Zenzr

[Official] Ubuntu, Mint, or something else? The Linux Hangout Q&A

I have one, but it is made on a Intel Mac. It's full Linux distro (Ubuntu) on an 8 gb USB stick. I can share links if anyone will find it useful. Windows, I'd have to research it out, but I'm sure there is something.

I've done that too before. Install the actual distro on my USB stick. But I've always had issues actually booting into it after. I've set the OS and the Bootloader to be installed on the flash drive too. 

Working in IT I have like 6+ 8-16gb flash drives I can use. So I want to try. I used to have my 2tb external partitioned, but I messed that up too. 

Edited by Zenzr

My mint is a persistent install on a flash drive. The only drawback, the drive it creates is only something like 4gb or maybe it is 8gb but I have a 32gb drive and it won't use the full drive. I am looking at mint fixing this on future releases.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

My mint is a persistent install on a flash drive. The only drawback, the drive it creates is only something like 4gb or maybe it is 8gb but I have a 32gb drive and it won't use the full drive. I am looking at mint fixing this on future releases.

I was thinking the same. I have it on a 8GB flash drive atm. I found a tool that does it for WIndows. 

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

post-7207-0-20197300-1406147007_thumb.pn

My VM, which is close to my home set up of Ubuntu/Mint

Edited by Zenzr

I was thinking the same. I have it on a 8GB flash drive atm. I found a tool that does it for WIndows.

I was going to use that one but found a different program to create the bootable persistent flash drive. Wonder if the pendrivelinux version will let me increase the persistent drive size....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I was going to use that one but found a different program to create the bootable persistent flash drive. Wonder if the pendrivelinux version will let me increase the persistent drive size....

I think pen drive Linux does allow you to change drive size. Pen drive Linux is what I use. I make a bootable USB, then install it from that.

I think pen drive Linux does allow you to change drive size. Pen drive Linux is what I use. I make a bootable USB, then install it from that.

Now your going to make me look at what I use. The program I use does it all makes it bootable, downloads the iso if needed, let's you adjust the persistent size, but like I said it limits it unfortunately.

Okay got it, http://www.linuxliveusb.com that is what I used...

Now your going to make me look at what I use. The program I use does it all makes it bootable, downloads the iso if needed, let's you adjust the persistent size, but like I said it limits it unfortunately.

Okay got it, http://www.linuxliveusb.com that is what I used...

I've used that before. It's not bad. I prefer YUMI or Pendrive Linux I think. 

Zenzr, check this out. I went back to what I really love...

That is nice, mine are all still generic

Just play around with different themes and wallpapers and such.

That's all I do lol. Play around until something looks cool.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I installed Linux Mint on my SSD on my Macbook. It's running pretty good. Running updates and stuff now. Only issue was it didn't install my wifi driver. I plugged in my usb drive in and it installed it surprisingly.

Now I'm tripplebooting. Windows 7, OS X 10.9.5, and Mint 17.

Edited by Zenzr

I installed Linux Mint on my SSD on my Macbook. It's running pretty good. Running updates and stuff now. Only issue was it didn't install my wifi driver. I plugged in my usb drive in and it installed it surprisingly.

Now I'm tripplebooting. Windows 7, OS X 10.9.5, and Mint 17.

What wifi card, run this in terminal 

lspci | grep -iA2 net

I'm not 100% sure. It installed the driver when I plugged in the usb drive I had so I'm all set. I tried installing Ubuntu instead and broke it though lol.

Whenever I have installed a new Distro (mint 17, Xubuntu, or Ubuntu) I've had to use a ethernet connection to download a driver so wireless can work. Kinda weird but it works...

I've only had to do that a few times. Ubuntu Usually installed the wifi driver for me. But Ubuntu had issues on 13.04 and 13.10 with wifi at my house. Mint didn't. My only issue is battery life. I've followed this guide here to install tlp, but I'm not sure how effective if at all it is. 

I've only had to do that a few times. Ubuntu Usually installed the wifi driver for me. But Ubuntu had issues on 13.04 and 13.10 with wifi at my house. Mint didn't. My only issue is battery life. I've followed this guide here to install tlp, but I'm not sure how effective if at all it is. 

I have TLP as well and I feel likes it working. Maybe it is maybe its not. But on my laptop I can go a whole day at school which is 4 classes with it on. I can get about 4 hours with it which is fine for me. It gets the job done.

What kind of laptop? today is my first test with it. I'm hesitant to go without my charging cord, but I have an hour class this morning to see how it does. 

What kind of laptop? today is my first test with it. I'm hesitant to go without my charging cord, but I have an hour class this morning to see how it does. 

A Lenovo G510. 1tb HDD 6GB Ram with a 5gb swap setup in Linux, intel i5 4200M(newest model) at 2.5ghz.

Its pretty damn good.

Lemme see if I can post my specs. They're nothing to shake a stick at... but eh it's a mac. You expect that lol. 

Its possible. I like chrome more, but it has all the other things running (like hangouts and what not.) Not that I couldn't close them lol.

Its possible. I like chrome more, but it has all the other things running (like hangouts and what not.) Not that I couldn't close them lol.

I agree yeah I like chrome but I think Mozilla is better for battery.

Probably. Could even try Midori or some other browser too for the least resource intensive operation.