iR1O

How to Stop Unwanted Calls - PERMANENTLY

So, I get ~3-6 calls every day that's just the same BS; Scam calls saying I can lower my CC interest rates and to press 1 to speak to a representative. They always call from a different number, so blocking them individually doesn't work since it's never the same twice. If you DO press 1 you get a rude person who will cuss at you, call you names, or laugh at you if you ask to be removed. That will only make it worse. I've recorded dozens of calls where they say really effed up things to me. Beyond harassment, straight up abuse.

I have been getting them for years, I DO NOT own a credit card, never have owned one, and have never even applied for one - plus there's THOUSANDS of pages on Google about this type of calls being a major problem.

After more than 2 years of filing formal complaints/reports with the FCC, Local PD, FBI (as told to by the FCC), USCC, and have seeked legal advice from my lawyer as to getting this stopped via getting a subpoena so uscc has to release the real call origin trace, I'm on the Do Not Call list... - I've been met with ONE solution that has been common on all counts; change my number. That's not really an option, I've had this number since 1997, I'm not about to change it for obvious reasons.

Now, I've tried many apps to get this stopped, ranging from free to paid, and have not found one that ACTUALLY works toward getting it stopped, many are difficult to use or require WAY too much effort and personal information in order to do anything but ask you to donate.

Until now... With Google Voice

How it works:

I do not use Google Voice normally as I do not give out my GV number; instead I use it as my Voicemail. People call my normal number and I have it conditional call forwarded (conditional means its only forwards when its busy or I do not answer) to my GV number. This is done on USCC's network by using *92(GV number)

So now when someone calls my phone and I don't answer, it rolls to Google Voice as my voicemail and from there I can block calls. In this scenario it still rings to me but if I don't answer and I have them blocked they get a nice "this number has been disconnected" message. It only takes them one or two times before they then quit calling thinking the number is disconnected. It's a great alternative and I get to keep my cell number.

You have the option of sending them directly to voicemail, treating all their calls as spam, or blocking them entirely. Here's how blocking works:

1. Log in to your Google Voice account.

2. Find the call you want to block (or the voicemail that resulted from it).

3. Click the "more" link underneath the call.

4. Select "Block Caller."

Then the rotten SOBs hear this:

Sorry for the long read, but its been a battle I've faced for far too long. I have no idea how they got my number, but stopping it has been a brutal nightmare. Hopefully this post will help anyone in a similar situation.

Now... Barley pop time.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Additional information:

After owning an S5 for only a week, here's the list I've already accumulated of such calls:

post-3240-139866597549_thumb.jpg

If you Google them, they aren't real and were made by a robot. You can't call them back and they aren't the *REAL* callers numbers.

One week.

I have used the SIT tone with some success. Especially on my land line. The robo dialers hear it and drop the number out of their system as a bad number. Put it as the first thing on your voice mail and see if things change any.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Tell me more about this *92(my number) thing.  Does that get rid of USCC voicemail?  Cause I'm so tired of not being able to clear those without listening to them.  If I could deal with them online it would be a lifechanger.

Does it still ring the same amount of time as before?  Does it ring longer, like a few more times before GV picks up the voicemail?  I don't mind people getting perturbed for hearing that they're being redirected, but I need the full ring time to answer sometimes, especially when it's for my job and I am frantically pulling up files as it rings until I know I have no more seconds to spare.

Edited by BoгИX

Tell me more about this *92(my number) thing. Does that get rid of USCC voicemail? Cause I'm so tired of not being able to clear those without listening to them. If I could deal with them online it would be a lifechanger.

Does it still ring the same amount of time as before? Does it ring longer, like a few more times before GV picks up the voicemail? I don't mind people getting perturbed for hearing that they're being redirected, but I need the full ring time to answer sometimes, especially when it's for my job and I am frantically pulling up files as it rings until I know I have no more seconds to spare.

It does replace the uscc VM, and you can listen to them (or read them since it will put the VM into text) and choose to delete them. The VM icon still shows up as normal.

It rings the same number of times as it always did.

When you hit the VM key in the stock dialer it goes to GV VM. You enter your pin and its nearly identical to USCCs system.

You don't have to use the GV app at all, it just makes managing the VMs from mobile easier.

The caller never knows they were redirected. They just hear the greeting you set (or the stock one which I use) and leave a message.

It is so much easier than it seems - once you forward the VM to GV its done and you manage the whole thing as you always did except you have more options now via GV.

One thing I noticed is that it will treat missed calls (since it redirects to GV) as outgoing call minutes since its no longer inbound. But it only counts as 1 minute since its just to VM.

Your GV number NEVER shows up to the caller - they never know you use it unless you use the stock greeting that says "the Google subscriber you've called is unavailable, please leave your message after the beep"

No problem!

I'm just glad I found this sweet tool - Na7q is the one who brought it up to me. I had seen it and thought about it before but never really did anything until after talking with him - so he was a big inspiration to me finding out about it.

I am glad it helps others - it does what every carrier should offer - and its free. How can you POSSIBLY beat that!?

Edit:

I installed GV on my laptop and it will pop up when you have a new VM. That's pretty sweet. You can listen to it right on the phone without calling your VM or on the computer. My god this is unbelievable.

Just curious - How would one switch back to USC voicemail (if they ever wanted to that is)?

Dial *920.  Thanks to Saren for figuring that out in chat.  

Here's the calling features site:  http://www.uscellular.com/features/calling.html

This does not actually *change* the voicemail.  This simply enables call forwarding from your phone line to another line.  

You could use it with your landline and an old school tape answering machine if you wanted.  It just so happens that GV works as a high-tech, web-based old school tape answering machine on a landline.

Rub you only need *920.

Sent from my real Moto X using Tapatalk

Can I call you daily pretending to be a sexy school girl? -_-

Only if I can join.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Sure, you'll just hear the same tune every other blocked call does. It only works once. Lol

Tell me more about this *92(my number) thing. Does that get rid of USCC voicemail? Cause I'm so tired of not being able to clear those without listening to them. If I could deal with them online it would be a lifechanger.

Does it still ring the same amount of time as before? Does it ring longer, like a few more times before GV picks up the voicemail? I don't mind people getting perturbed for hearing that they're being redirected, but I need the full ring time to answer sometimes, especially when it's for my job and I am frantically pulling up files as it rings until I know I have no more seconds to spare.

It does replace the uscc VM, and you can listen to them (or read them since it will put the VM into text) and choose to delete them. The VM icon still shows up as normal.

It rings the same number of times as it always did.

When you hit the VM key in the stock dialer it goes to GV VM. You enter your pin and its nearly identical to USCCs system.

You don't have to use the GV app at all, it just makes managing the VMs from mobile easier.

The caller never knows they were redirected. They just hear the greeting you set (or the stock one which I use) and leave a message.

It is so much easier than it seems - once you forward the VM to GV its done and you manage the whole thing as you always did except you have more options now via GV.

One thing I noticed is that it will treat missed calls (since it redirects to GV) as outgoing call minutes since its no longer inbound. But it only counts as 1 minute since its just to VM.

Your GV number NEVER shows up to the caller - they never know you use it unless you use the stock greeting that says "the Google subscriber you've called is unavailable, please leave your message after the beep"

I have it set up. Google tried to mess me up, because the activation # they gave me started off with *72 instead of *92, but once I ignored that, it worked fine.  The one thing that doesn't work as you state above, which isn't a big deal, since the Google Voice app does just fine, is the voicemail dialer on the keypad still goes to the USC VM.  Not a big deal, just wondering if I've missed something.  The voicemail settings give my google voice number as voicemail #.

Edited by Bogy

To change the voicemail default you do it in the dialer settings.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

To change the voicemail default you do it in the dialer settings.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I just figured out all I had to do was hit the speed dial setting once and it worked. 

Yeah Google tells you to use *72 and idk why, I emailed them about it so hopefully it gets fixed.

But yeah. I love it so far.

You can change the greeting from the stock dialer just as you normally would or even a PC if you wanted to.

Sounds what I did years ago when I still had a landline phone.  I used talking caller ID to play a message that said the number had been disconnected to any call that came up unknown or blocked.

Or put your cellphone number on www.donotcall.gov once you register with that after 30 days they will be fined if they call you and ignore the FCCs do not call list. Only things that are exempt are presidential campaign/alerts. Even your service provider has to check this before they call you. . I did it years ago as I had tons of calls from media University's and other spam. . Not had one since

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I've done that. Several times.

They're illegal callers. All robocalls - there is no human unless you hit 1, all you have to do is answer and you're back in their call list. I said that in my OP. They don't abide by the FCC laws. And I've filed 33 FORMAL WRITTEN complaints with the FCC, nothing came of it and it didn't stop.

Update:

I've had 210 missed blocked calls as of Thursday the 22nd... But none Friday, so MAYBE its finally getting through to them?

I still hope horrible things on these (censored) (censored) and their families.