Zenzr

[Official] Ubuntu, Mint, or something else? The Linux Hangout Q&A

So I had some complications with Odroid (think it was just a system fluke) so I canceled that and ordered my Pi2 from MCM electronics late Monday night/Tuesday morning. It will be here tomorrow! Having my friend 3d print me out a case instead of buying one.

#Supportlocalbusiness

Beginning to sound like a tennis match... Raspberry pi (some flavor) then odroid then Raspberry pi (some flavor).... ;)

I like the idea of having a case printed! Did you do a design for the case or was there one out there already?

There are literally thousands of cases for the Pi out there. The company that develops it not only made sure that it's compatible with just about all previous Pi software, but the size measurements are the exact same as the Pi b+. So you can go to a site like Thiniverse and look up Pi 2 or B+ cases. I'll link the 2 or 3 that I'm having him print out. 

Here is design one.

Possible 2nd case.

Rasbian loaded succesfully. Initial thoughts are great. Already looking at extras that I can buy to make it that much cooler. I think I definitely need to buy a wifi adapter. 

Lots of things from what I understand.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wow, so I would like to see a garden hose hooked up to it, then maybe a snowblower, oh a quart of oil...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Does it have USB ports? You can get an adapter for that.

Also, where is the garden hose, quart of oil, 4ft fluorescent bulb attached? ;)

Does it have USB ports? You can get an adapter for that.

Also, where is the garden hose, quart of oil, 4ft fluorescent bulb attached? ;)

4 USB 2 ports. :D USB video adapters suck majorrrrr though. I'm not a fan. 

Just ordered a couple winbook tablets from micro center online. A 7" (tw700 $59) for my 2½ year old son so we can load up movies or learning apps for him to use in the car or on the go in general. I ordered for myself an 8" (tw801 $99). I want to use it for a htpc. I paid a total after shipping 166 & change. The tabs both come with the full os Windows 8.1. Both come with their own 1 yr subscription of Microsoft Office. They both have a full size USB 2 port, mini hdmi, micro USB, micro SD card slot & a headphone jack. They both have baytrail processors. The 8" has Baytrail-TZ3735F Quad-core 1.33GHz Normal (1.83 GHz Turbo Mode), 2 gb ram, & 32gb internal storage. The 7" is half the ram & storage.

Hoping to put media on an external hard drive and loading up Kodi. hooking it up via hdmi & play it on my TV.

Just ordered a couple winbook tablets from micro center online. A 7" (tw700 $59) for my 2½ year old son so we can load up movies or learning apps for him to use in the car or on the go in general. I ordered for myself an 8" (tw801 $99). I want to use it for a htpc. I paid a total after shipping 166 & change. The tabs both come with the full os Windows 8.1. Both come with their own 1 yr subscription of Microsoft Office. They both have a full size USB 2 port, mini hdmi, micro USB, micro SD card slot & a headphone jack. They both have baytrail processors. The 8" has Baytrail-TZ3735F Quad-core 1.33GHz Normal (1.83 GHz Turbo Mode), 2 gb ram, & 32gb internal storage. The 7" is half the ram & storage.

Hoping to put media on an external hard drive and loading up Kodi. hooking it up via hdmi & play it on my TV.

That's awesome. I was actually reading about something similar the other day.

I actually ordered some extras for my Pi even though I said I wasn't going to.

I got some heatsinks (for Overclocking) and a new case. Hoping they'll be cool lol. 

Edited by Zenzr

Ordered this case (mainly for the heatsinks but the color is a nice touch)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFTE3II/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71nEIzY97TL._SL1200_.jpg

USB Wifi adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71P8Pfd7npL._SL1500_.jpg

Funny thing is I'm running my Pi with the Aluminum Apple Keyboard. Open Source software with the most closed source hardware. Kind of funny to me at least. 

Get one of those Bluetooth adapters just like the WiFi one. Too bad they don't have a WiFi and Bluetooth in one adapter.

Then add some storage with the same small size, say 64gb?

Edited by dBuster

Get one of those Bluetooth adapters just like the WiFi one. Too bad they don't have a WiFi and Bluetooth in one adapter.

Then add some storage with the same small size, say 64gb?

Im using my class 10 64gb SD card as the boot card. I think I'm set.

I have a few flash drives too for transferring music or videos.

What does that use for internet access?? Built in WiFi, I'm sure but would Ethernet to USB work, too?? I'm guessing so.

I'd want to use it for work to set up modems for customers and would need to connect directly to the modem, wired

Edited by HipKat

Built in wifi is how I'm connecting to the Internet. Not sure if Ethernet to USB would work. I might have to try that. It's full Windows 8.1, so I would expect it to work.

My Logitech USB receiver mouse worked flawlessly. My HP k4000 bluetooth keyboard did also. I do however need to buy a micro hdmi adapter (all I had was a mini adapter) before trying it out on my TV.

Also, after setting up the smaller of the 2 tablets last night it has just under 7gb free to install apps. I did not install Microsoft Office subscription on this one, but have until 12-31-16 activate the free key code on a tablet & a PC/Mac.

So far for 60 bucks, I extremely happy & I can't wait for the 8" to get here.

Edited by grad

Nice! I use an Asus Transformer now, which is bulkier than I need, but Ethernet to USB is how I connect to the modems, plus I can use it as a tablet for the software we use to add equipment, notes and customer's signatures. For 99.00, that's a steal!

Looks good Zen. I decided to go with Kodi instead for my ui.

I got to finish my testing of the Winbook TW802 (Full Windows 8.1 tablet) as a media streamer. I Installed Kodi, plugged in usb storage, a wireless keyboard with a trackpad, & hooked it up via hdmi. Works without a problem. I could even play straight rips .mkv files of my bluerays. While not as cheap as the raspberry pi2, I'm extremely happy with the $100 tablet. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

My big issue with openELEC is the mouse lags a LOT when playing a file. I'm thinking about downloading Kodi/XBMC for the pi and trying that out tonight.

Also my Twitch stream lagged almost constantly at home with WiFi. Granted my home internet speed is about 1/10th my school speed so I'm not sure yet what the issue is. I was plugged in at school though through Ethernet.

I thought too maybe about over clocking. But I don't really see anywhere where that helps with the mouse lag, it just seems to be an issue. Regardless I'm excited to download some movies and start playing them or streaming locally to my Chromecast.

Edited by Zenzr