Sign in to follow this  
doctorcaligari

Google Sells Motorola to Lenovo

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303743604579351163997405806?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303743604579351163997405806.html

Google sold Motorola handset division today to Lenovo, while keeping the Motorola patents.

What does this mean for our beloved Moto X? Will we get slower updates? Will the Moto X2 be re-skinned with a terrible interface?

Comments today from Larry Page indicated that Moto's 2014 pipeline was finished. Will we see more Lenovo influence/interference in 2015?

Sad shame, would love to have seen what Google could have done. Maybe the x didn't take off like they thought it would so they are cutting losses before getting to deep.

Have to remember Lenovo is the same company that bought or took over IBM... Business machines that is not the software side

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4.2.5 - non pro version.

I'm not too terribly concerned. Google was only ever interested in moto 's patents (which they are keeping) and for the most part they stayed out of the actual phone manufacturing. Lenovo has shown they are capable of producing good hardware. And lenovo will likely keep it as is, they likely want the infrastructure & talent here. 

Plus it's not like it's going to impact us at all. This could take a year or more to finalize (if it does, both US and Chinese PTBs have to approve it) and another year for lenovos influence to really start showing up. 

Lots can change between now and then. 

Reading thread on xda, holy cow. People thinking the 4.4.2 update will get pulled, going to return their just purchased phones, etc. It's an entertaining read. 

Edited by TG

They are going nuts on xda. Pretty entertaining, if you ask me. Being a so called developer website, you would figure that they would be more open to getting the latest OS from the developers there & not worry about what the manufacturer or carrier provides or who owns the handset. The google deal hasn't been approved yet & by the time all the dust settles the moto x will be eol. I think Lenovo makes good hardware & Motorola will be fine going forward.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk 2

Or...

Because someone has to... we can just roll out a lawn chair and watch the chaos unfold?

That's how I'd do it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Lol.  We gotta get LG before you can move to it

They'll be coming....says my very reliable source. 

Edited by Ace3166

Lol. We gotta get LG before you can move to it

I doubt that.

+1

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Lol. We gotta get LG before you can move to it

I doubt that.
+1

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

+1.5.

But no.. I think it could be good or bad.

There's no reason for US Cellular to carry LG when there major hard on is Apple, Samsung, and Motorola. The sad thing is there's more job postings for US Cellular then any other carrier I've seen in the last month.... It use to be giving up your first child go get in there now there hiring anyone.

Sure there is, they seem to want to be like every other carrier, so they have to have the phones of other carriers. People are leaving by the droves right now. An employee on here also commented on another thread about this basically saying the same thing. The only reason we wouldn't see it or them is if they would fail testing down the road. right now, I am confident in saying that they are in the works.

Ok, back to the topic, I may have went overboard. Will have to see how things shake out with this deal. Could end up being good.
Looks like Lenovo makes some nice phones. 

I hope USCC gets them. I'd be interested to try them.

Edited by Zenzr

I agree. My friend has had many Lenovo products and seems to be happy with them all. I think it'll be just fine. It may not be the Moto it is right now, but I think they'll grow too. 

I agree. My friend has had many Lenovo products and seems to be happy with them all. I think it'll be just fine. It may not be the Moto it is right now, but I think they'll grow too. 

Off topic but how do you have almost 3k posts  =o Didn't you join a few months ago?

Honestly I am ready for USCC to get any new hardware partners. I wouldn't mind seeing some flagship HTCs competing with flagship lenovorola devices.