an iphone(or any smartphone for that matter) with a 300MB data plan?

This was really just an example - no I dont have 300 meg of data - that would be silly......  But the point is valid - if you do have that level and you have several hundred voice mails than you could run our of data quickly.

I'm confused, so you are saying that if you have data on (which I'm guessing 98% of people do at all times and don't even know how to turn it off if they wanted to) and have WiFi on, you won't get voicemail notifications?

Correct - if you r WIFI is ON then your voicemail notifications will not reach you - cellular has to be ON wifi OFF -

I also want to post here that I am sorry about being so pissed off and just switching topics a bit - I am / was pretty mad when I wrote that and not sure what else to do other than scream!

heheheh

:P

Me me! Minus the iPhone? Or plus the iPhone? ;-) Either ya I use like 300-400mb a month. Lulz

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

This doesn't affect android devices does it? 

Just the wonderful *choking on my word* apple devices?!

Correct - Nothing at USCC Has changed as far as I know - just the NEW Visual voice mail for iPhone is affected / that is the way it works - because USCC did not think it through and does not have an option to NOT use Visual Voice mail!

Was a portion of the a copy/paste?

Switches gears pretty hard and has excessive punctuation marks.

Yea I just tried to brain dump it all - so sorry for bad punctuation ( and lots of it) and rambling -  I am just really bummed that I can no longer get voice mail notifications with cellular off and wifi on - Dorks at USCC did not program things correctly, and their new billing systems are causing problems STILL......

Okay - so I need more feed back please - the basics - New iPhone - regular voice mail notifications no longer happen -( not visual voice mail)

Would be happy with no visual voice mail and just a notification - like the old days.......

Visual Voice mail only works when Cellular data ON and Wifi OFF - but USCC as of yet will not / can not DISABLE visual voice mail on their end so that plain old regular notification come in to let you know that you have a voice mail.

AND it has been more than 24 hours and USCC manager has YET to follow up with me -

So some feed back please:

Sshould I just suck it up and Use my data - or should I demand that I get the ability to have voice mail notifications like the old days -  even ANDROID will give you a notification that you have voice mail, and you can choose to check it or not......

Thanks!

Edited by robotech

I'd be returning it but would refuse the $35 stocking fee.  If needed, call 611, explain it and be very polite.  Maybe they didn't even know (they probably did) but maybe the agent didn't know or think to tell a customer.  Be reasonable and let them know you want to stay with them and just switching to an Android device will solve everything.  Demanding will not solve anything other than you getting pissed off and them not willing or wanting to help you.

<p>I'll play with my iPhone tomorrow, it just doesn't seem right that WiFi NEEDS to be off. That's just weird.</p><p> </p><p>Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Good point my friend - Ill keep the thing as an iPod touch - and go back to my flip phone, drop data and save $300 a year! -

I'd be returning it but would refuse the $35 stocking fee.  If needed, call 611, explain it and be very polite.  Maybe they didn't even know (they probably did) but maybe the agent didn't know or think to tell a customer.  Be reasonable and let them know you want to stay with them and just switching to an Android device will solve everything.  Demanding will not solve anything other than you getting pissed off and them not willing or wanting to help you.

It has been 48 hours and they still have not called me back - I think that pisses me off more than them not knowing how to fix my issue  / comply with my request to disable the visual voice  mail - 

I realized that if they could just simply disable the visual voice mail  - like people who disable visual voicemail on ATT so they can use their unified voice mail stuff- I would be good - but USCC can even call me back let a lone make a simple fix it seems -

Ill fer sure ask for a tun of credit - but I have to get through to them 1st!

Lol

:P

Edited by robotech

Okay - so I need more feed back please - the basics - New iPhone - regular voice mail notifications no longer happen -( not visual voice mail)

Would be happy with no visual voice mail and just a notification - like the old days.......

Visual Voice mail only works when Cellular data ON and Wifi OFF - but USCC as of yet will not / can not DISABLE visual voice mail on their end so that plain old regular notification come in to let you know that you have a voice mail.

AND it has been more than 24 hours and USCC manager has YET to follow up with me -

So some feed back please:

Sshould I just suck it up and Use my data - or should I demand that I get the ability to have voice mail notifications like the old days - even ANDROID will give you a notification that you have voice mail, and you can choose to check it or not......

Thanks!

You immediately jump that this is a USSC thing. I owned a Verizon iPhone for many years and the same thing happened. You realize that Apple has all the pull in this stuff right? If apple says jump, every single carrier says how high.

VVM is a requirement on IPhones as it is part of the contracted services that USCC will provide and enable to iPhone customers.

Don't just jump to conclusions that USCC isn't prepared. It doesn't matter because they are contractually obligated to provide VVM.

Edit: and why is USCC obligated to give you a credit? The phone is working as it is designed, you just don't like the way its designed. You should take your issue up with Apple.

Edited by MyPostsArentGood